Google Chrome Browser

I haven't read all 34 pages of this thread, but from the pages I have read one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that Chrome does't support color management like FF3. Funny how you get use to viewing webpages in proper color then thinks look icky when you don't see them like that any more. Chrome needs ICC support now!!!

I dont know why everyone always gets so hyped up over different web browers. Honestly, it's just an application, and a rather boring one at that.

I'll pass on Chrome for the same reason I passed on Firefox. My OS has a web browser pre installed, why do I need another one.

Cause competition in the market is always good. And Chrome is really shaping up even it's BETA stage to be a good contender.

It's BETA people. Give 'em a chance.

I dont know why everyone always gets so hyped up over different web browers. Honestly, it's just an application, and a rather boring one at that.

I'll pass on Chrome for the same reason I passed on Firefox. My OS has a web browser pre installed, why do I need another one.

Uhhhh... security?

Okay, broken feature number one:

Facebook's "Everyone" option for friends list doesn't work.

And looking below this textbox (Full Reply editor), number two: That "Manage Current Attachments" dropdown is squeezed to the left.

edit: Number three: Downloads don't have a ETA or show percentage. Scratch that, it's just the server I'm downloading from.

There's a lot on Facebook that either doesn't work for me or is extremely, extremely slow.

facebook everyone in friends option works fine for me including rest of facebook. i'm using new facebook design if thats anything...

I really like the kinds of concepts this browser has, most of them are pure genius, but the only reason I won't switch is I like to keep the processes tab of task manager really clean. I have an average of 23 processes running at once - core system processes, Steam, and my firewall. I don't think I would like it if I had a browser that was using 60 different processes...

Wow, just comparing Chrome to Firefox and Opera, there's a huge difference. Chrome is almost 4 times faster!

I guess the javascript engine coders at WebKit and Mozilla now must be pulling at their hairs and racing to try to get a copy of Chrome source code to see how Google DID IT. Suddenly their brand-new SquirrelFish and TraceMonkey engines look obsolete already :p

Another funny thing is, someone at Mozilla predicted that by Amdahl's Law, even when they finish the full TraceMonkey to Tamarin/ActionMonkey transition, the overall improvement will probably not surpassing twice the speed of the current SpiderMonkey, and now V8 already blazes past that mark no sweat :cool:

oops yes i mean bottom right

I think that's a feature of the webkit engine. Safari and Arora also have it.

+1

It's amazingly great for a first beta release.

You are right, a spell checked and ad-blocking and I'll switch to it.

Just one other thing, can anyone figure out how RSS feeds are supported?

RSS feed is not yet supported it seems. However it does support inline spell checking for me already.

Seems to be working so far. But Neowin's file uploader looks kind of screwed up...

post-185777-1220397961_thumb.png

That's another "feature" of WebKit. at least better than Firefox 3's half-way approach I'd say. If you want to disable it, disable it good (text input in file upload box, that is).

Pretty sad actually that most people would never have tried a Webkit based browser until Google of course comes out with Chrome here when Safari uses it just fine also. But, hey, that's competition for you I suppose.

Seems pretty slick, but opens 4 processes? Even for a beta that's alot if you ask me, hell IE8 B1 only had 2 open :D But it's a first beta, no biggie. Safari nightlies still render faster though (anyone know if you can use the webkit nightlies with Chrome like Safari?)

well, it does have a far FASTER javascript engine than WebKit, more than twice faster than SquirrelFish in the newest nightly. Also the multi-process approach is intentional, the main program, every tab, every plugin, etc. everything that has a chance to mess up has a process all to itself. And it has a nice process manager.

Totally agree with you Emil. (Y) Chrome is showing amazing promise.

Perhaps Microsoft should throw out it's rendering engine and pay Apple to use Webkit.

Yup, Chrome actually delivers on what it promises and its hypes. They never say this will be a full featured browser in its first beta release, and most of the hype were about the multi-process tabs and javascript engine anyway, and they surely delivered (and in certain cases beyond the expectations) in those areas.

I don't think Microsoft even need to pay Apple to use WebKit, since it's licensed under LGPL/BSD-style license.

I really like the kinds of concepts this browser has, most of them are pure genius, but the only reason I won't switch is I like to keep the processes tab of task manager really clean. I have an average of 23 processes running at once - core system processes, Steam, and my firewall. I don't think I would like it if I had a browser that was using 60 different processes...

It depends.

I would prefer to use a browser that's stable and uses memory efficiently throughout 10 processes (10 tabs/pages) than one process that might bog down and uses the same or higher amount of ram than the 10 processes. 30 unstable large processes or 50 efficiently running proceses? I'll take the latter, screw the meaningless process count number.

It depends.

I would prefer to use a browser that's stable and uses memory efficiently throughout 10 processes (10 tabs/pages) than one process that might bog down and uses the same or higher amount of ram than the 10 processes. 30 unstable large processes or 50 efficiently running proceses? I'll take the latter, screw the meaningless process count number.

Well, its not that I like to brag about my process count number and stuff, but I like to keep things organized. Frequently, I will open the task manager and just close applications that way if - say - my computer was freezing up from extensive processor use. Its much easier to close things that way because under a hard load, it would take as much as 10 seconds to unminimize the window. Of course, people with 3 extra GB of RAM to spare and a Core 2 Extreme don't have to worry about that, but running a budget laptop with a 1.66 Turion and 768MB RAM I have to keep things clean.

There's Safari, but there's really no other good ones on windows besides chrome.

Darn. I'm learning to appreciate the finer points of webkit.

But because of Google's EULA, I don't feel comfortable with Chrome, right now.

There's a lot on Facebook that either doesn't work for me or is extremely, extremely slow.

True. Then again Facebook's new layout is chronically buggy. :p

Also realized you can't play back embedded (posted) videos on Facebook's home page.

edit: Another bug: Keep a window open that has the Download bar. Then switch to a window that has an embedded Flash video playing, with the video touching the bottom of the window. I'm using one of my threads as an example. The page's viewing area doesn't resize properly and leaves behind a white rectangle.

Edited by rm20010

I'm surprised that Google used a old version of WebKit, and I'm also surprised they did a bad job porting the graphics layer over.

Care to elaborate? (the graphics layer part)

I don't find Safari poor at all. I know some people find the text/font a huge issue, but that doesn't bother me at all. Runs nice and fast for me, and while the lack of addons/plugins etc does kinda stink, overall it is a very capable browser and renders like lightning (as does Chrome).

well, the main thing that keeps me from using Safari is the lack of an ability to open target="_blank" links in new tabs by default. it always requires me to use the middle-click, or it opens up in a new window. I'm really surprised that it still lacks such a basic usability feature :/

Odd, not sure why they're using such an old build.
I'm surprised that Google used a old version of WebKit,

I think it's because they have really forked/modified the webkit codebase a LOT, so it's not like you can take the latest nightly source and modify it to become Chrome. I guess they have started to fork their code from the webkit codebase for quite some time.

well, indeed if there are too many processes it can make finding other programs in the task manager harder. I guess the optimal solution would be to create a virtual environment and put all those browser processes into the virtual environment which runs as a single process. Something like running different programs in a virtual machine. It'd be great if we can have that kind of virtualization in a browser.

I don't suppose there is any other browser that uses webkit?

Safari, Arora, Midori, and a whole bunch of browsers on Mac, for example.