"Physical Address Extension"

Strange. According to that link, XP should understand PAE and should allow you to see all 4GB of your RAM...

Doesn't work all the time cause all the hardware have to match up or something like that. Someone said it the forum once, and this have been posted like so many many times, lol.

Windows XP supports a 4GB address-space, you shouldn't be getting this confused with RAM. Address-space is used to address everything from RAM, the System ROM, APIC(s), PCI devices etc.

What this means is that your copy of XP is allowing 3.25GB of the appropriate address-space to be reserved for addressing RAM, and the remaining address space is mapped for other uses.

The next thing you are probably wondering is why this doesn't happen when you have less RAM? Well, the answer is short:

At startup, the BIOS determines the hardware components that require address space and calculate how much is required for the system. This is then subtracted from the 4GB maximum, and the remainder is allocated to RAM. If there is less RAM then the allocation, then all the RAM is available to the system.

Hope that clears things up.

so my 4 GB ram is not being being used? is it the same case in VISTA 32bit as well?

Its the case in all 32-bit OS's. I never got how people think this is a MS thing.

ive read about the PAE and it's supposed to allow all 4GB to be used under 32-bit. idk the requirements to make this work though. anyone know?

PAE allows the system to support more than 4GB of RAM not address-space in a 32-bit system. The available addressing space in XP x86 is still only 4GB, so the allocation i mentioned earlier will still apply.