Google Chrome Browser

It's certainly provoking lots of discussion! The Chrome thread has been top of the Neowin most recent posts section for.. well, since it came out! :)

It isn't an editor.. Its the inspector (Diagnostic tool, sort of)

The resources tab on the inspector is really cool. Tells you things like how fast javascript renders, and the size too.

For those of you that don't know how to get to it, right click on a page, and select, "Inspect Element."

Did you guys know it has a real time HTML editor built in ?

chrome_editor.jpg

Web designers are going to love this, being able to play with website styles inline and all.

It's just a web inspector from WebKit.

Picture%203.png

If this was the very first release of the engine, it'd be an acceptable answer, but this stuff worked fine in earlier releases, so these are broken/regressions.

well, considering how much they have hacked the engine, I'd say it's kinda expected.

The resources tab on the inspector is really cool. Tells you things like how fast javascript renders, and the size too.

somehow it only works after a page load, not the first time, which I remember was one of Safari's pre-3.1 bugs, but got fixed in 3.1

I haven't tried the browser yet, since I am waiting till I get home to test it, but can you edit the javascript in real time too? Because I smell exploits all over the place here lol. But I guess what you can do with the Chrome real time, you could do with IE and firefox, just not in real time.

I don't know how exploiting your own computer would be... exploits. You are editing it on the client side, which won't affect anyone else.

What I find odd about Chrome is that it runs slower than Firefox on my P3 800. Yet, it runs faster than Firefox on my Athlon X2. Safari is the same way. I wonder if maybe the Gecko engine works better on older single-threaded CPU's, whereas Webkit runs better on multi-threaded systems.

Chrome is also slower with Flash animations.

Having said that, for a beta, this browser does pack a punch.

What I find odd about Chrome is that it runs slower than Firefox on my P3 800. Yet, it runs faster than Firefox on my Athlon X2. Safari is the same way. I wonder if maybe the Gecko engine works better on older single-threaded CPU's, whereas Webkit runs better on multi-threaded systems.

Chrome is also slower with Flash animations.

Having said that, for a beta, this browser does pack a punch.

I am on an older single threaded computer (Athlon XP) and it seems slower than FF3.

Edit:

Flash performance makes it particularly unusable.

Edited by Fred Derf

http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_No...le_s_EULA_Sucks

All your posts are belong to Google! :p

Yea, that's kind of a ridiculous thing to put in an EULA.

Although I don't really do any sort of awe-inspiring crazy creative posts in my web browser, it will be something I will keep in the back of my mind for when such an occasion may arise.

Pretty ridiculous though IMO. :no:

border-radius corners are un-anti-aliased (they are in the Cairo and CoreGraphics ports), text-shadow is non-existent (it's in the Cairo and CoreGraphics ports) and border-radius and box-shadow gives you black filled areas there the border is rounded (So instead of being transparent, it has a purely back square background)

The only thing I noticed was the lack of text-shadow on Neowin's tabs .

Chrome is great, tried it in a Virtual Machine. Can't run it in the main machine because it doesn't even start unfortunately.

That happened right after install, but I was able to start Chrome normally from the Start menu.

Picture%203.png

Blasphemy! The OS X UI's still there! :p

That "Editor" is nothing more than Mozilla's DOMInspector. Well it might be a little easier to use like firebug.

<snipped - Persephone>

Edited by Persephone

That "Editor" is nothing more than Mozilla's DOMInspector. Well it might be a little easier to use like firebug.

<snipped - Persephone>

Spam! :o

jk :p

Edited by Persephone

That's a pretty damn big share for just getting released.

Already bigger than Opera, haha... sorry to Opera fans, but I think that's justified. :)

Wonder what sites it tracks, though? Is the data skewed?