Major lag and high latency on O2 ADSL!

Hi there, recently i found XBOX LIVE very laggy when online so started doing speed test and pining various websites to find out what my lines latency is and i'm getting an average of 190ms!

This is clearly not acceptable for XBOX LIVE as i'm at a clear disadvantage and i switched to O2 for better service, not worse :(

BTW i'm on ADSL.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Hi there, recently i found XBOX LIVE very laggy when online so started doing speed test and pining various websites to find out what my lines latency is and i'm getting an average of 190ms!

This is clearly not acceptable for XBOX LIVE as i'm at a clear disadvantage and i switched to O2 for better service, not worse :(

BTW i'm on ADSL.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Stats on your modem would be nice. Are you on ADSL1 or ADSL2+ service? How long have you been with O2 for? Are you running any computers on the network which might be downloading/torrenting and so on?

Stats on your modem would be nice. Are you on ADSL1 or ADSL2+ service? How long have you been with O2 for? Are you running any computers on the network which might be downloading/torrenting and so on?

I'm using their ADSL1 Wifi-router but my 360 is hard wired.

O2's ADSL service went down earlier today and now came back up, but upon checking the connection via the router i'm getting some errors......could these be causing the problems?

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hmmh4.jpg

I removed the DNS Server addresses though for uploading. Could that be anything to do with it?

I'll never understand why people still take out ADSL packages in the UK, every damned one of them is a scam.

What you need to do is find out exactly how far you are from your local exchange. Anything over a KM and you're going to notice slow downs and latency issues. BT is the laziest company in the damned world and I think it's mad that they get away with all these primitive phone lines.

Get Virgin Media mate ;) DSL FTW

I'll never understand why people still take out ADSL packages in the UK, every damned one of them is a scam.

What you need to do is find out exactly how far you are from your local exchange. Anything over a KM and you're going to notice slow downs and latency issues. BT is the laziest company in the damned world and I think it's mad that they get away with all these primitive phone lines.

ADSL IS DSL. I've no idea what you're post is recommending.

You might want to run a few tests on speedtest.net or the like, see what results you get.

ADSL is essentially DSL yes but ADSL uses bog standard phone lines that cant handle modern broadband and DSL uses direct fibre cables. .. At least in the UK

Pardon? I think you're confusing yourself. OrI'm misunderstanding your post.

ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line

Are you sure you don't mean Cable?

• 2 weeks later...

Virgin uses ADSL for their ADSL services

or DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS for their Cable based services..

Enjoy your capping, traffic management, etc

Ill enjoy ADSL2+ Annex M ;)