F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

FIA announces 2010 F1 entry list

World championship leaders Brawn, plus former champions McLaren and Renault are among the teams that have been told to lift the conditions on their entry to the 2010 championship by June 19 or risk being left off the grid.

After days of intense speculation about which teams would comprise the make up for the 2010 championship, the FIA announced that of the current teams only Ferrari, Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Williams and Force India have been granted entries.

It means that Brawn, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber and Toyota have all been sidelined for now - pointing towards further frantic efforts to try and find a solution to the row over cost cuts.

In a statement issued by the FIA, it said: "These five teams have submitted conditional entries.The FIA has invited them to lift those conditions following further discussions to be concluded not later than close of business on Friday 19 June."

The inclusion of Ferrari and the two Red Bull teams is also a bone of contention, with the outfits likely to claim that they could only be entered if the conditions attached to their applications to race were met.

The FIA, however, believes the teams committed several years ago when they signed deals with the governing body and Formula One Management tying themselves to the sport.

The list also confirmed that three new teams had been granted an entry - Campos Grand Prix, Manor Grand Prix and Team US F1.

Should any of the five current teams not make the cut, then the FIA is evaluating further entries being added.

AUTOSPORT understands there are three or four other teams who are close to being granted entries, and dialogue is still ongoing.

Team						 Constructor
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro	Ferrari
Scuderia Toro Rosso		  STR TBA
Red Bull Racing			  Red Bull Racing TTBA
At&T Williams				Williams Toyota
Force India F1 Team		  Force India Mercedes
Campos Grand Prix			Campos Cosworth
Manor Grand Prix			 Manor Cosworth
Team US F1				   Team Us F1 Cosworth
Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes*   Mclaren Mercedes
Bmw Sauber F1 Team*		  Bmw Sauber
Renault F1 Team*			 Renault
Panasonic Toyota Racing*	 Toyota
Brawn GP Formula One Team*   Brawn TBA

* These five teams have submitted conditional entries.The FIA has invited them to lift those conditions following further discussions to be concluded not later than close of business on Friday 19 June.

The maximum number of cars permitted to enter the 2010 Championship has been increased to 26, two being entered by each competitor. Pending completion of the discussions referred to above, further due diligence is currently taking place on other potential entries.

Source: Autosport

Didn't realise that, thanks :p

If thats the case, looks like they're facing some hefty pull out fees. With max demanding that the teams place entries in a week I have a nasty feeling this issue won't be resolved, and F1 will really be without a lot of the big names next year.

The issue will be resolved. Think about it: Establishing a breakaway series would be extremely costly for one. Then there's the question which tracks such a series would race on... CBE has a contract with most race tracks here in Europe and would never allow a breakaway series to run on said tracks.

There will be a solution within the next few days.

Maybe rather than establish a breakaway series, they will just quit altogether? The teams won't just refuse to enter then all of a sudden change their mind unless Mosely alters the rules, which is looking increasingly unlikely.

The issue will be resolved. Think about it: Establishing a breakaway series would be extremely costly for one. Then there's the question which tracks such a series would race on... CBE has a contract with most race tracks here in Europe and would never allow a breakaway series to run on said tracks.

There will be a solution within the next few days.

I've seen on the Autosport forums people state they should not have problems racing at current tracks in a new series. ?It's against EU law to have such contracts, although I think Bernie does own one or two, so he wouldn't allow it at his tracks. ?I don't think some of the teams will miss racing in the middle east, its seem to be more for the money than anything.

Sadly, I think Bernie owns spa, the best circuit of them all, but once the current contracts expire, Bernie wouldn't be able to do a thing if a breakaway series took over.

Bernie is just doing his usual bit of sounding off to try and scare anyone. Fortunately most people stopped giving a damn about what he had to say years ago

Quiet unbelievable that it has been allowed to come this far. Mosley and Bernie are idiots of the highest order, and F1 will go into decline within a couple of years without the big names in it.

Although I saw it coming, I have to say I am really shocked by the fact that the FIA have allowed this to happen.

Sounds exciting :)

Though if there's no clause in BBC's contract that says...."If big teams leave, we want out". Then ITV got out just in time.

^ and no doubt can get back in with the new series (if it happens). Everyone is saying things never work out in splits but how often is it a largely one sided split? From what i can gather, it'll be 8 out of the 10 teams we know as "F1" and the majority of drivers will follow the teams so the "new F1" will be like this years "F1" but with a new name. Casual fans will be confused as hell and not watch either and i can see quite a large number of F1 fans follow the teams into the new series.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a statement issued by FOTA after the meeting.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

This sounds good to me. Bernie and Max have really helped run the current sport into the ground.

these 7 teams should form a new F1 where there's less limit to innovation.

if it wasnt for F1, we wouldnt hav seen paddle shift gear shifter in road cars :p

i want to see more technolgy :D

FIA keeps imposing rules, that too at last moment.

the reason for KERS failure is FIA itself.

btw, F1 is two tier right now. kers & non kers, double diffuser & single.

F1 without Max Mosley & Bernie would be better.

(when it comes to safety, hats off to FIA for making all motorsport cars safer)

++++

<snipped>

-------------

i really hope the 7 big teams of current F1 pull out & invite manufactures like Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar (another indian team ;p), VW, Lamborghini,... into new F1.

that would be dream F1 with all thees super car makers. :woot:

[ya i know, i quoted myself :p]

my 1st wish comes true :woot:

now i really hope Porsche, Lambo.... make an entry to new FOTA F1 :p

F1 as we know it will be just another Indycar bs.

Ferrari breathes on innovations that come out of the F1. To think that Ferrari and McLaren would have accepted these silly budget caps and standardized technologies, think again.

I don't care what the F1 becomes. Maybe now Force India and USF1 (lol) will have a chance to win. All the big boys, the teams with all the F1 history behind them will continue separately and give us the fans what we want.

^Yeah F1 is nothing without teams like Ferrari.

I just hope the "breakaway series championship" has wide broadcast on TV. That's the one that I'll be watching. Bernie will pretty much be known as the guy who destroyed F1.

Without the big teams, Formula 1 won't last more than a season, because nobody will want to watch it. Turning up to watch names like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW and Toyota is a little more significant than watching names like Force India, USF1, Lightspeed, iSport, and whatever else.

The only prestige name even left in F1 will be Williams and their fanbase is significantly smaller than that of the majority of teams on the way out.

Max says he isn't scared, and he still believes a compromise can be reached, but I am not so confident.

Without the big teams, Formula 1 won't last more than a season, because nobody will want to watch it. Turning up to watch names like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW and Toyota is a little more significant than watching names like Force India, USF1, Lightspeed, iSport, and whatever else.

The only prestige name even left in F1 will be Williams and their fanbase is significantly smaller than that of the majority of teams on the way out.

Max says he isn't scared, and he still believes a compromise can be reached, but I am not so confident.

If Aston Martin decide to join F1, I think it'll save a bit of face for the sport, and it might still bring in some of the British viewers.

If the breakaway does happen, I'd like to know where the teams that stay will get their engines from. I'm sure that Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, BMW, and Toyota won't be providing anything for them.

Also yesterday during practice 2 on Speed, they said that Monaco will not hold a race if Ferrari isn't racing in F1. So there's one track, I'm sure Canada and possibly US races will be back if the breakaway happens.

The major sponsors will go where the teams/drivers go.

Also are we going to see a return of the "tire wars" and V10's or V12's if the split happens?

I think in the new break away series engine power, tyres and downforce will all make giant progressions and maybe a "Turbo" system like KERS (I liked kers :( ) It's the fact that the teams have never really liked what the FIA pushed on the sport and the teams deciding among them selves we will a) never get anywhere b) have better cars/teams

Also yesterday during practice 2 on Speed, they said that Monaco will not hold a race if Ferrari isn't racing in F1. So there's one track, I'm sure Canada and possibly US races will be back if the breakaway happens.

Ecclestone is really pushing to sign back Montreal for their race next year. But people here are not dumb, they wait to see what going to happen before getting locked in a contract with F1 with no teams.