Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

Windows 7 Rocks. The UI looks excellent. Better & smooth performance than XP/Vista. But I am somehow messed with superbar because I have been using taskbar since 8 years. :)

I like everything except:

Still hard to get to Network Connections

Hard to change location of 'program files' folder (e.g from C:\ to D:\Program Files)

Hard to change location of Users folder (e.g C:\Users to D:\Users)

Didn't read the whole thread but here is my exeprience if someone want to ear it :

+ The new bar is awsome, It's really an improvement, but I have to say taht I like it better without the small animation (the glowing effect that "follow" the cursor, the fading when the "preview" appear,etc...) because it make it laggy, not that my computer can't handle it, but the fading is so slooowww, not efficient.

+ The speed and ram managemant are better than vista/xp

+ overall better features than vista/xp (quite logic for a new OS)

- the only feature that I liked on vista (the detail bar whichever the folder view) is missing (I will pay 10$ to the guy who get me this working, not joking !)

- the "file types" in "folder options" is still missing, stupid microsoft ;(

not really a "-" : I like the idea of the library, but can't get used to it, i think I'm king of afraid to loose file or to forget that I have a file here or there.

(sorry for the bad english, i'm french)

• 2 weeks later...

After using Windows 7 a month or so now, it definitely has more compatability problems than Vista ever had. I don't know why so many are bragging it up so much more than Vista, because it definitely is not nearly as compatible as it gets made out to be. I had zero problems with Vista, and lots of compatability problems with Windows 7.

After using Windows 7 a month or so now, it definitely has more compatability problems than Vista ever had. I don't know why so many are bragging it up so much more than Vista, because it definitely is not nearly as compatible as it gets made out to be. I had zero problems with Vista, and lots of compatability problems with Windows 7.
Maybe because Vista has been out for more than a year and Windows 7 hasn't even been released publicly available until Oct. 22?

I dunno, my main rig is still having internet issues. I can put my laptop next to my desktop and the laptop just smokes the interenet on the desktop. It can't ever remember the connection after sleep then I have to run Network Diagnostics - Windows fixes some problem with the Card or Access Point . Works for a couple of hours then back to the dial-up speed internet. Stupid Dynex card...

This problem is driving me crazy..and I have no clue how to fix it. I've installed Vista drivers, Dynex drivers, default Broadcom drivers...

windows 7 is so great I like every feature of it...especially the speed and compatibility

I don't need to install driver cause its automatic than the vista cause in vista I found it hard to search for drivers I even downloaded a crappy program which did't helped me to find my driver. also I don't install another crappy codec program which is unsync with the audio

I still can't get subtitles to appear in mpc - i've installed and tried many codecs but none work-i'm told to use haali's or wmp renderless-even though that's what i'm using in mpc! Apart from that, it's awesome. Sometimes a window will disappear from the taskbar or get shunted to the end, and deleting or moving even the smallest of files can take 30 seconds or so, it's still awesome.

I still can't get subtitles to appear in mpc - i've installed and tried many codecs but none work-i'm told to use haali's or wmp renderless-even though that's what i'm using in mpc! Apart from that, it's awesome. Sometimes a window will disappear from the taskbar or get shunted to the end, and deleting or moving even the smallest of files can take 30 seconds or so, it's still awesome.

Uninstall all of your codec packs and download CCCP. Then from the mpc options menu, click external filters.

Now I think you click add filters, then select direct Vob(auto loading) and set it to prefer. Then restart mpc and you should be good to go.

---

On topic. I really like windows 7. Everythings faster and the taskbar has given me reason to drop rocketdock. My only beef is that you can't customize the links on the right side of the start menu. I'd love to replace the games link with the videos folder

Ok is everyone drinking the Windows 7 kool-aid? How can Windows 7 possibly get a 7 rating for features? It is virtually identical to Windows Vista SP1 in every way, save for the taskbar features there are no ground breaking features in 7 AT ALL.

Performance is improved on boot times but other than that it feels the same as Vista.

I think XP users might have a reason to upgrade, but as for Vista users its more of the same thing. Same annoying explorer windows, horrible Vista Start Menu which you are now FORCED to use, an even more messy display panel.

What an incredibly overrated operating system. This should be a pay for service pack for Vista not a new operating system. No way can I see anyone sanely justifying shelling out $100+ for this update from Vista.

I drank the kool-aid, and it tastes PRETTY DANG GOOD :D

Put this on a 1.3 GHz P4 machine with 512 RAM and 64 MB graphics. Beta installation failed, but the RC installation worked. Feels faster than XP, but that might just be because of the aesthetic interface. Boot time is much longer, but it's still quite nice!

Boot time, sleep time, shutdown time - all are way slower than vista's which is really disappointing. Vista boots in a matter of 20 or so seconds, while 7 takes about 40-60 seconds. Sleep is instant on vista, while it takes about a minute before it finally does in 7. W7 will wake up randomly in the middle of the night which is extremely annoying. All my W7 PCs would not go online last night, while all my vista ones would. Wireless refuses to connect automatically even if I tell it to. A ton of vista icons that i have no hope of seeing changed before RTM.

Speed is better and so is install time, but that's about all i can give it credit for. A lot of my vista programs are blocked for compatibility reasons and I can't even install Autocad 2009. Don't get me wrong, I love 7, but i don't know what the hell they're thinking going RTM next week.

love W7 (Y) :fun: Massive improvement on the whole and been using RC since the launch and extremely happy with the results ! :)

Boot time, sleep time, shutdown time - all are way slower than vista's which is really disappointing. Vista boots in a matter of 20 or so seconds, while 7 takes about 40-60 seconds. Sleep is instant on vista, while it takes about a minute before it finally does in 7. W7 will wake up randomly in the middle of the night which is extremely annoying. All my W7 PCs would not go online last night, while all my vista ones would. Wireless refuses to connect automatically even if I tell it to. A ton of vista icons that i have no hope of seeing changed before RTM.

Speed is better and so is install time, but that's about all i can give it credit for. A lot of my vista programs are blocked for compatibility reasons and I can't even install Autocad 2009. Don't get me wrong, I love 7, but i don't know what the hell they're thinking going RTM next week.

It really sounds like you have a bad install. Speeds for me are off the charts. Autocad 2009, Revit 2009, sketchup and Adobe Cs4 all work just fine on my install.

Could be malfunctioning drivers that are causing the issue. Older Nvidia drivers would cause sleep/wake and shutdown problems. Dell's rebranded wireless card drivers would cause some laptops to randomly wake up during sleep (these are just examples).

It really sounds like you have a bad install. Speeds for me are off the charts. Autocad 2009, Revit 2009, sketchup and Adobe Cs4 all work just fine on my install.

I don't know what the issue is. Don't really want to reinstall until RTM. Autocad 2009 won't install because it says i'm not on a supported operating system, and compatibility wizard won't convince it otherwise.

I don't know what the issue is. Don't really want to reinstall until RTM. Autocad 2009 won't install because it says i'm not on a supported operating system, and compatibility wizard won't convince it otherwise.

Are you installing x64 Autocad on an x64 Win 7 install? Or are you installing 32 bit Cad on x64 7?

Are you installing x64 Autocad on an x64 Win 7 install? Or are you installing 32 bit Cad on x64 7?

32bit on 64bit, i've heard issues about that, but i'd think since x64 supports 32bit software it would work.

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed the 64bit RTM, took 12 minutes from start of install to desktop and posting this right now.

Id say not too damn shabby myself. Hope'n for a postive expierence.

I just installed Win 7 64bit on my laptop. I am testing it now to see how it runs. I also have it on my desktop on another spare HDD but being that all my programs and files are already on Vista I really don't feel like transfering everything over and only having to do it again once the retail Windows 7 comes out. Unless anyone has any quick ideas on how to transfer my files other than a USB stick.

The GUI responds faster than Vista but I don't really see much speed difference between Vista and 7. Do you?

Absolutely love it, the new features really increase productivity once you're used to them.

Got to agree here ! I especially like how right clicking explorer on the super bar brings up recent folders.

Couple of annoying little things though :;

- toolbar player not available in wmp12

- live messenger wouldn't minimize to tray, although that was a easy fix.