F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

Manager rules out Schumacher return

Michael Schumacher's manager Willi Weber has moved quickly to deny speculation that the German driver could make a shock return to Formula 1.

With Ferrari set to begin its hunt for a temporary replacement for the injured Felipe Massa, Schumacher's name has been mentioned because of his long-standing links to the Italian team.

The rumours intensified after his spokeswoman said that he would 'consider' any offer to drive the car if the team approached him.

However, following meetings between Schumacher and Weber at the seven-time world champion's Geneva home on Monday, talk of the German making a racing comeback has been dismissed.

Weber told The Daily Mail: "Whoever sits in the car at the next race in Valencia, it will not be Michael Schumacher. I am not 100 per cent sure; I am 200 per cent sure.

"The pressure on him would be huge. He would be expected to win, but he has not driven this car. When Michael was racing he would get as close to perfection as possible. In this case, it would not be perfection; it would be a gamble - and that's not Michael's style."

The news about Schumacher comes on the back of encouraging progress with Massa's recovery at the AEK Hospital in Budapest.

The Brazilian's personal doctor Dino Altman said on Tuesday that he was hopeful Massa's eye had not suffered any damage in the crash - as had been initially feared.

"Felipe has opened his left eye and he can see," Altmann told ANSA. "There's no apparent damage. The eye is morphologically healthy."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali visited Massa in hospital on Tuesday and was upbeat about how the driver was.

"He has recognised me and told me he can't remember anything," he said. "Felipe is making encouraging progress so we look forward to his return soon. The future? We'll try to understand how he reacts, then we'll take our decisions."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77396

I sure hope Schu manager is just pulling our legs. Lets face it, there must be a little gremlin inside Micheal screaming to get in an F1 car again.

He's probably done a few events. He may not be as quick or fit as he use to but he will pull in more people. Although that may anoy Massa and Kimi

I doubt Michael will get back into F1. Personally i'd like to see them put Mark Gene into the car and give him a few races as thanks for the hundreds upon thousands of testing miles he has done for them. As great as Michael was, he has been out of the sport for nearly 3 years, and his race fitness will not be tops, and for me his performance would just end up disappointing more fans than it pleases.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77398

F1 braced for BMW exit announcement

By Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken Tuesday, July 28th 2009, 21:26 GMT

BMW's future in Formula 1 is in serious doubt amid mounting speculation that the German car manufacturer will announce its withdrawal from the sport at the end of this season, on Wednesday.

An emergency press conference has been called at BMW's headquarters in Munich, where it is suggested that the car company may reveal that it has decided to end its involvement in F1.

The invite to the press conference said it had been called because of 'current developments in motor sport.'

The press conference will be hosted by Dr. Norbert Reithofer, the chairman of the BMW board, Dr. Klaus Draeger, the director for development, and Mario Theissen, BMW motorsport director. The presence of such senior management figures suggests that the announcement will be very significant.

Officials at BMW refused to comment about what the press conference was about, but they did confirm that it was 'important' news.

BMW had hoped to fight for the world championship this year, but instead the F1.09 has fallen short of expectations. Its struggles, allied to the abandonment of its KERS, that BMW had pushed hard for in F1, are likely to have played a part in any decision about the future of the team.

Although BMW Sauber had a difficult start to the season, Theissen has made it clear on several occasions that the team's form had not changed the BMW Board's commitment to F1.

"We analysed and evaluated the situation and the F1 programme with the board prior to the start of the season in February," said Theissen in May. "It was overall a very positive evaluation and judgement, and that hasn't changed.

"Apparently everybody is disappointed about the sporting results, but other than that there is no news and we have not discussed it since."

However, sources suggest that a review meeting was planned for July to decide the future of the team - and this may be behind any announcement planned for the morning.

Should BMW confirm it is pulling out of the sport, it will be the second car manufacturer to do so in eight months - with Honda having announced last December that it was to leave the sport.

The announcement will be more of a surprise, however, because BMW Sauber was on the verge of signing a Concorde Agreement that would have committed the team to F1 until the end of 2012.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

BMW will quit F1 at the end of 2009

BMW has announced it is to quit Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season, as AUTOSPORT predicted last night.

The news was confirmed at a press conference in Munich this morning, and comes on the back of a disappointing campaign for the outfit.

Dr. Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the BMW board, said: "Of course this was a difficult decsion for us. But it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realingment."

BMW will continue its other motorsport activities outside of F1.

Source: Autosport

Let the speculations about which team will fill the BMW-Sauber grid spot in 2010 begin.

the inconsistent rules are to blame for BMW's (among others) dismal performance this season.

+ the drivers

Let's see. BMW were the first ones to run a 2009 spec car. They had plenty of time to test it and work out the kinks in pre-season testing.

The drivers: Neither of them are what I'd call a bad driver.

BMW-Sauber have only themselves to blame for the abysmal performance of their car this season.

+ the drivers

Kubica was, imho, one of the best drivers last season, and I don't think he suddenly lost all the skill. Heidfeld also seemed pretty consistent throughout his whole career. I doubt that having Alonso, Hamilton or any other of the "top" drivers would have made any difference for BMW. Their car sucks, and that's it.

Kubica was, imho, one of the best drivers last season, and I don't think he suddenly lost all the skill. Heidfeld also seemed pretty consistent throughout his whole career. I doubt that having Alonso, Hamilton or any other of the "top" drivers would have made any difference for BMW. Their car sucks, and that's it.

I agree with you there but maybe the team arnt getting the same passion from the drivers, Kubica and Heidfeld seem very laid back in interviews and never seem to have that motivation to make a difference.

I agree with you there but maybe the team arnt getting the same passion from the drivers, Kubica and Heidfeld seem very laid back in interviews and never seem to have that motivation to make a difference.

You wouldn't be a very motivated F1 driver either if you had to realise how your car is a POS...

They had the motivation a couple of races ago just to find out their car is crappier than it used to be (when they finished 18 and 20 in Q1, I believe).

Toyota moves to deny quit rumours

Toyota has moved to deny speculation that it is poised to follow BMW out of Formula 1 at the end of 2009.

Amid widespread suggestions that BMW's departure from the sport will be followed by another manufacturer imminently, rumours have revolved around Toyota.

This has been prompted by the fact that Toyota has not yet signed the Concorde Agreement that would tie it to F1, and the team's F1 president John Howett is in Japan at the moment discussing strategy with the Japanese car manufacturer's chiefs.

However, a spokesman for the Toyota Motor Corporation has dismissed any talk that Toyota is considering its future in F1, with its Concorde Agreement signature expected to be confirmed in the next few days.

"Through cost reduction we will continue our Formula 1 activities," said the spokesman. "Our situation remains unchanged."

souricon.gif News source: Autosport

FOTA vows to help save BMW Sauber

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has vowed to do all it can to help secure a future for the BMW Sauber team, following its parent company's decision to quit the sport.

Just as FOTA moved to help keep Brawn GP on the grid after Honda withdrew from F1 last December, the organisation's secretary general Simone Perillo said on Wednesday that the teams' body had held immediate talks to confirm its support for the Hinwil-based operation.

"FOTA Teams have immediately consulted each other and are ready to assure all the necessary support to the Swiss-based team, whose membership in the association is confirmed, to continue its involvement in the F1 Sport," said Perillo.

FOTA is poised to begin a detailed evaluation of what improvements can be made to the sport - and one option it is openly considering it for teams to run three cars in a bid to keep grid numbers high.

"It is worth mentioning that a professional work has already begun within FOTA, aimed at increasing the involvement of the fans and at improving the F1 show," continued Perillo.

"Among those initiatives, one that could be interesting is the introduction of a third car on the grid. FOTA will seek the opinions of all the most relevant stakeholders in order to exchange ideas and define proposals for the future of Formula 1.

"FOTA Teams now wish to have the necessary certainty and stability within Formula 1 in order to focus on those fundamental priorities for the future."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77406

BREAKING NEWS

Schumacher to replace Massa in Valencia

Ferrari plans to draft in seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher to replace Felipe Massa until the Brazilian is fit enough to return to the cockpit.

According to Ferrari's website, Schumacher has said he is ready and will undergo a specific training programme over the next few days before being confirmed as Massa's replacement for the European Grand Prix at Valencia on August 23.

souricon.gif News source: Autosport