Counter-Strike Neo

Source

------

In a very surprising move for a Japanese arcade company, Namco has licensed the popular Half-Life modification Counter-Strike for use in its new chain of Ledzone entertainment centers, Impress Game Watch reports today. Namco's original version of the game will be called "Counter-Strike Neo," and the company plans to release a test version this month.

CS Neo is substantially similar to the latest version of the game for American PC gamers, but it incorporates a more simplified interface and a detailed tutorial mode to acclimate inexperienced players to the game. Namco's setup is built around two-on-two games, but its facilities are able to accomodate larger games, and the company hopes to host competitive events sanctioned by the Cyberathlete Professional League in the future. While a pricing structure has not been firmly set, it's likely that the arcades will charge around 100 yen for 20-30 minutes of play. That's not a bad deal -- 100 yen is the standard price for any arcade game in Japan, be it 10 laps of Daytona or three songs of Dance Dance Revolution.

Namco's new Ledzone facilities are an attempt to introduce the kind of LAN gaming popular in the United States and Korea to the Japanese market. The name is a contraction of "LAN Entertainment Development Zone." So far, there is only one facility open in the chain (in Tokyo's Ota ward), offering Internet access and CS Neo, but Namco hopes to open several more facilities in the near future

-----------

I like the idea that they bring it to the aracde but i think it will lack in many ways; standing(i think), Sound (unless they have headphones), two on two ( Less player means they will have smaller maps,alot less Team strat).

But i really like to see it as an 'arcade machine'. imho Quake 3 would of suited better in the aracdes more but its far off as in popularity to get that.

post-16-1049389576.jpg

That should give Gooseman and Cliffe some serious cash :)

I think vavle bought counter-strike iirc. but this will be good for the counter-strike team including gooseman and cliffe.

I can't agree with what they're going to do with Counter Strike but, who's going to bother anyway. I can still sit at the comfort of my own home and play Counter Strike all night if needed. That actually happens a lot less now because the game can get very discouraging and even annoying when you're always dying right of the bat and not doing much damage to the opposing forces coming at you.