February 2009 Desktops

Here's mine from my work's PC (XP):

Clean (yes I have everything hidden so I just see my wallpaper):

Desktop_Clean.jpg

Dirty:

Desktop_Dirty.jpg

I made the wallpaper myself and the theme is Watercolor Emico - Black.

I think the theme comes with RocketDock. Just download the FREE program and look for the theme. It comes with 20+ themes if I remember correctly. I personally don't use it anymore. Tried it for a week and didn't see the point. Just not for me I guess.

okay i just changed mine up a little bit. Got rid of the old rocket dock. Thanks to Bazooka Joe for showing me the new top bar :p

Works much better.

feb2620092.jpg

what's the name of the "new top bar"?

okay i just changed mine up a little bit. Got rid of the old rocket dock. Thanks to Bazooka Joe for showing me the new top bar :p

Works much better.

feb2620092.jpg

details on the wallpaper please

hey Mail. Great desk.. Can you give me details of your Firefox? What theme, what addon's/extensions to make it look identical to yours? That looks perfect to me!!

Thanks

Probably not to everyones' taste, but I'm happy enough with it :)

Firstly the "splash page"

post-50796-1235692019_thumb.jpg

Basically, the magic doesn't happen until you click on the star-in-the-circle, just under the satellite, at which point the desktop changes to the following:

post-50796-1235692292_thumb.jpg

Each column is an RSS feed, being parsed through php. At the moment it's the BBC News headlines, the EmpireOnline.com headlines, and my recently played list on last.fm (I'll switch that one out for something else probably)

As for the icons towards the bottom of the desktop (L - R):

post-50796-1235692323.jpg

The "Home" icon resets the desktop to the satellite version. The Calendar icon opens a pop-up window with a simple (and i do mean simple - I'm using a .txt file to store the data, as opposed to a .sql db) calendar that's mostly a Todo list more than anything. The last two, the Photo Album, and Paperclip just open My Images, a folder on my HDD, and the paperclip opens OpenOffice.

So yep, that's my desktop - who said ActiveDesktop is dead and buried :D

Oh - and as for the HiroProtagonist / Dark_ph0enix thing. I capped it for a thread over on Geekscape, where I use the username HiroProtagonist.

Sweet ! Very nice done ! I'm going to search for active desktops again =)

Cheers - Yep I'm definitely a fan of the whole ActiveDesktop route. I understand why they weren't popular to start with, due to the process being a bit of a system hog, but there's no excuse these days.

'cept Widgets :whistle: