[Official] LittleBigPlanet: Play, Create, Share!

Once the games out might be a good idea to have a separate topic for all the creation junkies.

And leave this topic for general discussion/SP questions and level recommendations.

No?

First LittleBigPlanet reviews to go live tomorrow night

Just a quick heads up for those of you who need a game’s strengths and weaknesses quantified by numeracy: Eurogamer.net and an as-of-yet-unnamed-US-site will be publishing their respective LittleBigPlanet reviews tomorrow night at midnight UK time.

These will be the first online reviews of the game. Bet you can’t guess the scores.

Source: http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/11/f...tomorrow-night/

I'll hedge a bet on 1UP being the USA site.

10 hours to go!

I'm wondering if that 600mb is a "buffer" for user created levels and the likes? (I assume from the get go, you'll have a limit on your planet of how many levels you can have stored)

Or if they come on top of the 600mb. We'll know soon enough.

Interestingly, and I never found out why, but my Japanese copy of the beta was larger than the EU copy. By a few hundred MB's iirc.

Probably just a different/longer audio script.

lbpunboxing.jpg

lbpmxb.jpg

Eurogamer review - 9/10

It was the little game with big ideas. A compact, cute PS3 platform game from a tiny indie studio that wanted the world to muck in with its making, using level and object creation tools. But with time (and not very much of it at that), LittleBigPlanet became a very big game indeed.

It took off, like one of its own rocket-propelled skateboards. It became the poster-child for a new generation of gaming; commentators and Sony executives showered it in buzzwords, talking up connected communities creating constellations of content, portraying LittleBigPlanet as Spore in skate pants.

Sony got giddy with all the reflected glory and love. First it promoted the game's Sackboy avatar to platform mascot and ubiquitous totem of cool, and then elevated LittleBigPlanet itself to the status of a triple-A, blockbuster tent-pole of its entire platform strategy. It as good as said that this was the game that would save PS3, and even those who'd loved it at first sight had to wonder whether Media Molecule's funky experiment could take the strain.

Amidst all this big talk though, one of the game's big ideas got lost in the chatter: an idea that will probably mean more to more people than any of the Game 3.0 posturing and theorising, or the daringly ambitious online features, or the astonishing freedom of the creative tools. LittleBigPlanet sets out to resurrect the simple fun of a game you control with left, right and jump. It sets out to make the side-scrolling platform game relevant and exciting again. And it succeeds.

Continue Reading - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=259015

Edited by Audioboxer

LBP bundle confirmed for October 31 in Europe

littlebigplaneta7.jpg

SCEE just confirmed to VG247 that its LittleBigPlanet bundle will launch in Europe on October 31.

The pack will contain the game, an 80Gb PS3 and a DualShock 3 for ?299.

It doesn’t sound like the cute DualShock 3 packs containing nothing but the controller and the game are going to make it out of Japan, either: a rep told us this morning that the machine pack was the “only” LBP bundle being offered in Europe.

LittleBigPlanet releases on October 24.

Source: http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/13/l...dles-stay-east/

Gamasutra Opinion: Why LittleBigPlanet Is Web 2.0 For Games, Fulfilled

[in a new editorial, Gamasutra publisher Simon Carless uses his LittleBigPlanet Beta experiences to examine why he thinks one of this holiday's most-awaited PlayStation 3 games represents "the future of user-generated content on consoles".]

I have seen the future of user-generated content on consoles, and it is the Beta version of Media Molecule's much-awaited LittleBigPlanet -- which the nice folks at Sony were kind enough to give us advance access to, ahead of its imminent PlayStation 3 debut.

Now, I'm sure some might accuse me of hyperbole in the face of relatively little evidence. And it's true that I can't tell what's going to happen to the community based around the game, when the full weight (and, hopefully, ingenuity) of the PS3 masses are brought to bear on it.

But the game has managed to do what console titles have thus far shuddered to provide - an open, easy to use creation system that lets the community make the magic, while the creators stand back and marvel.

Why is this such a big deal, and what makes LittleBigPlanet's air of creativity so different?

Here's the key things that LBP does correctly with regard to user-generated content. Previous console games just haven't managed many of these -- often through no fault of their own:

Continue reading: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20561