Maxtor OneTouch Flashing Light

Ok, first off dont laugh that I have a OneTouch 1.5tb Maxtor drive. I got this a year ago for 1/2 the price since a local business was going out of business. It was a good deal...so I got it.

The problem is that the top light on the drive keeps flashing and never stops. I tried to power cycle the enclosure but that did not work. Maxtor's support site says that the flashing light means the unit is in power save mode (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=184351&Hilite=onetouch+flashing+light), but I dont know why. Windows XP and the Maxtor software both do not see the drive.

I do have the external HD enclosure plugged in to a UPS system so I dont know if this could be causing the problem. The UPS is not even close to being over loaded (using 1/4) so I know its getting power. I also have had the enclosure plugged in to the UPS for months with no issue.

The Event Viewer is showing a lot of "An error was detected in device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation" errors. I dont know if this means the external enclosure or not since I cannot tell what drive \Device\Harddisk1\D is for. I am also getting a few errors that says "The system failed to flush the data to the transaction log. Corruption May Occur" and a few "{Delay Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere" But again, I dont know if this is my internal or external (OneTouch) drive.

I have this model 1.5tb enclosure..... http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup...bo-edition.html

Any ideas? I am kind of leaning thinking that the drive attached to the UPS may be the issue since I have seen things not work correctly before when attached to UPS. I am at work now but plan to try this later but wanted to see if anyone else knows what the hell is going on. If the enclosure is fried, its fried. The good news is that I had made a copy of all 200gb of MP3s a few months ago so I am safe there. Just all my applications on my FTP server will be gone...those will take a while to get back but not extremely important.

Thanks

can you attach it to a different outlet on the ups?

have you just try attaching it to the wall/surge protector, any difference?

Did you try re-attaching/changing the usb/1386 cord?

can you attach it to a different outlet on the ups?

have you just try attaching it to the wall/surge protector, any difference?

Did you try re-attaching/changing the usb/1386 cord?

I havnt tried disconnection it to the wall instead of the UPS yet. I thought about this while driving to work this morning so I havnt had the chance to try it yet. Something I will do tonight. I did try plugging the USB cable in to a different USB jack on the PC and nothing happened. I havnt tried to replace the USB cable yet.

ok, try that tonight.

It could be that the usb cord, or that outlet on your ups is bad.

Is the disk formatted at all? does it show up in disk management? (just thought of these)

ok, try that tonight.

It could be that the usb cord, or that outlet on your ups is bad.

Is the disk formatted at all? does it show up in disk management? (just thought of these)

Windows, Maxtor software, or the Seatools do not see the drive at all. Its like its not connected to the system. All that happens is that light blinks which Maxtor's site says its in sleep mode. I do need to check to see if the power brick for the enclosure has a light on it (just read this on maxtor's site) I also checked the device manager and there are no unknown devices or anything like that.

hmm... ok, it must be a bad cord or something..

Thats what I am hoping. I just posted this thread to get ideas to try when I get home tonight. So far it could be a USB cable, power cable, or the damn drive could be hosed...who knows. I hope its not a HD issue since I will be able to salvage the two 750gb drives.

Also, any idea on how to tell what \Device\Harddisk1\D is?

Ok, it turned out to be either a bad enclosure, or power brick. I was able to find another AC adapter that was compatible with the Maxtor enclosure. I plugged that in and the light still flashed (old power adapter wouldnt work again) but the PC never recognized the drive. Also, I heard the HD keep reving up and down all the time. Then I plugged in each drive apart from each other using an external USB HD kit. Both drives worked.

Grabbed a new enclosure and xfered the drives to the new enclosure. No data loss...and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Maxtor OneTouch had Seagate hard drives. :)

well, Seagate owns Maxtor now... yeah, it looks like an enclosure problem. glad you got it fixed. :)