Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution

Be kind, my first "complete" review here! :)

Well, I was looking for a cordless mouse and finally, I also changed my keyboard. I was using the Apple keyboard with my PC, I loved it at first. But the lack of common keys (like the Print Screen) and having the feeling of being on a laptop keyboard all the time, got to me. So, going back to a desktop keyboard was appealing. So, even after checking Logitech Forum and seeing all the bad rap about the MX Revolution mouse, I decided to go with fellow chconline recommendation and got my Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution. You can check it out here: Logitech MX 5500 Revolution

post-7596-1225327576_thumb.jpg

Front of the box.

post-7596-1225327564_thumb.jpg

Back of the box.

post-7596-1225327584_thumb.jpg

What's inside the box.

2984835879_66ae3fc7e0_o.jpg

Here is the complete package. As you can see, the Bluetooth receiver is a small USB dongle but it works quite well and reception is not a problem. I tried it on my PC front USB, in the back of my PC and on the USB Hub on my LCD monitor. It worked all the time and connection speed is fast. Hey, 4AA included in the box!

2984835949_583fbcf0b9_o.jpg

The MX 5500 Keyboard requires 4 AA batteries to run. I don't know how long they will last. What I do know is that I'll keep a fresh pack of AA near... I wonder if it's because of the bluetooth & LCD that the keyboard needs 4AA.

2984835999_6a7f276ec6_o.jpg

Here is the LCD on the keyboard. It's not very bright. You can toggle it from white text on black background or black txt on white using the FN + Insert key.

Using the Setpoint drivers, the LCD can show you :

1) Date & Time

2) What's playing in Media Player, WinAMP, iTune (3 line display, Group Name, Song name scrolling, time bar and min:sec of song)

3) Room temperature (so it seems!) in Fahrenheit or Centigrade

4) Show your Favorites keys assigments (folder, web sites or applications)

5) Funny thing... A Key counter!!! Pointless I would say...

6) Email Inbox, show you the number of new emails you have

Finally, the Numpad & LCD can be used as a standard calculator.

2985760570_9d30513fcf_o.jpg

This is from the included quick guide to your keyboard.

The added bonus keys are : Flip 3D, Zoom In/Out, Media keys and Microsoft Vista keys (Media Center, Photo Gallery and Gadgets). All those keys can be reprogrammed using Setpoint, so if you're not using Photo Gallery, you can change that key to do something else.

As with almost all new keyboard, the function keys are small and perform dual task using the FN key, but they are grouped (F1-F4, F5-F8, F9-F12) for easy access. The keys are soft, probably too soft for my taste but it's quiet. I'll be able to speed type in the middle of the night without anyone knowing!!

The included mouse is exactly like the MX Revolution, but Bluetooth. It's a fantastic mouse, I really enjoy the MicroGear scroll wheel, fast/free-style scrolling. Just bellow the scroll wheel you have a Search button, high light a word or phrase and click on it and it will open a browser and past the text in your search engine, quite nice!! You get a thumb wheel on the side, used for Flip3D and the Forward/Back buttons. All this can be set in Setpoint.

So, I've paid CAN $189 for this combo. You guys can probably get it for cheaper in $US, it's listed at $169 on the Logitech USA Website. It's a costly combo but works quite well. Typing my review with it, feels much better than my Apple keyboard. And the mouse is the best I had so far. I just hope to never get any problems with it. The list of complains on Logitech Forum is well... something to think about.

I give it a 8/10, only because nothing can be perfect and because the LCD could be better (and a key counter?!). Don't be afraid of Bluetooth, it works quite well (I'm using Vista SP1 x64).

awesome looking, how does it feel ?? I may look into getting one myself :)

Since it's only my second day using the keyboard/mouse, I'm still quite happy with it. Feels great, like I said, the keys are soft, quiet. But it's still a desktop keyboard with real keys, not like the new wave of flat keyboard that use laptop keys (like the Apple keyboard or Logitech Dinovo).

The mouse is awesome, really like it. Smooth laser mouse, no need for a mouse pad, tracks very well (been using it in Firefox, Paint.NET, ....). And it fits well in my hand.

And I'm yet to have any kind of problems with the Bluetooth connection. Many people seem to dislike BT and prefer the 2.4Ghz wireless connection, I don't know why.

Nice review. I'm guessing the keyboard still has that rubbery coating on the palm rest?

Yes, but it's nice to the touch, and it's not in the way. My hands rest on it while I type.

The set that I have is one model lower than this, and I'm loving mines.... Also Have the Revolution Mouse, which is a much better upgrade from the MX1000.

Love Logitech and their prodcuts...

Edit: My set is the MX3000, but I've brought the mouse seperate, but my keyboard batteries have been going for 2 years now, and this is my primary computer...

Gotta hate those goddamn custom printed key labels, unconventional/non-standard key layout, and messed up Esc, F1-F12 buttons. Why can't manufacturers keep keyboard like, you know, a traditional keyboard...

That clock looks so very different from the image.

I'm not a big fan of logitech.. there keyboards look so unprofessional.

Like it isn't something you'd want in an office. I'm sure it performs beautifully, but the overall appearance of it kind of deters me.

That clock looks so very different from the image.

I'm not a big fan of logitech.. there keyboards look so unprofessional.

Like it isn't something you'd want in an office. I'm sure it performs beautifully, but the overall appearance of it kind of deters me.

My clock is different because I use the reverse contrast (black on white), I find it more visible that way.

What's your definition of a professional keyboard? As in plain with no "special" keys?

Okay, little update... I may be wrong, but I guess the Bluetooth dongle that comes with the kit is only good for the Logitech keyboard and mouse. Going in the Device Manager in Vista or using the Bluetooth settings nothing shows, it's like I don't even have a Bluetooth receiver connected to my PC.

I tried to connect another BT mouse or my MS Mobile phone and... well nothing. So it's using Bluetooth technology but it's proprietary to Logitech.

Or I'm missing something here....?

If it's the case, it's a cheap shot from Logitech.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Okay, little update... I may be wrong, but I guess the Bluetooth dongle that comes with the kit is only good for the Logitech keyboard and mouse. Going in the Device Manager in Vista or using the Bluetooth settings nothing shows, it's like I don't even have a Bluetooth receiver connected to my PC.

I tried to connect another BT mouse or my MS Mobile phone and... well nothing. So it's using Bluetooth technology but it's proprietary to Logitech.

Or I'm missing something here....?

If it's the case, it's a cheap shot from Logitech.

did you install the 'setpoint' software...should have 'Bluetooth Radios' listed in the Device Manager and in the start/programs under Logitech should be a "Device Connection Status" that you click on and then the tab 'add another bluetooth device' (Cell Phone via Connection Wizard.

snag000zc2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did anyone of you ever had the problem where Setpoint didn't have the tabs for the Mouse and Keyboard? I've installed the set today and Setpoint can't seem to set the tabs. I've had the Keyboard tab once so I rebooted to see if I'd still have it, but both aren't showing up at all.