64bit OS'es

(Vista)

I'm seeing that alot of people are having one helluva time getting drivers and apps to work in 64bit OS'es. We have 64bit CPU's but the OS'es haven't seemed to progress.

why is it my CPU can handle 64bit software/OS'es but we are still in 32bit software predominantly? strange.. :blink:

I'm curious as to why. is it because of the lack of demand?

Mainly the OS and compatibility with driver issues. I don't see a reason why not to go 64 bit at this point (I got 32bit Ultimate OEM because it was like $35 cheaper when I bought it, but I can go 64 bit anytime)

Mainly the OS and compatibility with driver issues. I don't see a reason why not to go 64 bit at this point (I got 32bit Ultimate OEM because it was like $35 cheaper when I bought it, but I can go 64 bit anytime)

That would be the fault of hardware manufacturers then right?

Most applications would not benefit from the additional resources provided by 64-bit operating systems. The upcoming releases of Photoshop CS4 will support a native x86-64 executable, and I'm sure there is a number of other demanding applications that will be making the switch in future versions (ie. CAD, A/V editing and encoding, 3d modeling and rendering). Your average web browser gains nothing by going to 64-bit.

I haven't had too much trouble with drivers, all things considering. I can't really say I've gained much from going 64-bit mind you :p. The old Athlon 64 system was a test system to see how my software/games would behave on a 64-bit OS and my main system was upgraded to 64-bit purely so I could use all (4Gb) of my RAM, other then that it seems the same as 32-bit (of cause there really isn't much that is made for 64-bit, so it's hard to compare right now anyway).

Actually, compare the time between the availability of 32-bit CPUs and 32-bit operating systems, with the availability of 64-bit CPUs and 64-bit operating systems. I'd say the adoption rate is a lot faster this time around.

running 64-bit XP PRo, and 64-bit Vista Ultimate -- and have not had 1 problem - but like mentioned above, the older or more obscure the hardware is - the greater the chances of no 64-bit driver support. Most manufacturers are cranking out 64-bit stuff now, since 4 Gb RAM is becoming commonplace

Give it a year, and everyone will be going 64-bit. When 4GB becomes the new 2GB, people will be switching over pretty rapidly. I know my new PC build in 6-8 weeks time is going to be running Vista x64.

Can anyone let me know the status of X-Fi and Vista with regards to 64-bit? I want to rebuild my system, but I know there were issues with the X-Fi and ANY version of Vista. If the 32-bit version was having issues, I was very hesitant to move to 64-bit.

I have a Q6600, 2GB, & Radeon 4870.

A year ago I'd have agreed with you, but I've been running Vista x64 for six months now, and apart from a couple of hiccups it's been solid as a rock. I've never had trouble finding drivers.

why is it my CPU can handle 64bit software/OS'es but we are still in 32bit software predominantly? strange..

When ever there is something new, there should be some "backward compatibility" which it is easier to be adopted in the market (this case running the common 32bit app to the new 64bit).

Although there were problems with 64bit at the beginning, now about more than 90% are done. It is just a matter of time before most PCs will be 64bit OS with 64bit software.

Read this article: Change to Vista-64 is already in full progress - (Dating back to August).

And I quote: "Microsoft has sold more Windows Vista 64-bit in the U.S. in last three months. Worldwide, a doubling is reported."

In the U.S., Microsoft is selling more copies of 64-bit editions than 32-bit ones. Enough said.

Edited by zaidgs

Can anyone let me know the status of X-Fi and Vista with regards to 64-bit? I want to rebuild my system, but I know there were issues with the X-Fi and ANY version of Vista. If the 32-bit version was having issues, I was very hesitant to move to 64-bit.

I have a Q6600, 2GB, & Radeon 4870.

I had no problems with my x-fi in Vista 64bit. The only problem was a few programs did not run and Steam was not doing well but other than that It was a good experience.

Can anyone let me know the status of X-Fi and Vista with regards to 64-bit?

creative finally released updated drivers for their stuff a short while ago, so you'll get basic support at least

I'm seeing that alot of people are having one helluva time getting drivers and apps to work in 64bit OS'es.

i'd like to know where you are "seeing" this because this is no longer a problem. it was a huge problem for vista when it first came out but it's no longer the case. as for win xp x64 i was under the impression that it never got adopted so there was little driver support there but several people have told me the opposite so there should be no problem there as well

driver support for 64-bit OS's is no longer a problem

We have 64bit CPU's but the OS'es haven't seemed to progress.

Vista is the first major end user OS released since 64Bit CPU's were readily available (Not counting XP64, since it was a rebadging of a Server OS, and wasn't very popular)

They've done pretty good considering.

Edit: Server's don't really count here, since we've had 64Bit server OS's and CPU's for ages, We've only had end user 64Bit CPU's for the last 5 years or so (And I mean from vendors like AMD and Intel, Not counting one off chips from a small maker and such)

Well I've 64-bit isn't that great unless you use 64-bit native applications. Otherwise its pretty pointless. x64 operating systems have a built-in 32-bit emulator called WOW64.

It allows the 64-bit OS to run 32-bit applications. It runs 32-bit applications as fast as an x86 (32-bit) operating system and runes x64 applications MUCH faster. So the only noticeable increase in performance is using an application designed with a 64-bit subsystem.

Otherwise I don't suggest upgrading to Vista x64. Drivers is essentially the only problem you'll have with 64-bit. Most games play fine with x64 but some may have problems.

A great site to keep an eye on if you use 64-bit Vista is Vistax64.com

Well I've 64-bit isn't that great unless you use 64-bit native applications. Otherwise its pretty pointless. x64 operating systems have a built-in 32-bit emulator called WOW64.

It allows the 64-bit OS to run 32-bit applications. It runs 32-bit applications as fast as an x86 (32-bit) operating system and runes x64 applications MUCH faster. So the only noticeable increase in performance is using an application designed with a 64-bit subsystem.

Otherwise I don't suggest upgrading to Vista x64. Drivers is essentially the only problem you'll have with 64-bit. Most games play fine with x64 but some may have problems.

A great site to keep an eye on if you use 64-bit Vista is Vistax64.com

just liked to point it out

32bit app on 64bit windows

have a full access for full 4GB of ram each as each one has isolated environment , it is beneficial for memory heavy for app like Adobe photo shop and video encoders