Windows 7 Build 7057 x86

i'd always go for a fresh install. no matter how good the upgrade function is, a clean install reduces possible problems.

currently im playing arround with the homegroup feature of win7. this is very nicely done i think.

Personally, I like the new style in Paint and WordPad. At first, it was strange, but I have to say that I like the updated programs.

Oh, I like it, there just needs to be more tabs than "Home" and "View" or there's really not point to it.

post-37289-1237042679.png

But i am administrator as stated above...

NO! YOU ARE NOT ADMINISTRATOR if UAC IS TURNED ON!

When UAC is on you are LIMITED USER!

Oh, I like it, there just needs to be more tabs than "Home" and "View" or there's really not point to it.

Similar to Word/Powerpoint 2007, if you create a text object in Paint a new Text tab appears.

There is no need to shout. He asked a simple question.

Regarding the Paint/Wordpad tabs - yes it's not many, but it's a gentle introduction to the way the ribbon works. There are other benefits to the ribbon anyway, like the button designs and drop-down lists.

I've not read the whole post but I noticed your rude, unthoughtful, post and thought that I'd point out that you can be an administrator and have UAC turned on in Windows 7. I currently am.

Unless I am getting the wrong end of the stick and you are on about something else?

Just bash, I mean, winlonghorn is bashing everyone else, right? Clearly, this child is attemptimg to illicit a response. The question is "Why?" :no:

What? Who says I am trying to illicit a response? I honestly don't give a damn if the person replies or not! I was stating my opinion of the situation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people liking new wallpapers in a new version of Windows! End of Story! And I am not a child for your information! Sorry if you thought that was my goal, but I don't go around picking fights with other people! Also, where do you see that I am bashing others? I didn't address any other person in that post (other than to say that everybody has a right to enjoy wallpapers)! That is all I have to say! Thanks for the input! That is the last time that I try to defend people's right to enjoy things on here if this is the kind of garbage that I am going to take for it! Apparently, you can't do well in this world anymore by trying to be nice. Quite a sad state this world is in if that is the case. Oh well, what can you do? :rolleyes:

Edited by winlonghorn

Administrators under a UAC system means nothing really, since you're stilled asked to elevate, the difference being you simply Consent with an "Allow/Deny" instead of supplying Admin credentials.

His point, even if it was made rather bluntly, was that simply being in the Administrator account group means nothing in terms of how UAC sandboxes the environment. Since this sandboxing (subsequent denying of either read, write, or both to a specific location) is presumably what is causing the incompatibility, being in such a User Group is irrelevant.

I've not read the whole post but I noticed your rude, unthoughtful, post and thought that I'd point out that you can be an administrator and have UAC turned on in Windows 7. I currently am.

Unless I am getting the wrong end of the stick and you are on about something else?

NVM beat to it.

Well the reason that Mac's supposedly don't get viruses is because the Users don't have access to the core files in the system so Virus's can't get to it either. With UAC it kind of meets half way. You still have access to the core files however you need to allow access for you or a virus to do so.

So does the picture that I posted show the User Account proves that I am an administrator? Or does "Right click and run as administrator" makes a difference?

Thanks all...

donchen, it does make a difference. It's a little confusing, admittedly, but "administrator" user level doesn't grant programs that same access. They should request it if needed, but if they don't you have to "Right click and run as administrator".

(It's more technical than that, but for the most part it's enough)

Well, I hope this isn't against the rules, but... here's the login screen image. If it's against the rules, I'll remove it... and there are so many pages in this thread that I'm not sure if someone already posted it.

http://yfrog.com/0dlogin1aj

Already been posted, even in 1920x1200.

ok, a few days after installling: 2 problems

-navision won't work on windows 7, not in any compatibility mode

-Iphone syncing works, but not the calendar. My iphone calendars do not show in Outlook, although I do get event-warnings on my laptop when I connect my iphone.

I've installed this build (clean install) and it's working fine. I think it's a bit faster (?).

But there is a downside too: it boots slower than build 7000. It takes about 40s for b7000 to boot, but this one takes about 60s (equal to Vista's boot) :(

I've had same issue regarding display brightness in build 7000 and 7057. When in current power plan is set option to dim the display, sometimes it's impossible to return brightness to its default state (max brightness), and Display brightness section disappears from Windows Mobility Center

post-281174-1237118905.jpg

thought that I'd point out that you can be an administrator and have UAC turned on in Windows 7. I currently am.

no! You are no longer administrator until you use the buildin account "Administrator" when UAC is on. When you are inside the administrator group you'll have 2 accounts in 1 combined. When you login you have LIMITED user rights like a LIMITED User account in Win 2000/XP. When a program or an action needs administrator rights you must accept this by allowing the UAC prompt! Do the same things which triggers an UAC prompt under XP with a LIMITED Account and whatch the stupid message box! What's better? Error message or UAC prompt to accept the elevated rights?

All people who hate UAC have never used a NT system with limited rights before. I'm using NT since NT4 and I know why and where such prompt occur.

So does the picture that I posted show the User Account proves that I am an administrator? Or does "Right click and run as administrator" makes a difference?

read what I told to Calum.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the purpose of the Ribbon in Paint and WordPad. There are only two tabs -- home and view. It's worthless.

The real main purpose is to set an example for third-party developers, encourage them to use the Scenic Ribbon API. The ribbon has made Paint and Wordpad better, but you're not going to see the level of improvements you saw in Office simply because Office has thousands of commands while these apps have very few. Still and improvement though.

To donchen, you're an administrator but Windows doesn't let every program automatically treat you like an administrator until you explicitly allow it to, for safety reasons. That's what UAC is. If you weren't administrator, instead of just clicking 'Allow', you'd have to supply a password, if I remember correctly.

I've reloaded my 7000 image(thank you acronis, lol). 7057 was slower, I could not right click the damn start menu and I had to reinstall my apps. Didn't notice it was slower until I got back in 7000. Bring on the official RC Microsoft. I'll wait.

I've reloaded my 7000 image(thank you acronis, lol). 7057 was slower, I could not right click the damn start menu and I had to reinstall my apps. Didn't notice it was slower until I got back in 7000. Bring on the official RC Microsoft. I'll wait.

upgrade or fresh install?