Football: Winter Transfers 2008

1 week left, well I think Arsenal should move on now.

We could pick him up on a free transfer if we so wished.

Hope so..

Zenit St Petersburg’s Andrei Arshavin may go on strike if his protracted transfer to Arsenal fails to materialise, according to the club’s chief executive Maxim Mitrofanov.

Speaking to The Guardian, Mitrofanov confirmed that the Arsenal had failed to meet Zenit’s valuation of the player.

“I told Arsenal already that we don’t accept the ?12m and they know it very well,” he said before adding, “If we were very close to each other, if it was a similar price, then we would need a meeting to talk about it.”

However, the Zenit chief executive did reveal that the Gunners had spoken to the player himself, which suggests that they have agreed personal terms with Arshavin, and the only stumbling block remains the price.

>

“I talk with Ken Friar, who is the managing director, and John Smith, who is the agent for Arsenal,” explained Mitrofanov, “I know that they have discussed everything with Arshavin.”

When asked by The Guardian if Arshavin would go on strike in protest if the deal fell through, Mitrofanov replied: “I’m not sure. But none of the big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City or Manchester United would look at a player doing this.”

Certainly, manager Arsene Wenger did not appear optimistic that Arshavin will shortly be on his way to the Emirates. He concluded: “When you want to buy a player, you go as far as you can and, if you cannot take one more step, you cannot. You have to accept that everybody has a price and the buyer has a certain amount of money and not more. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.”

The last quote by Wenger is not so encouraging but the fact that Arashvin himself really wants to join is a very good sign.. He should've bought out his contract after week 2 though.. coz Zenit are asking for a price that only City would be crazy enf to pay..

Bolton boss Gary Megson is making a record-breaking bid to sign Portuguese superstar Miguel Veloso in a ?12million deal from Sporting Lisbon.

:woot::

Mido has joined Wigan on loan for the rest of the season so he can team up with fellow Egyptian striker Amr Zaki.

Could be a good move for Wigan..

Sunderland are in talks to sell Kenwyne Jones to Tottenham and receive Darren Bent plus ?6million cash.
Juventus have joined Villareal in the hunt to sign Chelsea winger Florent Malouda by tabling a ?9million bid.
Terry Venables believes Manchester City should try to sign Marcos Senna and Carlos Puyol.

Puyol: In their dreams..

Senna: Possible.. Arsenal should definitely go for Veloso and Senna..

Edited by Kralik

It seems that Premier League money men Manchester City were keen to add Valencia forward David Villa to their ranks, with manager Mark Hughes revealing that they had made an enquiry.

However, the former Wales international has blasted Los Che for apparently slapping a price tag of €90 million on the Spanish international's head.

"We will not pay ridiculous money,"1 Hughes is quoted as saying in the British tabloid the Daily Mail.

He continued: "If a club wants us at the table, it has to talk sensibly.

"Valencia wanted ?90 million for David Villa and the fact is he isn’t worth ?90 million2p>, so no deal."

It appears that the ?108 million (€113 m) or so that the Citizens were allegedly ready to pay to sign Kaka from Milan has left other clubs demanding huge fees for their stars when City come calling, much to the frustration of Hughes.

But the former Manchester United striker is keeping calm, affirmin"It is difficult to overcome the idea that there is one price for us and another for the rest but we have dropped deals before and we will again."3up>

lol... @ the quotes in bold..

1) Wow!!!!.. just wow!!!... lol:woot:ot:

2) If Kaka was worth ?100M then Villa is also worth ?90M..

3) Well.. serves you righ:p. :p

In more City news:

Speculation in the press recently linked Sporting Lisbon midfielder with Premier League clubs Manchester City and Bolton Wanderers.

However, the 22-year-old Portugal international, who has won seven caps since 2007, has moved quickly to dismiss the reports as nonsense.

"This news is unfortunate, because this is not true," Veloso told Sporting's official website.

"I have always been happy to serve the club. The fact is that what is written is not true, which makes me very sad because I started at Sporting.

"It was Sporting who created me and I just have to thank them for everything they have done for me.

"I believe it is an attempt at destabilisation, but both myself and the team are immune to this type of situation. We are only focused on the achievement of our objectives.

"I am happy at the Alvalade and I will continue to work to help the team achieve what we want. I am committed."

Edited by Kralik

If City continue to make ridiculous bids in the region of ?100m like in the case of Kaka, then clubs will continue to demand stupid offers for players.

It's a fairly simple logic. Shame Mark Hughes can't seem to grasp it.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will make a ?7m raid for Manchester City's England defender Micah Richards. (News of the World)

City are prepared to shock fans reeling over the Kaka and Robinho affairs by unloading Richards. (Mail on Sunday)

Nice!!:pp I like this one..

And the Eastlands club are preparing a ?25m swoop for Brazilian midfielder Diego from Werder Bremen. (News of the World)

Shay Given has agreed a move to Manchester City - and Newcastle want Portsmouth's England goalkeeper David James as his replacement. (Sunday Express)

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho has indicated he could make bids for Tottenham's Jermaine Jenas or Didier Drogba from Chelsea. (Obeserver)

Arsenal have struck a deal with Zenit St Petersburg for Andrei Arshavin, according to the Russian club, but a transfer is still some way from being concluded.

The Gunners have been locked in talks with Zenit for some time over the services of the 27-year-old Russia international, who shone at Euro 2008.

Zenit have not revealed the figure Arsenal have bid for the club's long-serving star, although they claim the fee is the 'real market value of the player'.

Arshavin, who interested Spanish giants Barcelona last summer, is now discussing personal terms with Arsene Wenger's side, but Zenit say his lofty demands are currently outside Arsenal's budget.

"The fundamental understanding over the transfer of the player has been achieved between the clubs," read a statement on Zenit's official website.

"At the moment the basic obstacle in realising the transaction is Andrei Arshavin's personal requirements."

Pompey got Hayden Mullet from West Ham, no idea what the fee is but it he signed a 3 year contract, that might do us nicely....

We also signed Pele from Porto, he use to play for Inter and its a loan signing.

Pompey got Hayden Mullet from West Ham, no idea what the fee is but it he signed a 3 year contract, that might do us nicely....

We also signed Pele from Porto, he use to play for Inter and its a loan signing.

We thank you for the ?2m you gave us:pp

Yeah, ?9m for a 19 year old? For that kind of cash really needs to be an immediate impact player! There's potential there obviously considering he was player of the tounament in UEFA Under 19's but is Gianluca Nani thinking straight? Good to see we are getting rid of some of the dead wood, but aren't we depleating the team too fast? Imagine another injury outbreak like last year!

Cudicini to Spurs - Very good signing for Tottenham IMO. Even if he's 35. Might be shifting Gomes to the bench sooner rather than later.

Yeah agree I rate Cudicini very highly its a shame really he didn't get many games these last few seasons because imo since that injury cech suffered he hasn't been like he was.

Pompey could get saveloy or what ever his name is from Real Mardid on loan.

However, sky sports has said pompey has made an enquiry to stoke about Amdy Faye.

Yes Amdy Faye....

I rest my case, because quite frankly, I'm surprised I can rest my case, I dropped it and cried when I heard that. WHY!

Why do we need to even look at the likes of Amdy Faye? Is Willie McKay coming back to haunt us? He seems to have got Pascal Chimbonda back to Spurs. 'Arry and Willie are trying to kill us!

Media reports on Tuesday morning suggested the 27-year-old?s move to Emirates Stadium was nearing completion with only personal details still to be negotiated.

At his press conference ahead of the trip to Everton, Ars?ne Wenger denied that was the case.

?There is no news about Andrei Arshavin or about anybody else that is why I cannot give you anything,? he said. ?At the moment it is all quiet.?

The Frenchman was asked outright if a price had been decided and whether a deal was far away.

?[That is] not true,? he replied. ?In this job ?far? doesn?t mean a lot. I believe that we are not close to concluding any transfer, Arshavin or anybody else.

?I don?t know [if it will happen] frankly. Time is getting short and at the moment I am more focused to win the game tomorrow. We know we are in front of a big game and the most important thing is to focus on that.?

This stance is directly opposed to the noises coming out of Zenit. But Wenger?s policy through this saga has been to maintain media silence as much as possible.

?I am only responsible for the statements we make and I cannot be responsible for the statements that other clubs make,? said the Frenchman.

?Zenit look to have different voices coming out of the club and I?m not sure if it always the official voice. I believe what I see and what I hear directly.?

As ever, the official announcement of any signing will be made via Arsenal.com.

D*** it!!

"There is nothing new on Arshavin," Wenger said. "I have been concentrating on the game and not taking calls.

"But the deal is maybe 90 per cent completed. Of course, the final ten per cent of any deal can be the most difficult."

Asked when the deal will be done, he replied, "Maybe in the next two days. In this kind of job it can be difficult at this stage because people can change their minds completely."

Never used to get this crap with Terry Neil, George Graham or Bruce Rioch.

All this long drawn out annoying transfer speculation.

Michael Richards I thought would have been great for Arsenal.

We have Bacary Sagna already playing in Richards position.

Michael Richards I thought would have been great for Arsenal.

We have Bacary Sagna already playing in Richards position.

I agree.. (Y)

Your Day, a publication from the tabloid end of the reporting spectrum, claims that Arshavin's disgust with his ongoing transfer saga has seen him sit out team activities.

It is already known that he did not take part in Tuesday's 1-0 win over Litex Lovech (see here for match report), but Your Day states that this decision came from the player, not the club.

"Arshavin refuses to take to the pitch," said a 'source.'

"Plus, he is sabotaging training. (Coach Dick) Advocaat has no idea what to do with the player, now that his escapades are affecting team morale."

For his part, Advocaat admits that he is finding it difficult to field Arshavin while his thoughts remain on his future, and far from the training pitch.

As for Arshavin himself, his response to the newspaper ran as follows:

"Zenit still haven't agreed. I have nothing more to add."

Oh and Harry is after getting Keane back to Spurs..

I take it the whole "laughing" thing is down to the fact you would think we would take a ?12 million loss on Keane in 6 months? Spurs would give us ?8 million and write off the other ?11 million we still owe them for Keane, which is just under what we payed for him.

Anyway, he won't be moving in January to be honest. I'm pretty sure there is a rule that says a player cannot return to the club he left within the same season as well, might be wrong on that though...

I take it the whole "laughing" thing is down to the fact you would think we would take a ?12 million loss on Keane in 6 months? Spurs would give us ?8 million and write off the other ?11 million we still owe them for Keane, which is just under what we payed for him.

Anyway, he won't be moving in January to be honest. I'm pretty sure there is a rule that says a player cannot return to the club he left within the same season as well, might be wrong on that though...

Yeah he can't move twice in one season, I am sure also thats the rule, maybe on loan tho with a view to a full move later.

Yeah he can't move twice in one season, I am sure also thats the rule, maybe on loan tho with a view to a full move later.

They can **** off if they think they are getting him on loan.

I like Robbie and want to keep him until the end of the season at least.

They can **** off if they think they are getting him on loan.

I like Robbie and want to keep him until the end of the season at least.

Yeah I like him too (even though he's an ex Spur).. Rafa should definitely stick with him and give him a real go.. I can't understand why he prefers Kuyt TBH :huh: .. Torres was injured and Keane did get a chance to show everyone what he can do but Rafa didn't give him real go for 10-12 games.. he's just out of form..

Meanwhile..

Zenit Saint Petersburg star Andrei Arshavin has been granted a work permit and his move to Arsenal and the Premier League appears to be imminent.

Sky Sports report that there was no problem in attaining the permit and the move can now speed towards its conlusion.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is understood to want the Russian - the star of last season's UEFA Cup and EURO 2008 in the summer - in his squad as soon as possible. Potentially, the 27-year-old attacking midfielder could be in North London before Saturday's clash with London rivals West Ham United.

Seems Arshavin is about to Emirates.. FINALLY!!!!