Slipstream XP SP3 onto my original SP1 disc or SP2 disc?

Neither. If you have it, XP Gold is your best bet.

I wanted to ask this question, since its a similar topic, i'll ask here the. :)

Wats best for slipstreaming sp3; with xp+sp2 or xp vanilla(original untouched)?

Strange, I have a 1075 error after a fresh install of XP SP3 which disables my Security Center. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Scirwode

does it fix the slipstream in vista problem with the vlk edition?

No, it still needs to be slipstreamed running under an XP host.

Is it possible to slipstream SP3 rtm to a Windows XP VLK SP2 disc under Windows XP SP3 RTM

Yes.

I just wanted to comment on the this. I personally dont see an issue with getting isos via a torrent because it is just the software and no licence being pirated, and I agree with the guy I just quoted. I will say this alot of folks on this forum swear up and down they are the software police. But I dont know if any of you remember but at one time this forum had all kinds of links software people could download at one time. It is just amazing how so many folks can get this holier than thou attitude when this place use to have more piracy going on that any of the torrent stuff we got out there now. I remember seeing all those windows xp 5 in 1 discs and such when windows xp first came out.

Amen Brother.

I did it with my SP2 disc and nLite. Worked perfectly, except the automation stuff. But all good!

It's far better if you can XP Gold -> Sp1 -> Sp2 -> Sp3 on a disc, that ensures that all files are updated in proper order.

I did read a quote from MS somewhere that Gold -> Sp3 didn't work, but everyone has said it did. But now there's an out of date file problem on the disc, as someone's pointed out.

Guess this was the warning they meant....

Why does it have to get so complicated... I wished everything just worked. I'm just worried cause I will be updating SP3 when it rolls out.

Then update like a regular user. Format, Install and then Install SP3. Nothing to worry about.

A regular user doesn't format when you upgrade.

Thanks for pointing that out. Let me change it for you.

Download SP3, Update.

Done. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for pointing that out. Let me change it for you.

Download SP3, Update.

Done. Nothing to worry about.

Aha.

Girlfriend's PC had SP3 RC2 installed..........uninstalled it first, as you should do. Warning popped up with list of stuff that may not work if I done so (like everything on the system). System totally ****ed up with crashes and memory errors etc. Managed to install SP3 final and reboot, but what a mess!! Totally unstable with no network connections working, errors greeting me at every move.

Total reinstall was needed and SP3 runs smooth as silk now......nightmare! :(

Aha.

Girlfriend's PC had SP3 RC2 installed..........uninstalled it first, as you should do. Warning popped up with list of stuff that may not work if I done so (like everything on the system). System totally ****ed up with crashes and memory errors etc. Managed to install SP3 final and reboot, but what a mess!! Totally unstable with no network connections working, errors greeting me at every move.

Total reinstall was needed and SP3 runs smooth as silk now......nightmare! :(

A regular user wouldn't know what RC2 is now would they ;-)

It's far better if you can XP Gold -> Sp1 -> Sp2 -> Sp3 on a disc, that ensures that all files are updated in proper order.

I did read a quote from MS somewhere that Gold -> Sp3 didn't work, but everyone has said it did. But now there's an out of date file problem on the disc, as someone's pointed out.

Guess this was the warning they meant....

No its not. Thats far.....a waste of time. I went XP RTM -> SP3 no issues.

No its not. Thats far.....a waste of time. I went XP RTM -> SP3 no issues.

Same here. I slipstreamed SP3 RTM to Win XP Pro RTM with no problems.

How would one go about slipstreaming SP3 onto a Gold disk, though? I assume many programs that handled SP1 and/or SP2 wouldn't work in the same way with SP3.

EDIT: Doesn't matter, nLite worked (Y)

Edited by King Mustard

I slipstreamed sp3 into the RTM with nlite and it seems to be fine, but I would like to know what would be a proper Volume label?

I just added sp3 to the middle WXPsp3FPP_EN

I used a different volume label accidentally when I made my SP2 slipstream back in 2004 (I was supposed to use WXPVOL_EN but didn't), but it never mattered. It did back in the '90's for some programs, perhaps for Win9x, but that's difficult to remember now.

Here's a nice reference to Win labels though:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342

And a nice slipstream procedure in case anyone wants it:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_create_a_bootable_xp_sp3_cd.htm

Another dumm question ( hehee)

THERE was a SuperCd older version , with multiple possible setups of xp enu , sp2 fully intergrated.......

Has anyone tried to slipstream THAT version ??

And it is ok to slipstream an ORIGINAL version i suppose eh??

But what about the OTHEr versions????