monitor Rez?

Im confuzzed!!

with my old 2600XT i would sit my desktop at 1280*1024. With my new hd4830 that same rez isnt displayed correctly. i only see a "bit" of the screen. its like im looking through a magnifiying glass and can only see the top left of my screen (approx 80% of what i should be seeing) I Cant say for sure if this happened exactly when i got my new card or not!!

i can set my monitor up to max of 1600*1200. Ironically this displays correctly at this rez, its just the 1280 *1024 that doesnt show correctly!

Hope you undertstand what i mean?! any ideas?

In addition to setting "Auto adjust" you do know that if your monitor was designed to be run at a max of 1600x1200 then you should be setting it as that since it's the native resolution.

Thanks for your responses guys. It?s an old 19? DELL flat CRT. It?s a got a great picture quality which is why I have never upgraded it to an LCD. I?ve never had this problem before. Its strange!

In addition to setting "Auto adjust" you do know that if your monitor was designed to be run at a max of 1600x1200 then you should be setting it as that since it's the native resolution.

That only applies to LCD screens, he has since said he has a CRT. (I'm not criticizing you, just clearing up so the OP doesn't get confused)

BTW: Did you try using auto adjust? You probably are using a different (higher) refresh rate with your card and that's what caused the monitor to become unaligned.

http://www.computerdisplays.co.uk/19%20inc...dell%20p991.htm

This is my monitor here, but in black!

Its playing up at all rez?s now. It doesn?t seem consistent in how it displays things now. I thought it was just at 1280*1024. but it appears to be messing about at 1024*768 and others too. It seems to be that once I set the desired Rez, then use the, what I think could be the auto adjust/align button on he monitor its self, then it almost like magnifies you in to the screen and parts are cut off, i.e. taskbar etc. I have always used this button too, which in the past normally only just centres the screen etc, not what its doing now!

Ive never had this problem before so wondering if it is something to do with my new GPU or whether my screen is on its way out?!

quick question. This would have nothing to do with chipset driver would it? i recenetly re-installed vista64 and cant be sure vista didnt use a MS gerneic driver as apposed to the nvidia chipset driver???

just a thought.

no, it's most likely related to the monitor's refresh rate, which is usually set from the graphics drivers. you DID install official graphics drivers, right?

make sure you install proper chipset drivers too as Vista (or XP too) will use a generic driver that's really slow.

Yes installed official ATI driver as always. I haven?t done anything different. And it doesn?t matter what refresh rat I choose!

interestingly i fear i am not alone. I also get this error too, which was the SOLE reason why i decieded to reformat my pc last week!!

"No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/drive...-ram-error.html

I have vista64, 4GB RAM, and am using 4830.

Gonna try 8.10 driver to see if this helps. Will report back

im now wondering if the card is defective. Just re-installed vista and im unable to install any driver now! device manager reports "standard VGA graphics adapter" rather than ATI 4800 series. There is also a code 10 on it This device cannot start. (Code 10)

PLease help!

im now wondering if the card is defective. Just re-installed vista and im unable to install any driver now! device manager reports "standard VGA graphics adapter" rather than ATI 4800 series. There is also a code 10 on it This device cannot start. (Code 10)

PLease help!

That seems rather serious, try contacting support from your graphics card vendor.

That only applies to LCD screens, he has since said he has a CRT. (I'm not criticizing you, just clearing up so the OP doesn't get confused)

Correct, error on my part for not noticing that he was using a CRT. :)

update:

OK, the reason my card wasnt detected is beacause i had decideded to install version 8.11 which (unbeknown to me) doesnt support the HD 4830 card! so panic over on that front! i installed driver 8.12 again and all seems ok'ish!

i am able to set my rez, but if i then press the autoadjust button on my screen it blows it out. this is when i can only see about 80% of my screen, excludes taskbar etc. but i press the monitor reset button it brings my rez back correctly. its wierd though as i have always been able to press the autoadjust button in the past without that sort of behaviour.

update:

OK, the reason my card wasnt detected is beacause i had decideded to install version 8.11 which (unbeknown to me) doesnt support the HD 4830 card! so panic over on that front! i installed driver 8.12 again and all seems ok'ish!

i am able to set my rez, but if i then press the autoadjust button on my screen it blows it out. this is when i can only see about 80% of my screen, excludes taskbar etc. but i press the monitor reset button it brings my rez back correctly. its wierd though as i have always been able to press the autoadjust button in the past without that sort of behaviour.

try to adjust it manually? I remember my old crt never autoadjusted properly

try to adjust it manually? I remember my old crt never autoadjusted properly

until about a week ago it used too. Whcih is why i think its either something to with the new GPU or my Monitor is failing! when i press the reset button its fine as mentioned.