Windows Server 2003 Logon Screen

Hi People Of NeoWin. I Have a Very Annoying Problem. Im running Windows Server 2003 Now, and have been for about a week. I have noticed that the Logon screen is not xp themed, even if i turn the theme service to 'automatic'. When i say themed, i dont mean the xp style logon screen i mean the blue top bar and them nice new command buttons themed kinda way. For all you people out there who know about manifest files, i have 50% come up with mayb a answer. I may ave 2 just manifest the logon program.. Just a thought

Any help to get my logon screen be themed would be tresured :D

Cheers

SnipaUK - ( Msn Messenger: SnipaUK@Hotmail.com > Email: SnipaUK@Hotmail.com)

If I understand what you're asking, you need to edit the registry to theme that.

Open up regedit and hit:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

In there there's a key called Dllname, set to to the path for the style you want to use.

...There's also a key called ThemeActive in there. Should probably turn that on if it isn't already.

this person is not talking about the welcome screen... they want the logon box to be skinned with luna like everything is once they are logged on... and it would take a lot of registry editing to do it... you have to set the theme active then change all of the window metrics, colors and lastly set the theme to either default color, homestead, or metallic were the names the registry gives the colors... its a pain in the ass...

there is no welcome screen in 2003 period. :no:

Read before answering: :p

When i say themed, i dont mean the xp style logon screen i mean the blue top bar and them nice new command buttons themed kinda way.

The part of the registry that controls keys is: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

My dllname is set to: %SystemRoot%\resources\Themes\Gorilla\Gorilla.msstyles

Just go to the same key in HKEY_current_user, and see how the theme is set up there, and set the keys in hkey_.default the same way. Takes <2minutes.

Edited by mongoosedm

• 1 year later...

i have a nice program tool that can change it,

it is called: Win Server 2003 Optimize Tool v1.44 bY sala

anybody has any idea how to change the welcome screen to become like xp?

i don't think it is a bad thing to have a windows server that is hardcore, but with a nice look too.

sig.png

i have a nice program tool that can change it,

it is called: Win Server 2003 Optimize Tool v1.44 bY sala

anybody has any idea how to change the welcome screen to become like xp?

i don't think it is a bad thing to have a windows server that is hardcore, but with a nice look too.

sig.png

585787374[/snapback]

WTF :wacko:

If you want to apply a visual style to the logon screen.. which I think is what you want.. :huh:

Do the following:

1. Make sure the Themes Service is started. Go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Make sure Themes is set to Automatic and Started.

2. Apply the uxtheme.dll crack in the normal manner. I've attached a Replacer program and a copy of uxtheme.dll that will work with Server 2003 Service Pack 1. Extract both folders, run Replacer and follow the instructions.

Windows_2K3_Theme_Pack.zip

3. After rebooting, install and set as your current theme, the visual style you want to use for your login screen.

4. Open the Registry and browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

5. Make sure the ThemeManager branch is selected in the left pane and choose File > Export. Make sure the Export Range is set to Selected branch and save the .reg file.

6. Now, right-click the saved file where ever it is and choose Edit. Then in Notepad, edit the line that says:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]

Change it to:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]

7. Save the file, then right-click and choose Merge. Confirm the action and click ok when it says complete.

8. Reboot the machine. You should now have the theme set to your logon window! If you want to have a diffrent theme for the main desktop, you can switch back now.

Also note, you can use the Microsoft TweakUI Powertoy to copy wallpaper and screensaver and other graphical settings to the logon screen, but you will need to use this method whenever you want to switch visual styles.

Here is the finished product:

ctrlaltdelete.pnglogon.png

login.pngdesktop.png

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Windows Server. Also I was wondering if it was normal for this to happen (see screenshot)

post-53970-1115258193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intelman

What is the thing you are wondering if normal or not? The screenshot looks normal. o.o

Desktop Attached

post-4709-1115302651_thumb.jpg