Windows Explorer Crashes when viewing thumbnails

Everytime i go to a folder where i keep my anime's in, it crashes and just says "Windows Explorer has stoppped worrking" and just closes all the folder that are open.

i have

Windows Vista: Ultimate x32

500gig Harddrive

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHZ

Asus 8600GT 512mb

4gig RAM

I i know when i untick the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" doesnt crashes it, but i want my thumbnail... anyone got any idea how to fix this?

What's the fault bucket and what's the file type?

I believe there's still active bugs in the current Haali Media Splitter, if you're using that, where it'll crash on thumbnail generation. The only way to fix, if that's what you're hitting, is to have them fix their code. =\

A common fault for this is video codecs corrupted. Try changing the folder view type to list and see if it still happens.

Then change back and tell us what the error message consists of :)

That error dialog is probably less interesting than just looking up the fault data that you already have and don't need to crash again to get. :)

Lemme know if you get that - I'm pretty good at decoding those. :)

sounds like you have a video codec installed which is causing to crash when the explorer tries to create the thumbnail.

Yer i have Latest https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=12&id=11 Codec installed and i actually got that error after installing it.

That error dialog is probably less interesting than just looking up the fault data that you already have and don't need to crash again to get. :)

Lemme know if you get that - I'm pretty good at decoding those. :)

lol. i reckon wats causing it to crash is the thumbnail. but i dont want to disable my thumbnail it doesnt look good and yer... XD

but for some reason, it didnt crash today. weird stuff... liike yesterday, it crashed, today it didnt, it'll prob crash another day. what the hell....

Uh... you can look up the fault bucket data that I asked for at any point. It's really easy to find in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. If you want the problem to keep happening, you can certainly politely ignore me - but it's pretty good odds that once you post up that specific data someone could figure this out pretty quickly. :)

Uh... you can look up the fault bucket data that I asked for at any point. It's really easy to find in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. If you want the problem to keep happening, you can certainly politely ignore me - but it's pretty good odds that once you post up that specific data someone could figure this out pretty quickly. :)

lol. well i did wat it sayd on the website and i got this:

crash.th.jpg

what next?

Start notepad and copy the following code and paste it in notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\Explorer.exe]
"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,61,00,6c,00,44,00,75,\
  00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

now save it as WER.reg and open the explorer and make a double click to import the registry settings. When the explorer crashes again, you'll find a Dump file (.dmp) in the folder C:\localdumps. Zip this file and upload it to a 1 click hoster and post the link here so that we can see what causes the crash.

That may not be necessary... this looks like a crash I know --

Do you have NeVideo.ax on this system? It seems like you might have an old version of Nero on your system, which could cause problems.

StackHash_1703 is one I actually remember on sight. O_o

Start notepad and copy the following code and paste it in notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\Explorer.exe]
"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,61,00,6c,00,44,00,75,\
  00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

now save it as WER.reg and open the explorer and make a double click to import the registry settings. When the explorer crashes again, you'll find a Dump file (.dmp) in the folder C:\localdumps. Zip this file and upload it to a 1 click hoster and post the link here so that we can see what causes the crash.

That may not be necessary... this looks like a crash I know --

Do you have NeVideo.ax on this system? It seems like you might have an old version of Nero on your system, which could cause problems.

StackHash_1703 is one I actually remember on sight. O_o

I do actualy have an old nero. i have Nero 7 installed. but now, for some reason, it doesnt crash anymore. i installed the new VLC player and now the problem stopped. but it i happened to get that crash again, ill post it on again. thanks guys for helping.

I've had this problem, too. I fixed it pretty easily by not using Windows Explorer anymore. I've found the free program ExplorerXP to be far better, and it never crashes. http://www.explorerxp.com/
Yeah, and I don't see that Explorer itself crashed here either. Looks like he had some bad code on the system that did bad things with memory and crashed.

Given your solution (run away from the actual problem) you're leaving a landmine which might crash other applications later. I respect that amateur approach - not everyone can solve these - but if you *can* identify the problem, isn't it best to actually solve it as opposed to running away from it and letting it bring down your system later in other ways?

If you *really* have this problem (and what's *your* fault data?), you can keep using ExplorerWhatever, but -- wouldn't it make sense to actually sort out the problem? Use software because you like it, not because some rogue third party decided to break what you originally were using. =P

I suppose, but since it was only a problem with certain videos and/or their codecs crashing it when thumbnails were generated, it seems the easy fix is to use another program that doesn't do that. To each their own, though. I wouldn't mind using Explorer if it wouldn't crash. Maybe next time it happens I'll do what you suggested. Also, I had a similar problem with Windows Photo Gallery. Still gotta re-install that and see if it'll stop crashing upon loading all those thumbnails. I'm using XP. Does Vista still have these crashing issues in Explorer?

Your question by itself has no real meaning. "Something is happening on my system that is causing a crash. Will this still happen if X occurs?" -- The actual question should be "Hey, why exactly am I crashing?" Which again is why it's good to confront problems. If Windows crashes, get those people looking at it. If Nero or some random codec/filter crashes, get those people looking at it.

Vista Explorer takes into account that the quality of third party codecs is pretty pathetic and generally runs thumbnail handlers in their own process so they don't take down Explorer. Thus the actual moral of the story is probably don't install crappy software and expect it not to negatively impact your system. The cynic then chortles "AH HA But Maybe Windows Itself May Crash At Some Point", but I think you'll find that with Windows Vista SP1 the system is very stable. (SP1 continues the stability of Vista with fixing a large chunk of most Windows-side issues.)

And if you do hit a crash at that point, put up the fault bucket information. That's pretty true of any crash. You can actually debug most of this yourself with the Windows Debugging Toolkit, but I realize not everyone has that skillset.

As regards "to each their own", I vehemently disagree. It is no small secret that "codec packs" have been installing f***ing horribly made old broken codecs and filters and bringing down Windows. The way to get this fixed up For Real and not just pretending like there's no correlation is to figure out who the f*** is causing this badness and yelling at them fix their absurd badness. You say "use another program that doesn't do that" --- but Explorer IS NOT doing that. It's a crappy REALLY old version of a third party filter that is being installed questionably and blowing up afterwards. This is just a ludicrous discussion. Don't install crapware and you don't have problems. :)

I pull teeth in discussions like this regularly trying to determine the source of this sort of badness and stopping it at the source. Having to recode Windows to work around third party badness isn't good for anyone. Getting people to stop shipping things like questionably-licensed redists of Nero 4/5 is probably a better plan. :)

Video codec and back video file.

Everytime i go to a folder where i keep my anime's in, it crashes and just says "Windows Explorer has stoppped worrking" and just closes all the folder that are open.

i have

Windows Vista: Ultimate x32

500gig Harddrive

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHZ

Asus 8600GT 512mb

4gig RAM

I i know when i untick the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" doesnt crashes it, but i want my thumbnail... anyone got any idea how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...