Why am I about to buy my third Xbox 360 Live headset?

IMHO they're crap. Not because mine have broken but because both my wireless ones have horrendous audio quality. I'd happily pay twice as much for something that actually sounded decent...as it is I barely used the mic when playing live because I found them that bad.

Check the picture I posted earlier Kushan. I think you are referring to the other type of headset.

Yeah, if you actually look at that, it's literally a mini-phono jack with a bit around the edge to plug into the pad.

If you have the messenger plugin thing, it just has the jack at the bottom of it and the headset you get with it doesn't have the extra bits, but it does fit in both the messenger pad's jack and the controllers (if you haven't got the messenger chatpad plugged in).

MS is cheap. Really cheap. A better question to ask yourself is why you haven't noticed this yet?

Because none of my other friends have have troubles with theirs I expected my to work similarly...

I just got off the phone with the rep and I am having one sent to me. DirtyLarry, how long did yours take?

I've gone through a few headsets, not sure if it's the connector or not. I did buy the wireless but it lasts such a short period of time, it's barely worth it, and mine keeps cutting out, biggest waste of money so far for me 360

I've gone through a few headsets, not sure if it's the connector or not. I did buy the wireless but it lasts such a short period of time, it's barely worth it, and mine keeps cutting out, biggest waste of money so far for me 360

That is kind of why I strayed away from them. I have heard more bad than good and most of the time don't have any issues at all with my wired one (other than this).

The best wired headset i got, was the one supplied with the chatpad, it worked great with or without the pad connected. Shame my kid has put it somewhere, and I can't find it

Can't you just buy a decent 3rd party headset and be done, instead of pouring out money for the official one if it's breaking on you?

edit: Ahh just read you're getting a free replacement, fair enough, but I dunno if they'll replace again if it breaks haha.

The original headset broke physically very easy though. The little clip where the mic attached was very prone to snapping.

Happened to me once.

I had the headset from when Xbox live was launched and was flawless (Y) Did you keep unclipping it a lot or something?

I just got off the phone with the rep and I am having one sent to me. DirtyLarry, how long did yours take?

Had it within 4 days if I recall correctly, and I called on a Saturday or Sunday, so it was indeed pretty damn fast. :yes:

The original headset broke physically very easy though. The little clip where the mic attached was very prone to snapping.

Happened to me once.

Same here. One of my brother's friends snapped it off pretty easily. Needless to say I was a little irked.

edit: Ahh just read you're getting a free replacement, fair enough, but I dunno if they'll replace again if it breaks haha.

It sounds like they will as long as it is under warranty which should be fine for me.

Because none of my other friends have have troubles with theirs I expected my to work similarly...

TurtleBeach makes quality 3rd party headsets for the 360. I don't remember model numbers but you should take a look into those.

Can't you just buy a decent 3rd party headset and be done, instead of pouring out money for the official one if it's breaking on you?

Yeah I decided a while ago next time I go to get one it'll be a 3rd party.

TurtleBeach makes quality 3rd party headsets for the 360. I don't remember model numbers but you should take a look into those.

Trust me, I looked at them when they were suggested before. The cheapest one was around $50-$60...

While I can "take my chances" with a free headset from MS, I plan to keep getting free ones if one breaks.

This last week my second Xbox 360 headset has started to stop working. About half the words get through, so it is pretty much worthless. This last headset lasted me about 6 months before my first one stopped working completely.

Check your controller's batteries as well. If you are using a wireless controller it might just have a low signal strength. You might also want to reset your router becuase you might just be getting latency with the voice function (although hearing fine brings questions). Of course, you are getting a new one anyways so if that one works then we know what it was.

But seriously, they just aren't made that great. They are very flimsy as it is, it doesn't take much for them to stop working properly. Maybe you should buy a 3rd party headset this time around?

Every 3rd party I have tried thus far has been worse than the standard 360 one. The MadCats one (only one I could find at the time) was way too loud and didn't pick up anything I was saying. Another I bought I could barely hear anything and both of them were $30-$40. I decided $20 for a mic that works as long as you don't kick it or something isn't too bad.

Check your controller's batteries as well. If you are using a wireless controller it might just have a low signal strength. You might also want to reset your router becuase you might just be getting latency with the voice function (although hearing fine brings questions). Of course, you are getting a new one anyways so if that one works then we know what it was.

The controller was on nearly a full charge when it stopped fully working. It also stopped working at my dorm where we don't even use a router, just a switch. Not sure if that adds anything to this, just thought I would mention it. Thanks anyways.