your must have iphone apps?

Ive just picked up a new Iphone 3g, I dont intend on jailbreaking it since apple seem content on bricking your phone if you do so.

So with that in mind, what are the best apps for me to download?

Whilst there are other posts stating all your apps, I just want to know your 'must have' apps? Say top 3?

Palringo ( IM stuff )

Sol Free (solitaire game)

Aurora Feint ( Columns like game with a bit of RPG elements )

That's my top 3 and they're all free.

Well there are quite a few good ones...

Midomi (music recognition software)

Air Sharing (good if you actually use it)

Facebook for me (or any other social networking or IM)

And a few games...

iPint (never gets old)

Labyrinth LE (very good puzzle-ball bearing game)

Audi A4 Challenge (name says it all)

And maybe Last.fm which is an essential for me.

alright here goes the good free apps list (yes i'm a cheapskate)

- RDC Lite - Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client

- Shazam - find out what songs are playing in the background

- IM+ - multiprotocol IM client

- Stanza - eBook reader. when paired with the OS X desktop application allows you to put ANY book on your iPhone

- VoiceNotes - quick voice notes taker. pretty nifty

- 1Password - password manager. pretty neat one, even if a little confusing

- Air Sharing - put any file on your iPhone through WiFi and read it out over WiFi anywhere

- Mahjong Lite - great time killer

- Solitaire Free - another great time killer

- Aurora Feint - another neat game

- CubicMan Lite - difficult puzzle game. but a good one at that

- Carrie's Dots - never have to draw the grid for the "connect the dots to form boxes" game again!

What do you mean by this?

you jailbreak your iphone 3g, you update in the short term future (because you want all the updates, security/features etc), they detect its been jailbroke and it becomes unuseable?

I think im right in thinking that?

Not only that, but it voids all warranty etc.

Google talk

Meebo (both are bookmarked websites designed for iphone)

WritingPad (nifty notepad/email writing program where you can glide on the letters to type the words)

Flixshop (used to be free but now $2.99) grocery list app

Shazam

AroundMe (not free but cheap)

Simplify

Sudoku

Wikipanion

you jailbreak your iphone 3g, you update in the short term future (because you want all the updates, security/features etc), they detect its been jailbroke and it becomes unuseable?

Ususally when you jailbreak it - when updates are released you don't update right away. Each update on iTunes that Apple pushes out basically does a fresh install of the phones OS.

Usually the Dev team for the jailbreak app releases an update within a week that will allow you to use the newest firmware and still jailbreak it.

Pretty hard to brick your iphone, you could always drop it in DFU mode and do a reset on it in iTunes. If you are going to take into Apple to have them look at it I would suggest that you restore it back to a non jailbroke firmware just in case.

AFAIK, that's simply not the case. You can always restore your jailbroken iPhone to stock firmware and there will be no traces of a jailbroken phone.

Also, due to the nature of how Apple does updates on the iPhone, the whole device is actually wiped, a new OS installed and all your data is "re-synced" back into your phone. It's actually not really an 'update' in the traditional sense of the word.

Really, there's very little risk in jailbreaking your phone.

^^ is that really the case?

Is jailbreaking it the thing to do then?

I mainly use windows and I understand that the dev team have released a one click tool that will pretty much do this, is that the case?

^^ is that really the case?

Is jailbreaking it the thing to do then?

I mainly use windows and I understand that the dev team have released a one click tool that will pretty much do this, is that the case?

If you are comfortable with it, then go for it. For the avg user jailbreaking serves no real need. I for one have jailbroke mine and modified a few permissions to allow me to download some ipas.

There is a tool out there called QuickPwn but it has not been updated to 2.1 for Windows users.

I only jailbroke mine for the ability to SSH. I want to custom every facet of my phone. From every icon to every noise the iphone makes, and I've done it.

Most of the apps on a jailbroken phone (cydia/Installer) are crap. Only useless programme I got was Cycorder. One of my favourites and one of the cases where it beats anything in the store and its free.

I guess thats a fair comment.

Id like the ability to have numerous themese (only available if jailbreaking?), use any mp3 as my ring/message tone (only available if JB?) and there are many more apps available when jailbreaking.

I really have no experience with the Iphone or know how much more the JB unlocks, so any other info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I guess thats a fair comment.

Id like the ability to have numerous themese (only available if jailbreaking?), use any mp3 as my ring/message tone (only available if JB?) and there are many more apps available when jailbreaking.

I really have no experience with the Iphone or know how much more the JB unlocks, so any other info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Well in my experience changing the theme and icons depends on how good you are with photoshop really, to make it all look nice. There are loads of icons and themes you can also download if you don't want to make your own though and these are really good.

The sounds for the iphone are more painfull to make. But if you want any mp3 as a ringtone do this.

In iTunes find the mp3 you want. Right click, get info and in the options there is an option to choose the start and end time. Find the bit you want (30 seconds is best) and set that as the end/start times.

Go into the iTunes preferences and in the import settings, change the import file type to m4a if it isnt already. Right click on your mp3 and click covert to m4a. Once done you will have a 30 second mp4 file.

Then you right click on the file in iTunes and locate it on the disk. Renames the extension from .m4a to .m4r. Drag this into your itunes library and it will go in your ringtones section.

Done.

I can't confirm all that though as I'm at work and its all from memory but it should be right. Give it a go.

In regards to MMS, I don't see the point. Email is far better and cheaper too. There are apps which can give you MMS but I have never tested them.

If you are comfortable with it, then go for it. For the avg user jailbreaking serves no real need. I for one have jailbroke mine and modified a few permissions to allow me to download some ipas.

There is a tool out there called QuickPwn but it has not been updated to 2.1 for Windows users.

Not just for the power user, though. There are a handful of jailbroken apps that I know the average user would find very useful. Here's a few for example:

- Cycoder (video recording)

- Categories (Cleans up your Springboard by giving you the ability to place apps in 'Folders', so you don't have like 8 pages to scroll through)

- Various Toggles (To conserve battery power, quick and easy apps to toggle on/off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.)

- Themes (The average user will usually welcome the ability to theme their iPhone)

I know at least for me, those are the main reasons why I jailbroke my iPhone.

These are must haves...

Cycorder - Video Recorder

BiteSMS - Allows forwarding and multiple recipients

Remote - Control iTunes over WiFi

Must Haves for me...

Ping lite - Helps me with testing the wireless device that we install

Trip Cubby - I do lots of miles and I can e-mail the monthly mileage to work :)

Shazam - to capture those tunes and is very accurate

1Password

Evernote - Great for note taking in text and graphics and does text recognition ( shame there is no local storage allocated on the phone yet though )

Movies - links to reviews and your local cinema ( UK and US )

IMG_0001x.jpgIMG_0002x.png

Edited by craybox