[Official] Anime/Manga Thread

@Masked Forever: There where 2 character artists working on GiTS: Hajime Shimomura and Makoto Shimomura. It was easy to figure out there where more persons working on the characters then just 1 due to the reason which you've already pointed out. It wasn't just Motoko who looked different, it where all characters who looked different. This also means that they all actually looked correct throughout the series, though drawn slightly differently by both artists. So there wasn't really a default look for all characters. The difference is also noticeable in the promo arts.

I indeed meant the GiTS manga :p I also enjoyed it less then the anime. Though I do like the originality of the manga's throughout the GiTS "universe". The manga, movies and series all had their own depiction of the world etc. Respect for Masamune that he made GiTS 2: Man/Machine Interface, even though I didn't like it either. He shouldn't have made it part of GiTS but rather use new characters and such. I also want to read the 3 new titles based set in the Stand Alone Complex "universe".

Have you also read the novel "After the Long Goodbye"? It's a prequel to GiTS 2: Innocence. I haven't read it yet as I haven't been able to get my hands on it. I do still want to read it though.

@Matrix

Eureka Seven is a great watch. If you pick up the Blu Ray version of Ghost in the Shell or Ghost in the Shell 2.0, be prepared to for a showcase of how far anime can go. By the way, I suggest joining MyAnimeList and add fellow members here, like Radish and Capric0rn. MAL also has a neat feature of displaying the sequels, spin offs and prequels of each anime or manga series you check out.

Eureka Seven is good but I felt the final episode could've been better. Also there were time Renton's character was quite annoying :p Btw added you and Radish on MAL. Although our taste in anime may very a bit :pinch:

I should get around updating my MAL. It never even has been up to date for that matter :p

It was mildly enjoyable I guess, Kazeshini gained a sense of responsibility :p

@Masked Forever: There where 2 character artists working on GiTS: Hajime Shimomura and Makoto Shimomura. It was easy to figure out there where more persons working on the characters then just 1 due to the reason which you've already pointed out. It wasn't just Motoko who looked different, it where all characters who looked different. This also means that they all actually looked correct throughout the series, though drawn slightly differently by both artists. So there wasn't really a default look for all characters. The difference is also noticeable in the promo arts.

I indeed meant the GiTS manga :p I also enjoyed it less then the anime. Though I do like the originality of the manga's throughout the GiTS "universe". The manga, movies and series all had their own depiction of the world etc. Respect for Masamune that he made GiTS 2: Man/Machine Interface, even though I didn't like it either. He shouldn't have made it part of GiTS but rather use new characters and such. I also want to read the 3 new titles based set in the Stand Alone Complex "universe".

Have you also read the novel "After the Long Goodbye"? It's a prequel to GiTS 2: Innocence. I haven't read it yet as I haven't been able to get my hands on it. I do still want to read it though.

I thought I was imagining things when I thought the female protagonist from Blood+ looked similar to Motoko, which definitely did not match. Masamune definitely should have not written GiTS 2 (manga) under the franchise banner but from a business perspective, it's the best way to get as many readers to buy the manga. I did not know that there was a novel. If it's available somewhere in the interwebs, I'll check it out. Give me a heads up if you find it.

Eureka Seven is good but I felt the final episode could've been better. Also there were time Renton's character was quite annoying :p Btw added you and Radish on MAL. Although our taste in anime may very a bit :pinch:

The final episode was terrible but I gave it a 8, because I really enjoyed the soundtrack, action and beautiful animation. Renton was annoying in the beginning but it was not as annoying as Eureka's adopted kids. If you want to see really annoying characters, check out Xam'd: Lost Memories. Same animation, same director and triple the annoying character factor. Considering how much you enjoyed Gundam 00 and Code Geass, check out Gundam SEED.

Anyone here watched Skip Beat?

No, because it's Shoujo, which might mean that the girl is very average and the guys are CEO's of multi billion companies, drawn to look like super models and are always and at least twice the height of the female protagonist with long arms and legs.

^I haven't watched Blood+ yet so I didn't notice that at all :p

I'll be sure to give you the heads up about the novel. It's for sale on Amazon but I'm thinking that it would be a pricey book if I'll order it from the Netherlands. Therefor I'm trying to look for it closer to home. Though it's a tough task as anime/manga isn't that popular here yet.

Sorry for the double post but: In what way where the characters annoying in "Xam'd: Lost Memories"?

I should sign up on MAL..

Can you add people on anime news network? I have a profile there.

Sorry for the double post but: In what way where the characters annoying in "Xam'd: Lost Memories"?

The first few episodes of Xam'd made me realize what I was in for. It was Eureka Seven vs. Princess Mononoke and Infinite Ryvius with unnecessary crying, inconsistent characters, naive boy turns into man story that borrowed too much. Even though the animation was great, the characters did not shoulder the roles they had to play. I might have looked at the character interaction favorably but after watching one of the best interpretations of Lord of Flies in anime form, Infinite Ryviuis, I did not enjoy Xam'd at all.

When I think of it, Gundam franchise, Berserk, Battle Royale and many anime series borrow heavily from two pieces of classic art: Lord of the Flies and Shakespeare's Macbeth.

Can you add people on anime news network? I have a profile there.

No. I think that MAL has a better layout and relevant links without searching too much. I believe it also has a feature to export your lists too.

The final episode was terrible but I gave it a 8, because I really enjoyed the soundtrack, action and beautiful animation. Renton was annoying in the beginning but it was not as annoying as Eureka's adopted kids. If you want to see really annoying characters, check out Xam'd: Lost Memories. Same animation, same director and triple the annoying character factor. Considering how much you enjoyed Gundam 00 and Code Geass, check out Gundam SEED.

Oh yeah. Her kids were too nosy and got away with things too easy. I checked out Gundam SEED. I enjoyed Gundam 00 more. The fact that it revolved most around what one character got a bit old a little too fast whereas in 00 it revolved around a group of people.

No, because it's Shoujo, which might mean that the girl is very average and the guys are CEO's of multi billion companies, drawn to look like super models and are always and at least twice the height of the female protagonist with long arms and legs.

This is the first Shoujo I'm watching (afaik that is) and I couldn't stand the first episode. I actually marked it as Dropped on MAL as well. But since I already had the 2nd and 3rd episode with me i thought I'd watch them too and it turned out quite funny. Atleast it has nothing to do with going to great lengths to satisfy a guy (atleast not so far anyways; still in the 10th episode).

Blu-ray & DVD Release of Bakemonogatari vol.7 Postponed Until June

According to Sofmap online store, the release date of Bakemonogatari Blu-ray & DVD volume 7 was postponed until June 9th. It will include the final episode 15 and was supposed to be released on March 24th.

@Masked Forever: I'm trying to understand what you're saying but my mind says "wtf" each time that I try too. It's like we both watched a different anime. I honestly can't see those aspects at all in the series.

@Masked Forever: I'm trying to understand what you're saying but my mind says "wtf" each time that I try too. It's like we both watched a different anime. I honestly can't see those aspects at all in the series.

I watched several shows and I thought that Xam'd it was a rehash of them all. Princess Mononoke, Infinite Ryvius, Castle in the Sky (Ghibli movie) and a few others, which resulted in me knowing what the plot twists several episodes before they happened. Eureka Seven featured two children as its protagonists. I would have dropped the show midway if Bones did not counterbalance the immaturity of the anime series with Holland and the other 20+/30+ year old crew members. Xam'd did not have that. It was getting very annoying with teenage drama (the typical love triangle, naive one liners, etc.).

We do share similar perspectives on anime but we greatly differ in some (Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Real Drive). 'Tis not the end of the world. :p

By the way, I definitely recommend checking out Blood+. Amazing animation, cool characters with a slight Shoujo feel (since the protagonist is a teenage girl). I thought it was quite interesting when I watched it a few years back.

This is the first Shoujo I'm watching (afaik that is) and I couldn't stand the first episode. I actually marked it as Dropped on MAL as well. But since I already had the 2nd and 3rd episode with me i thought I'd watch them too and it turned out quite funny. Atleast it has nothing to do with going to great lengths to satisfy a guy (atleast not so far anyways; still in the 10th episode).

The most enjoyable Shoujo series I have seen in the past two years is Ouran High School Host Club. Its story is based on a group of people who eventually become a tight knit circle of friends and pull off hilarious parodies of other anime (similar to Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei and Gintama). One of the most enjoyable shows I have seen of any genre.

Ouran High School Host Club was awesome, truly enjoyed that.

I wonder when a new, intelligent franchise comes out... There's nothing but pop culture, recursive parodies and fantasies. More world politics and action that are relevant to current times like Full Metal Panic! (Second Raid), Black Lagoon and others.

Meant to reply to this but forgot, I recommend watching FLAG. Decent world affairs plot shown through a camera lens (Y)

Meant to reply to this but forgot, I recommend watching FLAG. Decent world affairs plot shown through a camera lens (Y)

I always meant to watch the show but always put it off due to the mixed reviews it received. It sounds like Speed Grapher meets world politics. It will be the next anime series I'll watch. Thanks.

^Oh man, that looked awesome! :D

@Masked Forever: True that. Though with those other series I could see what you mean but with Xam'd I honestly can't.

Blood+ has been on my "to watch" list for a while now to be honest :p

Edited by Capric0rn

No problem.

I was momentarily surprised that Funimation picked up Dance In The Vampire Bund but then I remembered Strike Witches :p

Though this is far more important ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMOpWguqnIk

Hell yes! :D

Trigun is one show I just really didn't like.

Wasn't a fan of Vash. He's got a ridiculous bounty on his head and he doesn't even want to kill anyone..

Although it was kind of funny at some points :p