Google Chrome Browser

Pretty sad actually that most people would never have tried a Webkit based browser until Google of course comes out with Chrome here when Safari uses it just fine also. But, hey, that's competition for you I suppose.

Seems pretty slick, but opens 4 processes? Even for a beta that's alot if you ask me, hell IE8 B1 only had 2 open :D But it's a first beta, no biggie. Safari nightlies still render faster though (anyone know if you can use the webkit nightlies with Chrome like Safari?)

Safari doesn't have a large portion of the browser market, it's less than Firefox and IE. But most people on Neowin have heard of Safari or Webkit since we are a tech community and I would assume most people on this site have tried it out. But, look at it this way, Chrome is getting attention from the tech community since it was just released today. You probably won't see average Joe using this since they probably haven't heard of it yet. Hell average Joe doesn't even know of Safari, but Apple has ways of sneaking in Safari on Windows computers ;)

4 processes? That's because there is a process for each tab you open.

Ctrl+F and then type away :)

That's not find-as-you type.

Find as you type in Firefox literally finds text as you type it. No need for CTRL+F. Firefox is currently the only browser I know of that supports that feature.

Actually I had 1 tab open with 4 processes at the time. I found through the in-browser task manager that it opens a process for everything it seems, a tab, an activex plugin, shockwave or flash etc etc. So that would explain it (mostly).

Just tried out the 'Create Application Shortcuts' feature for the first time. Its like Mozilla Prizm. Never actually tried it before tho. Did it for Google Reader. THAT IS COOL! Opens a clean toolbar less window, and clicking links within that window, opens another window too, doesn't open any tabs in that application window. I like that a LOT.

greaderxv9.jpg

Yeah, Google Docs works fine for me as well.

That's not find-as-you type.

Find as you type in Firefox literally finds text as you type it. No need for CTRL+F. Firefox is currently the only browser I know of that supports that feature.

*cough*Opera*cough* (supports it too)

^ I got that when I ended one of the Chrome processes in Windows task manager. Had to see what happened if I did that. And for the record composing email in gmail works fine.

I like it so far. For those that are into EULAs here's CNet's dissection of it:

Be sure to read Chrome's fine print

Posted by Ina Fried

Moments ago, Google went live with its Chrome Web Browser. I immediately clicked download, but not before I saved a copy of its terms of service. I like to know what I am agreeing to.

Here are a few things that stood out to me.

1. Google reserves the right to automatically update and install Chrome.

This is becoming standard fare with much software these days, but worth noting.

"The software which you use may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the services."

2. Although you retain any copyrights to content you own and use in the browser, Google says it has a right to display some of your content, in conjunction with promoting its services. Here's their exact wording.

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

3. Don't be surprised to see more ads.

Traditionally, it is Web pages and not the browser itself that serves ads. Google isn't saying it will change this paradigm, but it's terms of service don't rule that out either.

"Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you."

Also worth paying attention to are the settings when you install it. By default, Chrome will add all manner of shortcuts, so if you don't want it to do that, be sure to click "customize these settings."

Of note, it does not make itself the default browser without a user agreeing to do so.

Source: C|Net

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

I missed that somehow. Sorry Google, that's not very nice.

Uninstalls Chrome. :cry:

For a first release, this browser's great!

So far, rendering's good. Matches and surpasses Opera's speed; even Opera's Presto occasionally breaks apart pages, but this doesn't.

Oh and Neowin flies on Chrome. Too bad the RTE doesn't work. :/

They should give us an option to choose the install location. For now in Vista it places it in AppData\Local (Local Settings\Application Data on XP)

I thin it added GoogleUpdater and GoogleTalk to my startup items. :o Did I miss a check box during install? Those weren't in there for sure.

They were probably there from before. The only update option added to Startup is its updater.

Capture.PNG

Nice.

Yeah. That animation's awesome. :D

It's subtle and short, yet enough to make some turn heads the first time it comes up.

Right, so I just installed this on my cousins computer as I like to see what the whole family think of a product.

He complained about the spell check over MSN to me, it went something like this

"Oi m8 evary wored i tipe en dis fing az rad lines innit"

I wonder why..... LMFAO, yes he's a Chav...

He probably would lose all his hair using OS X. :laugh:

I missed that somehow. Sorry Google, that's not very nice.

Uninstalls Chrome. :cry:

I'm pretty sure if an independent researcher finds Google shipping personal data, there would be a new fork of this browser from a third party.

sounds & looks cool, won't bother with installing though , firefox is irreplaceable atm.

Currently using the new google browser and i must admit i will never go back to IE/FF again (unless i find some incredibly flaw) firefox is nothing compared to this browser the only thing that would keep it alive is firebug

good job google now make a firebug like tool :D

I'm digging the browser already, like others have said, the Windows Vista design is win.

My only frustration is the bookmarks. They're not easy to access. You know how in IE7, all you had to was click the star and the list appeared? In chrome, I find myself having to press Ctrl+B and clicking on the 'Other Bookmarks' button.

Unless there's a simpler way that I'm unaware of?

I'm pretty sure if an independent researcher finds Google shipping personal data, there would be a new fork of this browser from a third party.

Ok. Until this gets cleared up by Google. I've moved on.

I love the "about:memory" in Chrome, but it won't natively let you make it an app :( , because it would be very handy to have a shortcut to see how Chrome is using memory. So I made a shortcut to automatically open "about:memory" in a new Chrome window.

[using XP] Create a new shortcut on the desktop/wherever with this target:

"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"  --app=about:memory

and replace username with your relevant user name.

:)

Okay, broken feature number one:

Facebook's "Everyone" option for friends list doesn't work.

And looking below this textbox (Full Reply editor), number two: That "Manage Current Attachments" dropdown is squeezed to the left.

edit: Number three: Downloads don't have a ETA or show percentage. Scratch that, it's just the server I'm downloading from.

Edited by rm20010

Yeah, that's weird. Given the popularity of Facebook I would imagine a fix for that will be quite a high priority. Even so it's very good for a first release.

Okay, broken feature number one:

And looking below this textbox (Full Reply editor), number two: That "Manage Current Attachments" dropdown is squeezed to the left.

edit: Number three: Downloads don't have a ETA or show percentage. Scratch that, it's just the server I'm downloading from.

1: Facebooks everyone is indeed not working.

2: Yup but that might be some bad code on neowins part.

3: Press Ctrl+J for the download manager.

I dont know why everyone always gets so hyped up over different web browers. Honestly, it's just an application, and a rather boring one at that.

I'll pass on Chrome for the same reason I passed on Firefox. My OS has a web browser pre installed, why do I need another one.