Mac OS X 10.2 Theme?

there is a nice one that doesn't need Window Blinds called Smooth stripes by KoL very nice theme... im sure if you ckec getskined.org or deskmod.com you will find lots of WB..

Waaaaat Wb 4 Blazeing Fast

( on My box )

whats ur box tho a 3Ghz ?.. 2gb DDR ? lol..

here are sites you can get nice themes off :

Belchfire.net

DeskMod

Deviantart

Get Skinned

Osiris Media

Shell Extension City

Stardock

TGTSoft

WinCustomize

Waaaaat  Wb 4  Blazeing Fast

( on My box )

whats ur box tho a 3Ghz ?.. 2gb DDR ? lol..

here are sites you can get nice themes off :

Belchfire.net

DeskMod

Deviantart

Get Skinned

Osiris Media

Shell Extension City

Stardock

TGTSoft

WinCustomize

nope p4 2.25 ghz

512 DDR

yeah i know :huh: was just trying to help cos i know WB runs slow

It runs fine on mine as well.

AMD 1800+

512Mb DDR2100

:no: Don't know why people diss it. It runs fine for most people, and WB4 helps even more. It has alot more features. And a smaller foot-print in the memory compared to Msstyles. I use msstyles though since there arent good enough skins that use WB4 yet :cry:

WB4 runs great here on my work PC :)

AMD Duron 600Mhz

256Mb SDRAM PC-100

GeForce 2 MX400

WindowsXP Professional

Loading the theme initially is a little slugish but after its loaded its fast!

Why oh why do you guys keep comparing msstyles with an unreleased product (aka WB4)? It may be fast as you say, i do not claim otherwise, but it is not in the public domain for everyone to try yet, it's only for OD subscribers. So it really doesn't help us non-OD subscribers understand your point.

Just my 0.02 ?

edit : w00t, 100 post:):)

yeah i know :huh: was just trying to help cos i know WB runs slow

Yep, it is really slow, and there are more little bugs in themes then msstyles :(

Like was said above, WB SUCKS BIG TIME :p :rofl:

Crap, Crap, Crap Ware :rofl: :rofl:

• 2 months later...
Yep, it is really slow, and there are more little bugs in themes then msstyles :(

Like was said above, WB SUCKS BIG TIME :p :rofl:

Crap, Crap, Crap Ware :rofl: :rofl:

try wb4. :p

People who don't like Windowsblinds should post in the Windowblinds forum. Just avoid it and accept the fact that some people actually like this software.

Thank you. Please drive through.

Why oh why do you guys keep comparing msstyles with an unreleased product (aka WB4)? It may be fast as you say, i do not claim otherwise, but it is not in the public domain for everyone to try yet, it's only for OD subscribers. So it really doesn't help us non-OD subscribers understand your point.

Just my 0.02 ?

edit : w00t, 100 post:):)

Don't think anyone try to compare msstyles with wb4 initially:):)

The one who post this thread ask for some info on WB skins in a WB area forum (sounds logical), someone say it is slow while someone say it is fast. Just let them to try with some WB skins if they want.

WB4 is not available to both ODN subscribers as well as 'registered users' as well, believe shareware version should be available in coming 1-2 weeks.

Differences between WB and VS

by smoke

Sunday 2 February 2003 - 3:48:47

Here is my explanation a little on how it works, what the differences are between Visual Styles, and Windowblinds.

When Microsoft was working on WindowsXP, they got together with Stardock and worked with stardock to get something similar to Windowblinds (then 2.x) technology in order to make a skinning program to bundle with XP. So it works in a very similar way. Both tell XP to instead of drawing the normal bland interface, draw it with the images\settings of the desired theme.

What is the difference between the 2 you ask? The included Visual Styles uses a service called simply enough, the "themes service". Which is an .exe which communicates with a dll, called uxtheme.dll. This .dll initiates a system wide hook which intercepts and replaces painting calls in the system for painting windows.

The way windowblinds does it is practically the same. Except instead of using the "themes service" svhost.exe it uses wbload.exe as it's themes service. So either way you *are* running a seperate .exe apart from just using "classic" unskinned windows as your theme.

I figured this out especially when I was using Windowblinds and I shut down and disabled the "themes service". And nothing bad happened. When you are using windowblinds if you don't plan on ever using luna or any other themes service visual style. You can run "services.msc" and scroll down to your themes service and shut that off to get back some memory. You can also do this if you don't use themes at all.

The other difference between the themes service and Windowblinds is flexibility of themes. With the themes service you are stuck with the microsoft way of titlebar layouts. If you want MacOS or BeOS, or if you want to deviate in any way from the layout that was in Luna, (besides simply changing the bitmaps). You are out of luck because they only designed the themes service for Luna.

With windowblinds i have OSX style titlebars. I have all 3 buttons showing up on the left, when they are disabled they show a disabled button, in Aqua it shows as a transparent colorless button instead of not showing up at all as in a visual style. When you mouseover them all 3 light up with their glyph but when you click them only the one you click presses. This is only possible with WB's scripting. I have substyles in my skins which have a button on the right which when you click on it it rolls up the window. On the subtyles that don't have this I have it setup to roll up the window if you double click on it. You can't do this with a visual style unless you add freeshade to the equation. You also can't change your titlebar layout on a visual style unless you use shellwm but that adds another theme and bugs to the equation.

The reason why some people have noticed that visual styles work with certain programs that WB doesn't. This is because visual styles don't skin anything other than the titlebar on programs that aren't "theme aware".

WB 3.5 and later have an option to act the same way only skinning the titlebars on non theme aware apps. Or you could set a exlusion with those settings for apps that don't work. I myself guess I'm kind of lucky that I don't really have any applications that have a problem with being skinned even though they are not theme aware.

The only thing that visual styles really have over WB is the fact that you can get a uxtheme.dll hacked for free and WB is shareware. Though I find especially as a theme author that WB gives me more bang for my buck and no I don't work for stardock. I am just a long time user of WB and I call it as I see it. And yes I have tried out Visual Styles.

I also really didn't like TGTsoft's QA tactics and their supporters when they first where around, trash talking and saying things which weren't really accurate.

Right now I'm beta testing WB 4.0, and it has some good features which I am now building into my skins. Such as skinning the log off screens. Plus features such as "Smart Painting" which in addition to the acceleration options already in since 3.something makes WB skinning nearly as fast as having no skin at all (depending on how complex the skin is).

WB 4.0 also is getting the ability to skin cmd.exe command prompt windows. Something that no other skinning program including the themes service can skin because it's a protected window.

In closing, I know some people might think that since visual styles are bundled you are not running anything extra when in fact you are running an extra .exe and dll over a non skinned XP the same as when you use WB. And that is another reason why I like WB, it's because it's constantly being improved on and made even faster, where visual styles are stuck where they where when build 2600 of XP came out.

Though it probably won't ever be as fast as no skin at all. Stretching and blitting bitmaps always takes more cpuram than no skin. I believe it can almost be as fast especially after using the betas of WB 4.0 for a bit.

For some people it might be fine just to use that service to give your XP a different look. But that doesn't mean that WB is not a viable alternative anymore.

It's just like Microsoft bundling defrag, or wordpad, or licensing roxio's easycd to put into explorer. That doesn't make those better than disk keeper, office, or your cd burning program of choice (eayscd platinum, nero burning rom, etc.) right? Same here. Would any self respecting designer use ms paint over adobe photoshop?

Most of the bundled programs I consider pretty much demos, once your needs exceed what they can do you get a third party package.

In addition it really isn't good for microsoft to squish a little guy such as stardock. They where in an antitrust case for a reason. Even though we are using a MS OS we still should show support to third party software makers who give them some competition.

Now it's Dazzla's time to quote something:

No spamming. Spamming is characterized by the initiation of threads or posts that contribute nothing to a forum, be it off topic or on topic. Examples include: empty bodies, bodies with few words that have no relation to the current thread or discussion and those posts that state they are spam, either to annoy, advertise or increase a member's post count. Resurrecting old forum posts is also not appreciated unless it serves a worthy cause to the forum. This determination is made by the forum Moderator or Administrator and is not up for discussion.

There, I feel better now.

One of the good places has been posted, b00zo's themes include smoothstripes etc which have been officially ported to Windows by Smoke.

Tell that to everyone else who has turned this into another WB vs VS thread. I was trying to end the argument so that we could get back on topic. But sure... my post is spam because it was bigger than the other completely off-topic posts. ;)

WB4 is not available to both ODN subscribers as well as 'registered users' as well, believe shareware version should be available in coming 1-2 weeks.

brad said it would be availble next week :)