Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

Some programs are unstable, and flaky. Only good thing about Win 7, the tuner here works in Media center (it doesnt in Vista MCE), thats about it. Nice interface, but not much diff between it and Vista. I've gone back to Vista x64, for the time being. At least the tuner works with its own program, and recordings arent out of sync

so far i like windows 7 had one problem so far that made me format....had the black deskto of death...not sure if its a bug...

installation 7

compatibillity 7

features 7 so far

Coming from an OS X fanboy I really like Windows 7, I didn't like it at first but heck, Its fast, has a nice UI (a windows first :p ), packed full of handy features etc...

Only problem I had is my webcam not supported and some biometric software, but meh no biggie really. I have it on a few notebooks and a couple desktops with various specs and it flies regardless if its 2GB of RAm or 12GB. I would say MS has hit a homerun here.

I finally got around to installing Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro (*gasp!* *horror!*), and so far, I think it's pretty good. Mind you, I've only been using it for a matter of hours now, but coming straight from Windows XP, this is quite the leap. The new taskbar is a huge improvement over the old one, and I really like the new layout of the control panel (for all I know, it's identical to the Vista one, so forgive me if that's the case). Fixing the few hiccups that I had along the way was pretty simple.

I'll try to give some more meaningful impressions as I use it more (i.e. get some games running and stuff).

an update for me :)

1 - cpu lag seemed to be related to wddm 1.1 graphics drivers, on 2d benchmarks were 35% less than vista, now using 182.50 nvidia drivers which are wddm 1.0 it is a much improved experience.

2 - cleartype is disabled enough now I set gamma to 0 on it, at some point I may well turn it back on.

3 - removed libraries links from explorer, if apps still default to it when I try to save/open files then I will use a hack someone gave to me to remove it from explorer completely.

so my experience is getting better now.

• 2 weeks later...

but I have this problem ( Motherboard is ASUS M4A785D-M PRO ) with Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit:

similar problems

And time after time this gonna happened. When I unplugged all power cables, Restore point simple dissapear ( were deleted ).

Everything else is excelent. No problem at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Full marks from me. Thankfully even the Vista-hating-bandwagon love Windows 7 too (Y)

I think one of my biggest gripes about 7 (and vista) is the fact that they got rid of GIF animation in windows photo viewer. Honestly?!

I found the built-in Windows Photo Viewer, to be sluggish. So I've replced it with IrfanView. You might want to check it out.

so far im pretty happy with win7, although i have had a couple of BSODs. In this regard XPsp3 was very stable.

But im too used to the jump lists and document libraries, will be staying put on win 7

Got to say...this is the first version of Windows i have liked from the first time i seen it, the install, the compatability etc is brilliant....i cannot fault it so far!!

What shocks me the most is how well it works on older systems, like a Dell D505 laptop...1.7GHz, 2GB RAM...works like a dream!!

I've actually go no complaints really for Windows 7. Installation was fast & easy. All my applications are working up to now perfectly and it runs like a dream. Couldn't ask for much more! One more thing I'm liking is the boot times are so much faster than they were in Vista for me.

Im pretty much happy with win7 home premium, installed it yesterday. win7 is very fast and much quicker than xp. installation went smooth

and it was much easier than i first expected.. well done microsoft.

No complaints. I love Windows 7 since the betas. I am primarily a Mac OS X user but I tend to use Windows 7 a lot on my Sony Vaio Laptop for gaming and on the go. :D

:shiftyninja: I do not remember if I already posted in this thread but I had only good experiences with Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit so far, install went fine, no issues. The only driver I needed was for my Creative Soundblaster Xfi gamers fatality soundcard and I changed the vid drivers from the native WDM to one I feel gave better performance. I still need to maybe tweak it out a bit but so far thumbs up!!!

X3210 @3.6ghz/AC Freezer Pro

P5K Premium/WiFi/4x1Gb GSkill F2-6400CL5-1GBNQ

EVGA 8800GTX 768mb

2x640Gb WD Black Hdd Raid0 [OS,Games,data]/WD 74gb Raptor [Data]/WD 80 GB [backup important Data] USB

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality Extreme Gamer

Lian Li Pc-7B plusII/PC Power and Cooling 850 SSI Turbo

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker system

Samsung SH-223F DVD Burner

• 3 weeks later...

What most impresses me about Windows 7 x64 is the very good separation of the user from the rest of the system. It is compartmentalized much better, this makes it a whole lot easier to build a safe environment. Linux has something known as SELinux which is very complicated to administer. Windows 7 is much easier in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Win 7 Pro x64 on Desktop and laptop, and Im more than happy with it :D Best OS ever.... from now I refuse to use computers with XP and Vista (no superbar) or any other OS :p

The only thing i miss is a way to hide/show gadgets like dashboard in OS X, because of this missing feature im not using any gadgets :p, but I can live with that

I have been using Windows 7 since the beta stage and i am quite impressed with it. I have it running on my PC, laptop and MacBook Pro. It is stable, fast and clean. It is in my opinion much better and stable than Windows XP.

Only probs I've had with Win 7 are: 1. The colour background prob. Hopefully this gets fixed in SP1 (the patch thats out didnt fix it). The USB DVB-T tuner I use, works fine in Win7 x64, but the recorded video (with AverTV), is out of sync. And changing channels in Media center lags. (using a 2.8 dual core, with 8 GB).

Whereas the recordings are in sync in Vista x64 (which is what I'm using atm, because of the above probs). Only thing with Vista is, I cant use Media Center, because it cant detect the tuner (its too new), and because I dont have the TVpack (which, from what I've read only comes with OEM's). Besides that, Windows 7 is alright I guess. Everything, I've got (MS webcam, printer, logitech 525, logitech wireless kb), works with it. And at least I can hook it up to the Xbox (whereas, in Vista I cant). And it looks like any other version of windows. Just installs faster, and its got a more colourful interface

Everything is just fine in Windows 7 :cool:

I love the style and everything is easy to use and work with :p

7 is very good but some games don't work right out of the box so thats not a problem(i can fix that)