[Official] Dexter Season 4

I am speechless myself and also surprised so many people disliked Rita. I wasn't the biggest fan of her but I at least thought there would be more dislike towards Deb's character. I've just never been able to like her myself as well as a few friends.

I will say I am sad to see Rita go, I know she has been a little annoying lately but for family shake and what not, I did not expect her to be killed like this but probably should of seen it coming since she wanted to getaway and the episode being titled that. Season 5 will be a good one, now he has to take care of the kids and baby all by himself now then try to explain everything/be investigated.

When Dexter got home that night it was all fine, but after he saw his wife everything changed. It was pretty shocking I actually kind of liked his wife, it made things interesting. Cant wait for season 5 :).

I am speechless myself and also surprised so many people disliked Rita. I wasn't the biggest fan of her but I at least thought there would be more dislike towards Deb's character. I've just never been able to like her myself as well as a few friends.

I love Deb :p I think she is amazing, she's funny and straight to the point. The show would be different without her.

Funny. My girlfriend, who doesn't watch Dexter ("too bloody") totally saw the punchline coming during the bedroom scene between Dex & Rita.

The pool of blood was a nice surprise, though.

Holy crap, I think my mind just melted. When Dex comes home, ready to change, actually wanting to be with rita I knew something was coming up. First I thought she would be cheating him with the douchebag next door and it would end with Dex catching them. just absolutely mindblown.

Why do you even come here if you did NOT watch the show? You knew there would be spoiler galore in here...

:rolleyes:

Not the point though. I didn't realize what time it was and stumbled in here and boom there it is. There's a reason spoilers tags are there, like headlights for nighttime driving. Is it my fault that I run into someone who isn't using their headlights at night? "Well, you knew there would be other cars on the road." :rolleyes:

Not the point though. I didn't realize what time it was and stumbled in here and boom there it is. There's a reason spoilers tags are there, like headlights for nighttime driving. Is it my fault that I run into someone who isn't using their headlights at night? "Well, you knew there would be other cars on the road." :rolleyes:

Your analogy you'd be the one driving with your lights off, everyone else would have theres on. ;)

wow that sounds insane!, I will now need to see this!...I am pleased though Rita is dead whiny bitch haha, what happened with Deb?

That's hilarious you said that, because my wife had just muttered 'what a bitch' a few minutes before that scene. Glad we're not the only ones that found her to be annoying

EW spoke to a producer from the show!

When was the decision made to kill off Rita?

CLYDE PHILLIPS: I would say we made the decision pretty late in the season. We didn?t quite know what we were going to do [in the finale].Why Rita?b>

PHILLIPS: The story evolved and it kind of became inevitable. We knew that we had to do more than kill Trinity. It?s a little bit of a corner that we paint ourselves into. Last year we tried to avoid that and actually I think we didn?t do as well as we could have. We killed off Jimmy Smits? character [in the 11th episode] of 12 episodes and then we had to figure out what we were going to do in the 12th episode. This season, we knew that we were going to take Trinity out in the 12th episode and we think that the audience knew that, too. We had to raise the bar to as high as possible and then figure out what to do nextHow did Julie Benz take the news that she was leaving the show?how?

PHILLIPS: She wasn?t happy. She loved being with us. We loved having her with us. She took it? professionally. She was greatly disappointed. She?s a professional. She works in television. She knew that this was a Did Trinity tell Rita about Dexter before he killed her?illed her?

PHILLIPS: I don?t know the answer to that question. We haven?t talked about next season. But [my gut says] I would think that he dMight she return as a ghost like Dex?s dad?ike Dex?s dad?

PHILLIPS: The answer, at he moment, is no. However, had you asked me two years ago if Lundy was coming back I would?ve said no. We didn?t know he was coming back until this year. It just seemed expedient to the story ? to Dexter??Some people thought the game-changing twist was going to involve Deb figuring out that Dexter is a serial killer. How much longer can you stretch out that story before you pay it off?story before you pay it off?

PHILLIPS: We?ve bounced that around the [writers] room. But once we do that? want to talk about game-changers? Once we do that, the game is changed in a way that we just don?Will next season be about Dexter juggling serial killing and single fatherhood?l killing and single fatherhood?

PHILLIPS: He is a single father. But, beyond that, we don?t know. We don?t know if there?s going to be what we call ?a Big Bad,? like Jimmy Smiths and John Lithgow, or if it?s goiI understand you wrote two endings to throw people off. What was the other ending?throw people off. What was the other ending?

PHILLIPS: While Dexter was packing to leave, he saw on the television that a child murderer had just escaped from prison. Either escaped or fallen thru the cracks. So he?s thinking, ?Do I join Rita on vacation or do I?? and then he That would?ve been disappointing. big decision.

That would?ve been disappointing.

PHILLIPS: [Laughs] Yeah. Compared to this? Are you kidding?

Freshly diced Dexter beauty Julie Benz has two apologies for TV Guide Magazine. The first is for being a few minutes late to her official exit interview?something she understandably would rather have skipped.

The second is for telling a little lie at our recent Hot List party: ?You?re wrong!? she?d declared, when asked if her character, Rita Morgan, the eternally sunny wife of Showtime?s celebrated serial killer, was going to fall victim to John Lithgow?s Trinity Killer in the season finale. ?I felt bad,? she confesses. ?I even told you we shot multiple endings, which we did not.?

No worries, Julie. We get it. As TV secrets go, this was a doozy, even though we had our suspicions way back at Comic-Con last July when Lithgow spilled to his new costars that he knew something so shocking about Season 4 even they would be floored. Did he actually know Benz?s fate way back then?

?I?ve been told two different things,? says Benz, 37. ?The producers and executives told me they didn?t know at the start of the season. But I?ve also been told that Lithgow did know.?

As they were drawing near the finale, Benz?s costar David Zayas (Det. Angel Batista) clued her in that Rita may not be long for Dexter?s world. ?There were rumblings that something major was going to happen,? says Benz. ?I even asked the producers and they said, ?We would never kill Rita.??

Then in late September, the day before the season finale script was to be distributed to the cast, the bomb dropped. ?It was my day off, and I was called in for a meeting with the producers,? Benz recalls. ?At that point, you pretty much know. It was a tough meeting. In a bizarre way, it felt like a scene from ?Defending Your Life.??

Producers explained they wanted to shake up the structure of the show. It was becoming more difficult to sell Dexter as a tortured soul since his life was growing increasingly idyllic in the Miami suburbs with the perfect wife and children. In fact, just before murdering Trinity and discovering Rita?s corpse, Dexter vowed to end his killing spree?which also would have ended the show.

But there?s nothing like discovering your wife?s body slumped in the bathtub with your baby boy crying in a pool of mommy?s blood to reboot your warped psyche.

?It?s a very poetic mirror to how Dexter was found when he was 3,? says Benz, who, before her four-year run on Dexter, was a ?WB girl? with parts on Roswell, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Source: TV Guide Magazine[/b]e.com/news/exclusive-interview-dexters-julie-benz--3481.html"]TV Guide Magazine

i feel a little sick after seeing that episode :( sick not only at what happened, but at the fact that Dexter wants to change for his family- for Rita he cares so much for them, but when he sees Rita's murdered body he doesnt really flinch, like he was half expecting it. i know hes a monster on the inside, but still- he can lose it when someone pretends to be his friend or when someone is getting in his face but when his wife is murdered -nothing. i also found it a stretch that Trinity managed to find the time to even kill Rita what with all the running around and last second scurrying. Also when he is mugged next to his car he doesnt know its definently dexter- he could be the victim of a random mugging? i think its pretty convenient writing to write off Rita.

As my esteemed colleague Ken Tucker just pointed out, conspiracy theories are flying around fast and furious in the wake of last night?s mind-blowing Dexter season finale.

Could Rita be alive? Is it possible she died at the hands of Dexter and not Trinity? And should we be reading into a certain timeline inconsistency? I got exec producer Clyde Phillips back on the horn for another round of burning questions?Is Rita really dead?

CLYDE PHILLIPS: Yess Trinity really dead?</b>

PHILLIPS: Yes. Cut up and drifting in the Gulf StreaDid Trinity kill Rita?</b>

PHILLIPS: Yes he did. That?s partly what he meant when he said: ?It?s alreadMy readers are pointing out a potential timeline inconsistency: Trinity left Miami while it was still light out, yet in the message Rita left Dexter she commented about how beautiful the moon was that night.< night.

PHILLIPS: Your readers are smarter than we are. Totally missed it. Honest mistake.

W<EW

My readers are pointing out a potential timeline inconsistency: Trinity left Miami while it was still light out, yet in the message Rita left Dexter she commented about how beautiful the moon was that night.[/b]

PHILLIPS: Your readers are smarter than we are. Totally missed it. Honest mistake.

Source: EW

Except for the fact she said the moon was GOING TO BE nice, not IS or WAS. No inconsistency.

My readers are pointing out a potential timeline inconsistency: Trinity left Miami while it was still light out, yet in the message Rita left Dexter she commented about how beautiful the moon was that night.

I noticed that too, but wrote it off as a mistake. But I have to wonder how no one caught that throughout the writing, filming, editing and then I'm sure someone watched the final cut and NO one caught that?

Good ending! Dexter got carried away with Trinity and got what he deserved. This will be a good lesson for him.

Can't wait for the next season. :o

ok i get that he kinda let this thing with trinity play out far too long, BUT he took pain staking steps to make sure his family was safe, this was a WEIRD WEIRD cooincidence that Trinity and Rita would cross paths in the few minutes it took Rita to get what she had forgotten behinde.

Except for the fact she said the moon was GOING TO BE nice, not IS or WAS. No inconsistency.

I went back and rewatched it, but she said, "the moon tonight is going to be amazing." I didn't hear the going to be though.