[Xp] is there a command line to purge the mft zone

Hi

I know there are some command line to purge the mft

well right now i don't know the name of command line

does somebody know how purge the MFT ?

thanks

What are you talking about? The mft is what tells the OS where to find your files. The command to "purge" the mft is "format".

It does a bit more than just tell the OS where to find the files.

The Master File Table (MFT) contains metadata about every file, directory, and metafile on an NTFS volume. It includes filenames, locations, size, and permissions. Its structure supports algorithms which minimize disk fragmentation. A directory entry consists of a filename and a "file ID" which is the record number representing the file in the Master File Table. The file ID also contains a reuse count to detect stale references. While this strongly resembles the W_FID of Files-11, other NTFS structures radically differ.

$MFT Describes all files on the volume, including file names, timestamps, stream names and lists of cluster numbers where data streams reside, indexes, security identifiers, and file attributes like "read only", "compressed", "encrypted", etc.

As allan has already mentioned, the way to purge it would to format the filesystem ;)

What are you talking about? The mft is what tells the OS where to find your files. The command to "purge" the mft is "format".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry everyone, this is the funniest topic I have seen for a long while! :laugh: @ Allan :laugh:

It does a bit more than just tell the OS where to find the files.

The Master File Table (MFT) contains metadata about every file, directory, and metafile on an NTFS volume. It includes filenames, locations, size, and permissions. Its structure supports algorithms which minimize disk fragmentation. A directory entry consists of a filename and a "file ID" which is the record number representing the file in the Master File Table. The file ID also contains a reuse count to detect stale references. While this strongly resembles the W_FID of Files-11, other NTFS structures radically differ.

$MFT Describes all files on the volume, including file names, timestamps, stream names and lists of cluster numbers where data streams reside, indexes, security identifiers, and file attributes like "read only", "compressed", "encrypted", etc.

As allan has already mentioned, the way to purge it would to format the filesystem ;)

thanks to all

but i mean a clean up of the old voice of files i deleted that are still in the Mft

i'm sure there is a command line to clean and purge the old voices

but i mean a clean up of the old voice of files i deleted that are still in the Mft

i'm sure there is a command line to clean and purge the old voices

You could try defragmenting your HDD completely (including the slack space).

I believe I saw such a command somewhere on JKDefrag forums so pretty sure it does exist, doing something like formatting is OTT and silly.

The Master File Table knows how to manage itself very well. When you "delete" a file, the MFT marks the entry as reusable and the space will be overwritten before the MFT needs to expand. In other works, I don't see why you want to mess with the MFT. Just leave it alone.

"clean up of the old voice of files i deleted that are still in the Mft"

I think someone's tinfoil hat might be on a bit too tight ;)

If you looking to securely delete your files, while at the same time remove the names of said file(s) in the MFT.. I do believe sdelete is what your after.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897443.aspx

To overwrite file names of a file that you delete, SDelete renames the file 26 times, each time replacing each character of the file's name with a successive alphabetic character. For instance, the first rename of "foo.txt" would be to "AAA.AAA".

Another secure delete tool that states it clears up file names from the MFT

http://www.myplanetsoft.com/free/wipehelp.php

Wiping old Master File Table (MFT) Entries

Even thought you delete the unused space the old file names (those not wiped by wipe03) still remain in the hard disk. There is no straight method to remove these old file names from MFT. Wipe03 however can wipe old MFT entries with the /M option in NTFS volumes only. The method desribed next wipes the data of 99% to 100% of all old unused MFT entries (it does not remove the MFT entries, only overwrites their data safely with random values).