Google Chrome Browser

After 15 mins browsing, testing a lot of sites, on Windows 2003 Server R2 it hammers the **** out of the CPU. Random spikes and the fans kick in for ages.

All pages I tested worked well. Some a little slow, some painfully so, others very quick. Lot of work to do on this. I would put this as late alpha rather than beta.

Type in about:memory in the url bar. :o

And shift+esc for the task manager.

interesting that it reports Firefox's memory in about:memory (if you have it open)

So anyone know how to update the WebKit or is that built in and we must wait for Google to update that?

They said in the webcast they haven't submitted any patches to webkit dev yet.

Once they merge with the webkit dev, there will be hopefully nightly's done for chrome.

I would expect a few months for this to happen or possibly tomorrow, who knows.

Cntrl + Shift + N - Epic Icon.

I am pleasantly surprised, in the screenshots it looked crap but it looks really nice in Vista, speed was blistering, interface is really nice. Still though they need some essential features such as mouse gestures and adblock and the memory numbers just don't add up.

interesting that it reports Firefox's memory in about:memory (if you have it open)

Reports opera too any popular browser I think.

Here's the thing. Lots of great ideas, the comics if you've sat and read all 30 pages get you really excited as a web developer...but then my first impress when I opened it was "oh, no title bar? oh no status bar?".

I know they want to "redefine" what a browser should be, the browser hasnt really changed in over 10 years, but it doesn't NEED to change. Theres no problem having a status bar, theres no problem having a title bar. Its removing something for the sake of it.

I'll give it a few hours use, because already I can see its quicker than firefox...not that that's a difficult task.

Godam its so fast.

Making me realise how SLOW firefox is.

Wow, this browser is really awesome at first glance, but i'd love a bookmarks bar similar to the one found in Safari and Firefox. Otherwise, I've switched, cant wait for a Mac version.

EDIT: Just found the bookmarks bar :D :D :D :D :D

I don't really like it. Tried it for a while.

It's REALLY slow for me. I also don't really care for the layout now that I've got used to it on Vista. I'm not sure if it's a bug, too, bu the status bar at the bottom moves around when I put my cursor by it, which is really annoying.

Just feels unfinished, but it is the first version. If it gets better it should be good.

Well this does suck...I can't listen to radio using it. It seems to mess it all up then I fight to get the window closed. :(

Okay, annoying. I can't just type MSNBC or something in the address bar and have it take me to the site. It takes me to a search page. :p

Flash kinda sucks and popups won't leave me alone! grrr

Edited by Triliaeris

It's nice, but it seems like they're trying to do away with the menubar which doesn't work very well (for me). Instead of just clicking 'Bookmarks, History, etc' in the menubar, you have to use a keyboard shortcut or click the wrench button.

Does the installer not work with a proxy? It won't download at work. And I can't find a full installer anywhere to download. What a pain.

Urgh same here, how lame.

It's nice, but it seems like they're trying to do away with the menubar which doesn't work very well. Instead of just clicking 'Bookmarks, History, etc' in the menubar, you have to use a keyboard shortcut or click wrench button.

I like it this way, because menu bar takes up valuable real estate. And they made it pretty to use without it.

It's nice, but it seems like they're trying to do away with the menubar which doesn't work very well (for me). Instead of just clicking 'Bookmarks, History, etc' in the menubar, you have to use a keyboard shortcut or click the wrench button.

Agreed big-time. The bookmarks thing is really annoying.

Well, the bookmarks along with most visited sites and recently closed tabs are on the homepage, by clicking on the home icon (if you chose to show it) you have full access to history and bookmarks at the click on 1 button.

Does the installer not work with a proxy? It won't download at work. And I can't find a full installer anywhere to download. What a pain.

Make sure you've got it set for the OS. It wouldn't work until I did this in a command line: proxycfg -u (for importing IE settings in Windows XP only) and netsh winhttp set proxy proxyaddress:proxyport (for Windows Vista)