Classics for free

I'm looking for a game that I used to play on a demo disk. Of what I can remember, you were a kid and the first level was a "scary" dark level outside and you had to rescue animals using a slingshot as your weapon. I'm thinking Halloween Harry but it's not that. The word Halloween rings a bell but I could be wrong. It was a side scroller game with not bad graphics. Anyone remember it?

586100157[/snapback]

The name that you mentioned is called Monster Bash which was released by Apogee, same company which released Halloween Harry (aka Alien Carnage). This game is still shareware & you can download the shareware version from many sites around the net.

3D Realms' Stargunner Re-Released As Freeware.

3D Realms has re-released their all-action 1996 side-scrolling action game as freeware:

Deep within the Andromeda galaxy, the people of Zile grow restless--and greedy. The Zilions secretly prepare for a massive strike against the nearby planet Ytima. Fearing such an attack the Ytimians train an elite squad of "Stargunners." Their mission: To strike the planet Zile first, and cripple the Zilions three strongholds, where the Zilion war fleets await the launch order. If the Stargunners can surprise the Zilions on their own planet, and destroy most of their fleet, then good will triumph at least one more time.

The best PC shooter is here! The graphics, music and sound effects in Stargunner are simply brilliant. This game sets a new standard is PC shooter graphics and a level of detail and animation that's not been seen on the PC before. Okay, this is all sounding like too much hype but when you've got the best what else can you say. ;)

Download

post-21827-1119480747.jpg

Jennifer Diane Reitz & Stephen Lepisto who had a video game company years ago called Accursed Toys has released their old game called Boppin' as freeware. Boppin's is a puzzle game which was sold as shareware & published by Apogee. You can download Boppin' from Jennifer Diane Reitz's site located at http://jenniverse.com/#Boppin .

I checked for this title of at Home Of The Underdogs & they mention that this game was released in 1996 by Sega which means that this game was avaliable commerically which means that downloading this game is illegal which means that we can't give you any download links to this game.

586046661[/snapback]

So Home of the underdogs isn't issuing it as abandonware. I downloaded it and it works fine there was nothing mentioned about having to pay for it or anything. Are you saying that it hasn't actually been released as abandonware yet?

Anyone know where I could get Goosebumps - Escape from Horrorland as this was a great game which I never got a chance to complete because of it being a demo of it that I had. Even if its not been released as abandonware or freeware any help would be appreciated

So Home of the underdogs isn't issuing it as abandonware. I downloaded it and it works fine there was nothing mentioned about having to pay for it or anything. Are you saying that it hasn't actually been released as abandonware yet?

586131721[/snapback]

Let me explain one thing, software is never truely abadonware. Site like Home Of The Underdogs use this term to make people believe that the companies have abadoned their games. Just because a program is no longer being sold doesn't mean that the companies have abandoned them, they still own the copyrights which makes what the Underdogs is doing illegal. This is the reason why the link to Home Of The Underdogs was removed by cappuchok from the first post.

Just because you downloaded it & nothing was mentioned about paying doesn't mean that it is ok. The Underdogs deals with downloads of commerical software which is no longer being sold but w/out the permission of the original copyright authors.

This is why links to Home Of The Underdogs isn't in this thread. Even though Underdogs has some legal downloads, they deal mainly with illegal downloads which go against what cappuchok started this thread for which are commerical/sharware games which have been re-released for free downloads by the original authors, not abadonware.

Anyone know where I could get Goosebumps - Escape from Horrorland as this was a great game which I never got a chance to complete because of it being a demo of it that I had. Even if its not been released as abandonware or freeware any help would be appreciated

586131732[/snapback]

This game is commerical software which is still being sold as of this minute & it has not been re-released for free download.

To anyone asking about abadonware, check out this site at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware to understand about what abandonware is & why it has nothing to do with this thread. Abandonware is software put onto the Internet for download w/out the original copyright author's permission.

This game is commerical software which is still being sold as of this minute & it has not been re-released for free download.

To anyone asking about abadonware, check out this site at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware to understand about what abandonware is & why it has nothing to do with this thread. Abandonware is software put onto the Internet for download w/out the original copyright author's permission.

586131829[/snapback]

Thanks for your help I always thought abandonware and freeware were the same thing but thanks for correcting me. Any idea where I can get the goosebumps game as I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks for your help I always thought abandonware and freeware were the same thing but thanks for correcting me. Any idea where I can get the goosebumps game as I can't seem to find it anywhere.

586136959[/snapback]

You can find links to sites selling the Goosebumps game at http://www.google.com/search?q=Goosebumps+...:en-US:official , You can also check out EBAY to find a used copy.

Does any one know if GTA 1 and 2 are as good as some have said? I want to try them but only if I can be bothered typing my details and waiting for the large file to download.

Last year, Jeff Massung released the registration code for his shareware BASIC compiler for the Gameboy Advance aka GBA. The program is called DragonBasic & it is a BASIC compiler for the GBA which allows you to create games/apps for the GBA. Games/apps programmed using DragonBasic can't be sold, to sell them, you have to get a license from Nintendo to do this & you will need to pay Jeff Massung for a DragonBasic commerical license.

But DragonBasic is a great prog to create homebrew games for the GBA. Jeff Massung released the registration code since he can't work on DragonBasic as much anymore since he got a job last year with the game company called Volition, Inc. You can read about this at http://forums.zhilaware.starfusion.org/viewtopic.php?t=7 .

You can download DragonBasic from http://db.zhilaware.starfusion.org/jm-BASIC/www/download/ & goto http://forums.zhilaware.starfusion.org/viewtopic.php?t=181 to get the registration code.

I know it's been a while but I want to thank everyone who told me that the game was Monster Bash. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I can sleep now

Good morning!

I'm new here (looking for a patch for 7th Guest, and ran across this) and I find some of what was mentioned here quite interesting.

A few years ago, I found a box in a cabinet containing maybe 70 or 80 3.5" floppy disks. They dated back to my IBM PS/2 system from oh so many years ago. (I still have the PS/2, in working order)

I was thrilled to find that while the PS/2 couldn't read many of the disks, the floppy drive in my new computers could read it well. When WinXP came along, I was sorely disappointed to find many old games I loved wouldn't run.

A few weeks ago, I found a program that might be of interest to many of you. Namely, the ones who said the following:

It doesn't work on XP, so i had to install a 8GB harddrive with win 98, and that's the only thing on it. but oh boy, was it worth it.

------

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:\ [Directory of game .exe I'm trying to run]

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

[Close] [ignore]

Nothing happens if I choose Ignore... PLEASE HELP!!!

------

There were certainly a lot of them, and none of them to the best of my knowledge works under WinXP.

Since XP is not based on the old MS-DOS core like other home Windows versions, DOS programs don't run well, if at all. To remedy this, there's now a sourceforge project to emulate a x86 MS-DOS system. So far, all my games have worked beautifully on it, with only minor tweeks (adjusting speed, sound, etc.)

It takes a bit of configuration, but I highly recommend DOSBox.

DOSBox emulates an Intel x86 PC, complete with sound, graphics, mouse, (modem)?, etc., necessary for running many old DOS games that simply cannot be run on modern PCs and operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux and FreeBSD.

Also on the DOSBox site is a list of games known to work on DOSBox.

-Sarten X

@ Sarten X: Yes, DOSbox is a true gem of a program, and one most of us classic gamers can't live without. Best thing, of course, is that it's cross-platform so you can run the games under Linux as well. Thanks for mentioning it, as I'm not sure it's been linked to before in this thread.

I should also mention that Battlecruiser Millennium (the sequel to Battlecruiser 3000 AD) has now been officially released as freeware since it is no longer supported. It is available from several reputable game sites such as Gamespot, 3D Gamers, FilePlanet... a complete list of mirrors can be found on the official site.

As a side note, don't forget that Battlecruiser 3000 AD was also officially made freeware some time ago. Mirror list can be found on the official site.

@ Sarten X: Yes, DOSbox is a true gem of a program, and one most of us classic gamers can't live without. Best thing, of course, is that it's cross-platform so you can run the games under Linux as well. Thanks for mentioning it, as I'm not sure it's been linked to before in this thread.

I should also mention that Battlecruiser Millennium (the sequel to Battlecruiser 3000 AD) has now been officially released as freeware since it is no longer supported. It is available from several reputable game sites such as Gamespot, 3D Gamers, FilePlanet... a complete list of mirrors can be found on the official site.

As a side note, don't forget that Battlecruiser 3000 AD was also officially made freeware some time ago. Mirror list can be found on the official site.

586246172[/snapback]

Dosbox is an excellent program. I have it installed on my 3.20 GHZ Gateway comp since it runs Win XP & Win XP has very little DOS support. Also since Dosbox is cross-platform & open source, it has been ported to Linux, OS2, Debian & other OS's. In fact, DOSBOX has even been ported to the XBOX console, I have it for XBOX. I have a chipped XBOX but I haven't gotten the chip to work yet, once I get it to work then I will run Dosbox on my XBOX.

http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/

Wing Commander : Privateer Remake

586250065[/snapback]

As the title says, it's a remake (and a fan-made one at that), not an official freeware re-release of a previously commercial game. Still, since it is based on the Freespace 2 engine which is now open-source, I guess it's sort of related to the topic... :)

On another note, Codemasters-related studio Invictus (developers of "1nsane") have released their neat-looking Flashback-esque game "onEscapee" (to be interpreted as "One escapee"). Originally released on the Amiga, the PC version is now freeware and features 640x480 graphics in high-color mode. Apparently it has recieved a lot of good reviews. It's available from the official website and the download weighs in at ~130 MB.

Edited by cappuchok

On another note, Codemasters-related studio Invictus (developers of "1nsane") have released their neat-looking Flashback-esque game "onEscapee" (to be interpreted as "One escapee"). Originally released on the Amiga, the PC version is now freeware and features 640x480 graphics in high-color mode. Apparently it has recieved a lot of good reviews. It's available from the official website and the download weighs in at ~130 MB.

586251375[/snapback]

Wow, loved this game on the Amiga, was awesome, thanks cappuchok (Y)

As the title says, it's a remake (and a fan-made one at that), not an official freeware re-release of a previously commercial game. Still, since it is based on the Freespace 2 engine which is now open-source, I guess it's sort of related to the topic... :)

586251375[/snapback]

I've been playing it for a bit now, yeah its not the official one but there's only a few things you can tell about it.. thats remade

586251375[/snapback]

I'm trying this. First impressions are good. BUT: I can't get started - am getting killed every try! How does one begin this game? Tried to Google and found one reference saying that this first hurdleis illogical but it doesn't give you a hint as to how to proceed!

hey guys, i downloaded One Must fall, but cant get the sound to work properly. i got Asus A7n8x-e delux with nforce 2 Ultra 400 (onboard sound) what config should work?

I've been playing it for a bit now, yeah its not the official one but there's only a few things you can tell about it.. thats remade

586252823[/snapback]

It is a bit illogical I suppose, but I remebered it from the first game ...

Run to the left until you get to the tree

then crouch/roll under the fallen tree

carry on to the left until you reach the electrified post

wait here until the waste machine hits you (the illogical bit)

this will throw you passed the electrified post

now crouch again and roll until you get to the space ship

timing is needed here now as you must wait until the waste machine is about to fire and run away.

if done correctly you will survive and the space ship will be vapourised.

run to the newly created hole and continue from there

Hope that helps. From what I remember the walkthrough was on the original amiga cd. Had a quick look for it, but can't find it. It may be packed in the loft, but not venturing up there and looking through all them cases :(