Football: Winter Transfers 2008

"It was a difficult decision to leave Tottenham in the first place," says Robbie Keane.

Erm why bother then? Expect if he knew he would become a pawn in the Rafa / Parry / Useless owner battle he would of thought a bit harder!

Manchester City are reported to have rejected an ?8m approach from Newcastle for midfielder Michael Johnson (who hasn't played for the team yet!)

According to the BBC, this is the ins and outs of the day:

Coming in:

Everton - Jo

Fulham - Dacourt, Gray

Newcastle - Taylor

Portsmouth - Basinas

Stoke - Camara

Tottenham - Keane

West Brom - Menseguez, Mulumbu

Wigan - N'Zogbia

Going out:

Chelsea - Smith

Fulham - Leijer,Teymourian

Liverpool - Gulacsi, Hamill, Keane

Man City - Jo

Man Utd - Chester

Newcastle - N'Zogbia

Portsmouth - Hyland

Sunderland - Chopra

Wigan - Camara, Taylor

Andrei Arshavin latest: "Both clubs definitely want to complete the transfer, therefore the negotiations are still going," Zenit general director Maxim Mitrofanov has told local Russian television.

Chelsea have signed Portuguese winger Ricardo Quaresma on loan from Italian giants Inter Milan until the end of the season.

Good Signing there!

Tottenham have re-signed striker Robbie Keane from Liverpool, six months after he left the club for ?20.3m.

Keane has signed a four-year contract at Spurs with the fee starting at ?12m and rising with add-ons.

"It was a difficult decision to make to leave Tottenham in the summer," the 28-year-old told the club website.

"It proved not to be the right move for me. I know some Spurs fans will feel I let them down... but I can assure them I'll be giving my all."

He added: "This club has terrific fans and I want to repay them for all their support. We've got to get on and fight our way up that league table."

Andrei Arshavin joins Arsenal from Zenit St Petersburg until June 2012 for ?12m, AFP reports. More soon.

This from the BBC - confusion reigns!!

Andrei Arshavin's agent has told us the Russian's move to Arsenal is "more or less" complete. Apparently, I'm devastated to tell you, "tomorrow we will find out for sure if it's gone through," says Dennis Lachter, who must be well acquainted with every single football journalist in England by now. I am so, so sorry. Honestly I am.

Sunderland have signed defender Calum Davenport on loan from West Ham until the end of the season.

Ooo a comment on the BBC pages:

"My brother working in Moscow says Arshavin has joined Arsenal for four years for ?12.5m. It has just been announced on Moscow radio news."

Sky Sports News has reported in the last few minutes that the Premier League have informed Arsenal that the paperwork that will finally make Andrei Arshavin an Arsenal player will be completed tomorrow, finally bringing the seemingly interminable saga to an end.

Its done!

I bet most arsenal fans wanted more then just 1 player tho.

The point is not that we want more than 1 players to come in.. its that we needed atleast 3-4 players.. 1 in CB role (if Toure and Gallas can't play together and one of them will leave in summer, why not get a CB now?), a winger(Walcott, Rosicky out injured.. replaced by Eboue or even Denilson) and a CMf(Cesc out.. this one's solved though with Arshavin coming in hopefully) and a DMf(Song, Diaby, Denilson??? none of them are Arsenal calibre.. yet).

In summer.. we should sell Ade and Bendtner and get David Villa and Jose Baxter.. start Villa upfront with van Persie and give Vela more chances..

I can see Vela being a better striker than Pato. Though these 3 (Pato, Vela, Baxter) are the star strikers of the future.. to have 2 or all of them would be great.. J Simpson will be great too, but these 3 look to be really big.. anyways, the future looks great for English football :p

Edited by Kralik

It's confirmed!!!

Zenit St. Petersburg have confirmed that star man Arshavin will be a Premier League player...

More details to come..

UPDATE:

"Both clubs have managed to complete the deal. Arshavin will play for Arsenal from now on," Zenit spokesman Alexei Petrov told Russian television.

"The conditions of the contract are very favourable for Zenit," Petrov said. "The value of the deal is much more than ?12million."

Arshavin is believed to have agreed a three-and-a-half-year deal at Arsenal and could make his debut in this weekend's North London derby with Tottenham.

:pp