[Official] Anime/Manga Thread

It's interesting that whenever there's talk about either Gundam or Code Geass it's almost always turning into negative talk :/

Edited by Capric0rn

Someone in this thread once said that Gundam was being unoriginal and uninspiring due to it's recycling of plots. The same is happening with the comments about Gundam and Code Geass.

What I'm saying is is that the "hate" towards both anime is getting kinda old. It's not necessary to constantly bring it up each time there's talk about both anime.

Someone in this thread once said that Gundam was being unoriginal and uninspiring due to it's recycling of plots. The same is happening with the comments about Gundam and Code Geass.

What I'm saying is is that the "hate" towards both anime is getting kinda old. It's not necessary to constantly bring it up each time there's talk about both anime.

I don't have a negative view of the Gundam universe. There are many gems that are part of the franchise, like The 08th MS Team and Zeta Gundam, There's no reason to criticize an anime franchise for not targeting my demographic. However, when I was in that demographic, series, such as Gundam SEED, TTGL, Code Geass and Death Note, made me feel like they were trying to dumb everything down to a five year old child's level. Bright colors, rigid, repetitive characters who are just flashy, hollow archetypes that continue to sell. It's not possible to intellectually breakdown an anime series unlike Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, Mushishi and Zegapain.

The majority of anime series that have been released in the past five years can be reduced to flashing, bold colors with mindless violence, naive girls who fall in love with the most powerful protagonists and lame slapstick comedy.

However, I am biased. I am not the average viewer, who accepts to watch mindless entertainment. I have a very low tolerance for drama and the vacuous focus on characters that don't even have a personality to reflect upon the viewer.

After watching more than two hundred anime series, due to boredom, curiosity and appreciation for anime's exploration of technology concepts, there are many things that are immediately pop out regardless of the anime series. For example, there is an unhealthy acceptance of teenage girls who have adult relationships with significantly older men. From Initial D and Honey and Clover to Speed Grapher, the disturbing background themes constantly remind you the shallow attempts at shock value.

It's arguable that anime is not my cup of tea. However, that can't ring true since I have watched too much anime and enjoyed many anime series. Maybe, I have a love/hate relationship with anime and I pick at fault with every flaw pops out at me when a series fails to suspend my disbelief.

I am the Zero Punctuation of anime on Neowin.

1005.jpg

I don't have a negative view of the Gundam universe. There are many gems that are part of the franchise, like The 08th MS Team and Zeta Gundam, There's no reason to criticize an anime franchise for not targeting my demographic. However, when I was in that demographic, series, such as Gundam SEED, TTGL, Code Geass and Death Note, made me feel like they were trying to dumb everything down to a five year old child's level. Bright colors, rigid, repetitive characters who are just flashy, hollow archetypes that continue to sell. It's not possible to intellectually breakdown an anime series unlike Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, Mushishi and Zegapain.

yet one must remember Gundam was saved by it's toys not plot of the first series but it's toys.

After watching more than two hundred anime series, due to boredom, curiosity and appreciation for anime's exploration of technology concepts, there are many things that are immediately pop out regardless of the anime series. For example, there is an unhealthy acceptance of teenage girls who have adult relationships with significantly older men. From Initial D and Honey and Clover to Speed Grapher, the disturbing background themes constantly remind you the shallow attempts at shock value.

fail for not knowing about Enjo kōsai which was and may still be popular in Japan well considering the current economic climate it might be at an all time high what might be seen as "shock value" theme in the west is perfectly normal in Japan.

i think the issues we have in this thread could be culture related.

I think anime is a love/hate relationship, because of the viewer demographic. We have these animes that are aimed at almost every age range. They try to mix little kid with adult, and we end up with some odd crap that just keeps being churned out.

fail for not knowing about Enjo kōsai which was and may still be popular in Japan well considering the current economic climate it might be at an all time high what might be seen as "shock value" theme in the west is perfectly normal in Japan.

i think the issues we have in this thread could be culture related.

I know what the phenomenon is. I still greatly disapprove of how mainstream it is in anime. Let's not forget how misogynistic Japanese society is. It has been historically, currently and will continue to be a misogynistic society that place males higher than females.

I know what the phenomenon is. I still greatly disapprove of how mainstream it is in anime. Let's not forget how misogynistic Japanese society is. It has been historically, currently and will continue to be a misogynistic society that place males higher than females.

really? from what i've seen femdom is pretty popular in Japan then again Japan seems to be the new target of femnazis

@yurithedragonhalf: What do you mean with "culture related"? Also, what does it matter what saved Gundam from whatever it had to be saved if it's an enjoyable anime? It's another one of those things you keep saying.

@Masked Forever: Well, I was just stating what was on my mind. To me it seemed that it was a re-occurring thing whenever there was talk about either anime.

@shakey: True. That's what's you get when you try to make anime fit for all ages :p GiTS, Egro Proxy etc aren't aimed at all ages which are more "mature" in that way.

Just to be clear, I don't mind the negative posts at all but this one thing was kinda getting old :p

really? from what i've seen femdom is pretty popular in Japan then again Japan seems to be the new target of femnazis

Fetish =/= gender equality. I don't see anything wrong with a movement started by women in protest of sexualized pre-pubescent girls. There has to be an equal and opposite reacting force to the loli fetish prevalent in Japanese media.

It's ignorant to say that misogyny isn't prevalent in today's Japanese society. The idea is so prevalent that it has taken root in media form, such as anime and manga. Japanese traditions place women lower than men on the status ladder.

@yurithedragonhalf: What do you mean with "culture related"? Also, what does it matter what saved Gundam from whatever it had to be saved if it's an enjoyable anime? It's another one of those things you keep saying.

when Gundam first came out the anim? didn't do to well to the point the whole project was almost canned but they made enough money on the model kits to make more.

Fetish =/= gender equality. I don't see anything wrong with a movement started by women in protest of sexualized pre-pubescent girls. There has to be an equal and opposite reacting force to the loli fetish prevalent in Japanese media.

the fact they can't distinguish between fantasy and reality is half the issue the other half is the fact they seem to be ignoring the other countries in the world where little girls and whipped and beaten daily for just looking at boys

It's ignorant to say that misogyny isn't prevalent in today's Japanese society. The idea is so prevalent that it has taken root in media form, such as anime and manga. Japanese traditions place women lower than men on the status ladder.

yeah and it's been and is still like that all over the place.

To my understanding, Gundam did very well with it's first series. Anyways, you didn't explain the "culture related" thing :p

the fact they can't distinguish between fantasy and reality is half the issue the other half is the fact they seem to be ignoring the other countries in the world where little girls and whipped and beaten daily for just looking at boys

No, that argument is wrong. Japan has the second largest economy in the world. It is in the circle of the most powerful and most advanced countries. For a type of media that sexualizes pre-pubescent girls in a society that has rampant misogyny, there is nothing unusual or surprising about a group of women protesting this art form. Their priorities are not misplaced, especially if they are mothers.

No, that argument is wrong. Japan has the second largest economy in the world. It is in the circle of the most powerful and most advanced countries. For a type of media that sexualizes pre-pubescent girls in a society that has rampant misogyny, there is nothing unusual or surprising about a group of women protesting this art form. Their priorities are not misplaced, especially if they are mothers.

bah the same BS happened with Vladimir Nabokov and his novel is still selling.

also if they get their way and have it banned then where the hell does the censorship stop eh? you can't ban one thing just because you don't like or understand it.

So i just Finished Mobile Suit Gundam 00 And it was amazing. Anyone know if Gundam Seed is worth watching. So far My favorite Gundam Series is Gundam Wing (in fact my favorite movie of all time is Endless Waltz)

I have seen

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

I have even seen the horrible Live Action Gundam movie

So i was hoping that Gundam Seed would be good.

Gundam SEED (both seasons) is worth it in my opinion as I enjoyed it a lot. Though it isn't as "mature" as Gundam Wing story/character wise, it's still a really nice Gundam series. I'd also like to recommend Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, which has mobile suits that aren't that modern which gives it a sence of realism.

So i just Finished Mobile Suit Gundam 00 And it was amazing. Anyone know if Gundam Seed is worth watching. So far My favorite Gundam Series is Gundam Wing (in fact my favorite movie of all time is Endless Waltz)

I have seen

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

I have even seen the horrible Live Action Gundam movie

So i was hoping that Gundam Seed would be good.

I saw Gundam SEED Destiny and it was a really good show. It was the first show I've seen in the Gundam series, I really want to watch the one that you just did lol

I probably should have watched Gundam 00 first, or does that matter?

^That doesn't really matter. It just depends on what universe the title comes from. Gundam 00 was the first serie in a new universe.

Say, if you watch a UC title, you'd probably want to start with the title which started that universe off (which also started off the whole Gundam franchise), and so forth. Here's a list of all titles categorized by Universe :)

^That doesn't really matter. It just depends on what universe the title comes from. Gundam 00 was the first serie in a new universe.

Say, if you watch a UC title, you'd probably want to start with the title which started that universe off (which also started off the whole Gundam franchise), and so forth. Here's a list of all titles categorized by Universe :)

Univeral era > all.

Let's call that a fact, shall we? :p

Let's also call it a fact that Eureka Seven is one of the best anime series ever to grace the Japanese animation world in the past ten years.

Mecha, romance, world politics, skateboarding/snowboarding, sky diving all comes into one amazing anime series with one of the best casts ever.

You're taking a big leap there. Those aspects do make it a great anime plus it had a great alternative story line made into a movie. Though I'm not going to agree nor disagree here as it's too big of leap imo :p It is (and always will be) one of my all-time faves and it's in my top 3 of anime series.

^Awesome! :D I'll be watching it in a bit!

@Radish™: As we could've known :p Both the OP and ED where already on the right track.