Google Chrome Browser

Not a bad start in the right direction for Google.

It seems pretty lean and light.

Firefox used to be lean and light....but now it's getting heavy like IE and others.

The GUI is pretty cool too.

Looks nice and it's fast (faster than firefox), but I won't be changing from Firefox till I get my add-ons support :) (need my adblock like many others)

The"Google" branding next to the minimize/maximize/close button annoys me as well. Would rather it was on the left side (or not there at all heh).

Firefox definitely needs to get native glass support rolled out pronto, and a better theme...

Aw... wonder why there is no support for text shadows.

App seem pretty quick and responsive, I hate their installer though, didn't have much control over anything. Also installed a stupid google start up item.

Seems like a failure to me so far. Released way too early.
I disagree. It seems like a good product for a beta, and especially since this is their first browser... Can you imagine what IE, Firefox, and Opera were like when they first came out?

I disagree. It seems like a good product for a beta, and especially since this is their first browser... Can you imagine what IE, Firefox, and Opera were like when they first came out?

I agree. While I'm having some issues, it's their first browser. Just because it's Google doesn't mean they are, or should be expected to be, perfect on a first release.

It's nice, but it seems like they're trying to do away with the menubar which doesn't work very well (for me). Instead of just clicking 'Bookmarks, History, etc' in the menubar, you have to use a keyboard shortcut or click the wrench button.

That's actually exactly they way I already have fx setup so I digg it.

SoulEata

Right-click on bookmarks bar to always show it.

Not the issue...my issue is that in IE7 I have 9 visible bookmarks in the link bar before it goes to the submenu, whereas in Chrome I have 7 before it goes to the submenu.

Make sure you've got it set for the OS. It wouldn't work until I did this in a command line: proxycfg -u (for importing IE settings in Windows XP only) and netsh winhttp set proxy proxyaddress:proxyport (for Windows Vista)

Still fails :(

Does the installer not work with a proxy? It won't download at work. And I can't find a full installer anywhere to download. What a pain.

The installer downloads a file off of the googlevideo.com domain. If your employer blocks access to googlevideo.com, you're done.

IMO, pretty stupid decision.

It's not like they had to start from scratch anyway. ;)

The installer downloads a file off of the googlevideo.com domain. If your employer blocks access to googlevideo.com, you're done.

IMO, pretty stupid decision.

The installer attempts to download this file. http://cache.googlevideo.com/chrome/instal...e_installer.exe

If your employer blocks access to googlevideo.com, then you're stuck. Pretty stupid decision by Google.

Ah, yeap, that's the culprit. Employer blocks 'video' sites. Bad move, Google. But I'm guessing they did it because the bandwidth on those servers would support the immense requests, I'm sure.

Can somebody mirror that exe somewhere? Maybe it's workable as a stand-alone install?

The neowin speed issue is just to do with webkit mainly. Odd.

Bit more testing, and once caching kicks in a little more the browser become pretty responsive. Safari 4 is still beating it in most things (for me anyway).

Man, it's unbelievable that people are bitching about a "BETA" product. That is the biggest reason I hate writing software - the ******* clients.

It's running really nicely for me in a VM on Vista.

Is there any Google product that isn't in beta :D ?

Hate how the status bar blends in with Neowin's color scheme. :s

post-62693-1220386702.png

I thin it added GoogleUpdater and GoogleTalk to my startup items. :o Did I miss a check box during install? Those weren't in there for sure.