F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

Massa stable, airlifted to hospital

Felipe Massa has been airlifted to a nearby hospital in a 'stable' condition following his big accident in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Brazilian's car was struck by debris on the run into Turn 4, possibly from Rubens Barrichello's car, and his car plunged straight off the track at full throttle and head first into the wall.

Massa was removed from the car and taken to the track's medical centre, before being flown by helicopter. Television footage showed that was he was moving after the accident.

An FIA spokeswoman confirmed that Massa was in a ‘stable' condition but there were no further details about the extent of any injuries.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77245

-----------------------

lol @ time tracker... crashing.

Alonso was asking all the other drivers what time they did.

But just as the timing screens went blank, the double world champion fought back and reclaimed pole with a 1m21.569s, to claim his first qualifying top spot since rejoining Renault.

read on here - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77247

352535z.jpg

p1. Alomso

p2. Vettle

p3. Webber

Judging by this photo of Massa after his crash, it looks like it could have nearly have been another Senna, if the impact of the car debris was a little lower! Hope he makes a full recovery.

post-84139-1248536805.jpg

:o

omg.

the helmet has to made even more stronger hereafter.

------------------------

Massa suffers skull damage, concussion

Felipe Massa will need to undergo surgery after it emerged he has suffered bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion in his accident at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Brazilian will be forced to miss the race after he was hit in the head by debris believed to belong to Rubens Barrichello's car.

Massa was airlifted to a Budapest hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

Ferrari said in a statement that Massa will need to undergo surgery and will have to stay under observation in intensive care for an undisclosed period of time.

"After the accident during the qualifying session of the Grand Prix of Hungary, Felipe Massa was airlifted to the AEK hospital in Budapest," the statement said. "Felipe was conscious at the arrival at the hospital and his general conditions remain stable.

"Following a complete medical examination it emerged that he had suffered a cut on his forehead, a bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion. These conditions need to be operated on after which he will remain under observation in intensive care."

The team said further information will be released later tonight.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77276

Massa undergoes successful surgery

Felipe Massa has successfully undergone surgery for the injuries he suffered in his accident in qualifying in Hungary.

Ferrari said the driver will now remain under observation in the intensive care unit at the AEK hospital in Budapest, where the Brazilian was taken after being hit by a spring during Q2.

Massa had suffered a damaged skull and brain concussion, as well as a cut on his forehead.

The Italian team said a further update on his condition will be issued tomorrow morning.

Brawn confirmed the spring belonged to a damper from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car, weighing around 800 grams.

"We had a problem at the back, so we are still investigating and we haven't had the piece back from the FIA yet so once we get it back we can understand what occurred and then draw some conclusions," said team boss Ross Brawn.

"It is the first time we've had a problem with the car. The car has been really reliable and we are obviously looking all through the data to understand what caused the problem. It is hard to comment at the moment until we have studied everything.

"We put a new component on Jenson's car in qualifying just to be safe, but we are still studying everything that went on to understand what happened."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77288

Surgery has been done already, classed as a success which is good. He's got a month to get ready for the next race but then it'll be down to how serious the skull damage was and what doctors think could happen if he was in another crash.

Quali weights:

Pos  Driver							 Weight (kg)
 1.   Alonso	   Renault				637.5
 2.   Vettel	   Red Bull-Renault	   655.0
 3.   Webber	   Red Bull-Renault	   652.0
 4.   Hamilton	 McLaren-Mercedes	   650.5
 5.   Rosberg	  Williams-Toyota		654.0
 6.   Kovalainen   McLaren-Mercedes	   655.5
 7.   Raikkonen	Ferrari				651.5
 8.   Button	   Brawn-Mercedes		 664.5
 9.   Nakajima	 Williams-Toyota		658.0
10.  Massa		Ferrari
11.  Buemi		Toro Rosso-Ferrari	 671.5
12.  Trulli	   Toyota				 671.3
13.  Barrichello  Brawn-Mercedes		 689.0
14.  Glock		Toyota				 679.2
15.  Piquet	   Renault				667.7
16.  Heidfeld	 BMW-Sauber			 658.0
17.  Fisichella   Force India-Mercedes   680.5
18.  Sutil		Force India-Mercedes   683.5
19.  Kubica	   BMW-Sauber			 666.0
20.  Alguersuari  Toro Rosso-Ferrari	 675.5

Seems the McLarens aren't too far off the pace now which is good, did anyone think Alonso wasn't light?

^ you mean Massa's helmet.

The bit came off Rubens car and hit Massa.

Piece of suspension they think.

Yes, I meant Massa (was still thinking in the past, when Rubens was still in Ferrari...). Hope he can fully recover from this.

This must be the worst year for Ferrari since they've started racing in Formula 1.

Judging by this photo of Massa after his crash, it looks like it could have nearly have been another Senna, if the impact of the car debris was a little lower! Hope he makes a full recovery.

Is that real? :/ For the record, I believe it was a damper spring that hit Massa. The damper spring is what was missing from Barrichello's car, and if you look at the footage in slow motion, the object that hits him looks like a spring.

Surgery has been done already, classed as a success which is good. He's got a month to get ready for the next race but then it'll be down to how serious the skull damage was and what doctors think could happen if he was in another crash.

Seems the McLarens aren't too far off the pace now which is good, did anyone think Alonso wasn't light?

I recon he'll miss the next race as well, you can't be too careful with head injuries.

All in all this was another gruesome reminder (the second in a week) of how dangerous motor racing still is, despite the safety improvements. This was a horrible accident, and I am just glad to hear that Massa is going to be ok.

As for the actual on track action, can someone confirm that Ferrari aren't going to enter a second car, because that is the rumour I heard? Other than that, seeing that Alonso was light is of little surprise to me, and with his KERS system, there is a good chance Alonso and Hamilton could end up wheel to wheel in turn one, which will be interesting to say the least. Personally though I feel Red Bull are still the team to beat here.

Also, the resurgence of Renault and McLaren is going to hurt Brawn badly, they appear to be falling back seriously and I feel they are at a point at which if they don't turn a corner quickly, both championships will slip away from them quickly. The resurgence of McLaren and Renault couldn't have came at a worse time for Brawn, and they are in a uphill battle for the rest of the season.

Is that real? :/ For the record, I believe it was a damper spring that hit Massa. The damper spring is what was missing from Barrichello's car, and if you look at the footage in slow motion, the object that hits him looks like a spring.

Pretty sure the picture is real, it was a spring that him, that's confirmed.

I recon he'll miss the next race as well, you can't be too careful with head injuries.

On James Allen's site he says doctors are saying anywhere between 2 months and the rest of the season. Makes sense really, you want to be 100% sure that he's healed as another crash could be a lot worse for him.

As for the actual on track action, can someone confirm that Ferrari aren't going to enter a second car, because that is the rumour I heard? Other than that, seeing that Alonso was light is of little surprise to me, and with his KERS system, there is a good chance Alonso and Hamilton could end up wheel to wheel in turn one, which will be interesting to say the least. Personally though I feel Red Bull are still the team to beat here.

It's unlikely Ferrari will have another driver to race tomorrow so I don't expect to see 2 Ferraris on track tomorrow. Alonso doesn't have KERS, only Ferrari / McLaren are still running it, but you could still see Hamilton / Alonso close at the start depending on getaways from the start. Red Bulls are definitely the team to beat.

Also, the resurgence of Renault and McLaren is going to hurt Brawn badly, they appear to be falling back seriously and I feel they are at a point at which if they don't turn a corner quickly, both championships will slip away from them quickly. The resurgence of McLaren and Renault couldn't have came at a worse time for Brawn, and they are in a uphill battle for the rest of the season.

Agreed on both. Fuel corrected, it looks like it's Red Bull, McLaren/Renault and then Brawn so they're in trouble as this track should suit the Brawn. If Vettel/Webber can manage the tyres and not overheat the soft tyre, it's their race to lose.

smetime ago i read that , you cant change a driver on the last day.

if a team wants to change a drivers, then that second driver has to be present from Friday practice itself.

i think Ferrari test driver will be given Massa's seat for rest of the season.

although i hope that MS races in Massa's car :D

anyways, i hope Massa is ready to win Races in 2010.

If Hamilton does qualify up top i don't think he will finish the race in good position, He really hasn't had the experience in a fast pace car up front with the big boys for a while

Ooops.

Pretty good race from Hamilton! Nice to see him back up there! Team deserve it. Great race for Webber also. Seems Kimi has finally gone off those ice creams and pulled something out ;)

Nice for Ferrari to get podium finish, especially after Felipe's horrendous accident - would've been even better if they would've won it so they could've dedicated the win for him.

i was worried in the last 20 laps :D

b'coz of Kimi :p

in his last pit stop , either he didnt select 1st gear or something went wrong in that ferrari. & Glock was on his tail for a good 10laps, i thought Kimi might lose the positiion under pressure.

it seemed like Kimi was not pushing enough at the start to midway.

anyways it was a good race.

----------------

Vettel blames Raikkonen for DNF

---------------------------

edit

The Finn will be investigated by the stewards after the race for his startline move, as he made contact with Sebastian Vettel - causing damage that eventually forced the Red Bull to retire - when squeezing through the slower-moving non-KERS cars.

But Raikkonen was bemused to learn of the investigation and felt he had done nothing wrong.

"I haven't even noticed if I touched anybody," he said. "I was between Mark and somebody else. I don't know what is going on. I didn't feel any touching so I cannot comment."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77327

:D

-------------

update:

Technical analysis - Felipe Massa accident

Edited by san.W10

No action taken on Raikkonen incident

Hungarian Grand Prix stewards have decided that no action was needed following the investigation of an incident involving Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen at the start of the race.

Raikkonen was under investigation over his driving at the first corner after making contact with Red Bull rival Sebastian Vettel.

The Finn, who finished in second place, escaped a penalty, however, as the stewards deemed it was just a racing incident.

Meanwhile, the Red Bull Racing team got a reprimand for the unsafe release of Mark Webber during a pitstop, when he came close to making contact with Raikkonen.

It was the second race in a row that Red Bull has been in a similar situation, having been fined and reprimanded for the unsafe release of Sebastian Vettel at the German Grand Prix two weeks ago.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77353

---------------------

Renault suspended from European GP

Renault has been suspended from the European Grand Prix for the events that led to a wheel coming off Fernando Alonso's car in Hungary today.

Following a post-race discussion with the stewards, it was deemed that the team had breached the regulations enough for it to be suspended from the next event.

It means Alonso will miss his home event that takes place in Valencia next month, unless he moves to another team.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77354

---------------------------

Renault, Red Bull summoned by stewards

Representatives from the Renault and Red Bull Racing teams have been summoned to see the race stewards at the Hungarian Grand Prix following incidents in the race.

While a post-race analysis of Kimi Raikkonen's driving on the way to the first corner had been announced during the race, the stewards issued statements after the event saying further investigations would take place.

They confirmed that members of the Renault and Red Bull Racing teams had been summoned.

It is understood that the Renault matter relates to the wheel that fell of Fernando Alonso's car following his first pit stop, while Red Bull Racing will have to explain the late release of Mark Webber's car from the pits, which resulted in a near collision with Kimi Raikkonen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77351

Regarding Felipe;

Massa to remain in coma for 48 hours

Felipe Massa will remain in an induced coma for another 48 hours to aid his recovery, hospital officials in Budapest have confirmed.

Although Massa was woken up briefly on Sunday morning, the AEK Hospital's medical director Peter Bazso said on Sunday that the Brazilian would remain induced for another two days.

Bazso said that Massa remained in intensive care in a stable condition, but that there had been reassuring results at least from the surgery on a skull fracture and brain concussion.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77321

Although this quote did not contain it, the local news agency here said that according to computer scans he has suffered no brain damage of any kind and was already able to respond to questions and move his limbs before they put him back in induced coma.

A horrid incident for Massa.. talk about just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.. 1ft to the left/right or a second faster / slower and it'd have never happened! Hope he gets well soon.