Hands on: Windows Media Player 12's surprising new features

Finally H.264 + AAC + DivX/XviD native support! No more messing with codec packs! :D

I be tired of CCCP lol

@Ambroos

I didn't know such profiles existed, Microsoft could make a seperate installation for WMP12 to integrate Zune software with it.

Zune is all based around the social stuff, with the profiles and everything, marketplace, and so much more. WMP and the Zune software have a different use. WMP also plays everything, as long as the codec is registered on your pc. Zune's file playback capabilities are quite (very) limited, because it's not the main function of the software.

It's not just that, they realised that one of the reasons iPod and iTunes was so succesful was because they two pieces of software form a synergy. WMP works with Play For Sure devices, but it doesn't give you the whole integrated we-support-on-one-another experience. IMO thats one of the core reasons why they developed a standalone manager for Zune instead of using WMP

I be tired of CCCP lol

@Ambroos

I didn't know such profiles existed, Microsoft could make a seperate installation for WMP12 to integrate Zune software with it.

That's indeed a good thing. Microsoft is trying to promote uniformity across apps in Windows 7, but their Zune software is like (good looking) alienware...

That's indeed a good thing. Microsoft is trying to promote uniformity across apps in Windows 7, but their Zune software is like (good looking) alienware...

I concur

The thing Microsoft has to focus imo with this release is integration(which I believe they are from what we've seen @ the PDC). Apple does it so well (I'm not gonna lie).

Now, that does look very cool; however, I will stay with VLC. :)

Heh I remember VLC use to be so buggy since the last half of this year but now they seriously stepped up to the plate on all platforms

If it has DivX support will this mean MKV will be supported as well?

DivX 7 is reported on supporting MKV natively.

The articles seem to be confusing "MPEG4-in-AVI" with "DivX " (or is that ®? ) - don't make the same mistake yourself. :)

I haven't seen any coverage on what file types will be supported in this version.

@ SHoTTa you know Microsoft should implement a codec system for WMP like foobar has. Wouldn't that be something?
If you pay really close attention, there's already a good mechanism in place, it just isn't deemed like a Sane thing to do for third party codecs which is why you only see Microsoft/Windows Media codecs available via codec download. You probably already know about the malware codecs out there, stuff like the 3ivx vulnerability - this is a complex world.

In the interim, you can use WMP's "Web Help" button when you get a codec error to look up what codec you need.

i like WM12 also but the now playing for music (in Beta 6801 of Win7) could use some work, it's just this big window with a small icon for the album art. Doesn't show a counter or anything. Kinda wish it did in the empty space...

Personally I like it. I wouldn't mind displaying something like that on my big screen.

Looks nice, but one question, do they finally give you KB/mouse key mapping support? I use Zoomplayer now cuz it lets me set anything I can think of to different player options.

I have always wanted that ability in WMP. And if they have that, then I might very well switch back.

For anyone who is curious about this and missed my post in the other thread:

It seems that H.264 and AAC decoders are locked into WMP and only work on MP4 files with a H.264 stream and AAC audio.

The decoders are not accessible using other DirectShow players. The included XviD, DivX, WMV and MPEG2 work in WMP and in DirectShow Players.

So if you want to play MKV files with H.264 Video and AAC Audio, you'll have to remux them into MP4 or install an MKV splitter and H.264 and AAC Decoders.

MKV files with XviD/DivX however work in WMP (with splitter of course), as long as they don't have AAC audio.

So I guess the included codecs are pretty much useless.(Already expected that anyway :p) Still better than what Vista offered though and it might be sufficient for some people.

Edited by bb10

@zachdms and bb10 thanks for clarifying..

What I don't understand is Microsoft would know what codec they are implementing by going to the source (which is obviously free of malware). That answer seemed like a political one I couldn't get around thinking.