F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

Ferrari asks for testing permission

Ferrari has asked rival teams for permission to have Michael Schumacher test this year's car during the testing ban ahead of the European Grand Prix.

The German driver will replace Felipe Massa at the Maranello-based squad in Valencia, but Schumacher had not driven a Formula 1 car since last year.

The seven-time champion has already began his preparations for the race, having taken to the Mugello circuit today in a two-year-old F2007 car.

But Ferrari has written to the FIA and to its rival teams asking to allow Schumacher to test for a day with this year's F60 car in order to arrive better prepared for the Valencia race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77456

:D

Well, If they grant Ferrari 1 day testing permit, Whats stopping Toro Rosso from having a test day for Jaime Alguersuari?

I don't think Ferrari should receive any dispensation for that to be honest, the rules are the same for everyone

They should be the same for all teams, but in special circumstances (like this one for example) maybe it could be allowed. They are not testing the car, just the driver that's in it. If they were doing it for car development reasons then it should be a easy NO.

Well, If they grant Ferrari 1 day testing permit, Whats stopping Toro Rosso from having a test day for Jaime Alguersuari?

Toro Rosso choose the replace Bourdais, Ferrari did not choose for Massa to get injured. Circumstances are a little different between the two.

Schumacher happy with F2007 test

Michael Schumacher declared himself satisfied with his first Formula 1 test since April 2008 after reacclimatising using a 2007 vintage Ferrari at Mugello today.

In preparation for his comeback substituting for the injured Felipe Massa in Valencia later this month, Schumacher completed 67 laps of the Italian track in the two-year-old car, which had been supplied by Ferrari's F1 Clienti department. The F2007 was running on GP2 specification slick tyres.

Schumacher set a best time of 1m23.736s, and although the unusual machinery made direct comparisons difficult, the fastest time recorded during the Ferrari F60's week-long test at Mugello in January was a 1m23.981s by Massa.

"It's a great thing getting back on the track with an F1 [car] even if this was a car from 2007 from the F1 Clienti department with slicks usually used in GP2 and obviously there is no real point of reference," said Schumacher.

"After a couple of laps I was able to drive costant lap times and I'm happy with the performance.

"Now we've got to see how my body and the muscles respond in the next days."

Ferrari is still awaiting a response from rival teams to its request for an exemption to the testing ban to let Schumacher try the 2009 car before Valencia.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77471

They should be the same for all teams, but in special circumstances (like this one for example) maybe it could be allowed. They are not testing the car, just the driver that's in it. If they were doing it for car development reasons then it should be a easy NO.

Why should they? Michael has won 91 grand prix, and 7 world titles, he is hardly a newb. Besides, the rules wern't bent for Toro Rosso and Algesuari so why should they for anyone else? Besides, it would be hard for the FIA to police it and prevent any new parts being tried.

Michael is a competant driver, I don't think he needs a testing day, and I am sure the other teams will be unkeen to hand that kind of advantage to a competitor with whom they are fighting tooth and nail for points and money.

Toro Rosso choose the replace Bourdais, Ferrari did not choose for Massa to get injured. Circumstances are a little different between the two.

Surely the onus is on Ferrari to provide a race ready replacement, not for the FIA to bend the rules. The FIA allowing teams to bend the rules in this fashion was the cause of the large gaps in engine performance last year, for me to prove any credibility the FIA have to stick to the rules, regardless of the circumstances. Sure Massa's crash was nasty, but Ferrari are meant to ensure they have a race ready reserve driver.

I don't really think it should happen either, and yeah he should be able to get all the testing he needs in Friday Practice. He is a 7 time WC after all. :p

The situation with Toro Rosso is somewhat different like I said in my last post:

Toro Rosso choose to replace Bourdais, Ferrari did not choose for Massa to get injured. Circumstances are a little different between the two.

If Ferrari get a test day so should every other team. End of story. At least they put some thought into asking for permission and not just try to be sneaky about it and have some major scandal. :laugh:

Edited by CrashGordon

About time:

New Concorde Agreement finally signed

The FIA has announced that a new Concorde Agreement has been signed by president Max Mosley, heralding a final resolution to the political rows that rocked Formula 1 in the first half of 2009.

A three-way deal between the FIA, the sport's commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone and the F1 teams, the Concorde Agreement is the document that sets out how F1 is run and its revenues distributed.

The lack of a new Concorde deal had been a key sticking point during the disagreements between the FIA and the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) earlier this season.

"Following approval by the World Motor Sport Council, late last night FIA President Max Mosley signed the 2009 Concorde Agreement, heralding a renewed period of stability for the FIA Formula 1 world championship," said an FIA statement.

"The WMSC has also approved a slightly revised set of stable sporting and technical regulations (to apply from the 2010 championship onwards), which have been agreed by the FIA and the teams and which will be published shortly on the FIA's website.

"The new Concorde Agreement, which runs until 31 December 2012, provides for a continuation of the procedures in the 1998 Concorde Agreement, with decisions taken by working groups and commissions, upon which all teams have voting rights, before going to the WMSC for ratification."

AUTOSPORT understands that the team currently known as BMW Sauber has been given a deadline of next Wednesday (5 August) to sign up to the deal if the German manufacturer decides to open the operation up to a potential rescue package following its decision to quit F1.

The FIA also confirmed that final agreement had been reached on measures for further cost cutting.

"In addition, as agreed in Paris on 24 June 2009, the teams have entered into a resource restriction agreement, which aims to return expenditure to the levels that prevailed in the early 1990s," said the statement.

"With the 2009 Concorde Agreement and the resource restriction agreement in place, the FIA looks forward to a period of stability and prosperity in the FIA Formula 1 world championship."

souricon.gif News source: Autosport

Toro Rosso chose to replace Bourdais, Ferrari did not choose for Massa to get injured. Circumstances are a little different between the two.

Indeed.

Haug said he could see no reason why Ferrari's request should be rejected.

"Whatever we can do to support him we will do," Haug told AUTOSPORT. "I just think it is fair. This is an exception. If Michael had said he would come back under the condition that he could test, everybody would have said yes.

"His team-mate has thousands of kilometres in this car, and he has nothing. As we are fair players, why should he not get some testing? I would be very open to that.

Toro Rosso's new driver Jaime Alguersuari had to make his F1 debut in Hungary with minimal preparation due to the testing ban, but Haug thinks the young Spaniard would also have been granted an exemption if his team had asked.

"Maybe even a newcomer should get a test," said Haug. "If I would be asked to make an exception for a young guy, I would say yes.

"Giving Jaime a test would have been justifiable, but having said that I don't think there was an official request."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77518

Williams opposes Schumacher's test

The Williams team has opposed Ferrari's request to allow Michael Schumacher to test ahead of his return to Formula 1 at the European Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Ferrari had asked all current teams, as well as the FIA, to allow Schumacher to have a one-day test with this year's F60 car to familiarise himself with the machine.

Schumacher drove a two-year-old F2007 fitted with GP2 tyres at the Mugello circuit last week, the German having not driven F1 machinery since last year.

The seven-time champion, replacing the injured Felipe Massa in the Valencia race later this month, retired from F1 competition at the end of 2006.

Williams said it is opposing Ferrari's request because it clearly contravenes the regulations, which state testing is not allowed during the season.

"While we welcome Michael Schumacher back to Formula 1, the fact is that any form of in-season circuit testing is strictly prohibited; a regulation clearly laid out by the FIA and adhered to by all of the teams," said team boss Frank Williams.

"It was for this reason that Alguersuari, who drove an F1 car for the very first time in Hungary, did not have the opportunity to familiarise himself with the Toro Rosso before he made his race debut.

"Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels that any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future.

"In a similar situation, Williams would unhesitatingly use its current test driver. For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European Grand Prix."

Ferrari needed the unanimous approval of all teams to get Schumacher to test, which means the German will not be able to try to F60 before the Valencia event.

souricon.gif News source: Autosport

Well that's that then. Can't say I am surprised that someone objected.

Personally I think the ban on in season testing is daft anyway, but rules are rules and should stay the same for everyone.

Can't say I am surprised by Piquet being dropped, he has looked hopelessly out of his depth in Formula 1 ever since he came in, although it is Shameful that the team gave Alonso better treatment

Can't say I am surprised by Piquet being dropped, he has looked hopelessly out of his depth in Formula 1 ever since he came in, although it is Shameful that the team gave Alonso better treatment

It seems as though Renault never wanted him, seems rather harsh to have a performance based contract (he had to get 40% of Alonso's points) when Alonso had a faster car the majority of the time. Not to mention Piquet having half the testing time etc.

Ferrari slates Williams over test block

The Ferrari team has hit out at rival Williams over its decision to not allow Michael Schumacher to test this year's car ahead of his return to action at the European Grand Prix.

Ferrari asked all Formula 1 teams for permission to have a one-day test for Schumacher ahead of the Valencia race, where the German will replace the injured Felipe Massa.

On Tuesday, Ferrari hit out at Williams, saying the team had demonstrated a lack of spirit of fair play.

The Italian squad also referred to Williams as "a team that hasn't won anything for years."

Ferrari also revealed it had given Toro Rosso its approval to test rookie Jamie Alguersuari ahead of his debut in Hungary.

"Guess who opposed the test with the F60? A team that hasn't won anything for years and yet didn't pass over the opportunity to demonstrate once more a lack of spirit of fair play," Ferrari wrote in its official website under a news piece titled 'Indiscretion'.

"Just for the record, the Scuderia Ferrari had given its approval to let Alguersuari test, but it seems even in this instance someone decided to stick to the precise wording of the regulations."

Team boss Frank Williams said on Monday that he welcomed Schumacher back in F1, but that his team would not allow him to test.

"While we welcome Michael Schumacher back to Formula 1, the fact is that any form of in-season circuit testing is strictly prohibited; a regulation clearly laid out by the FIA and adhered to by all of the teams," Williams said.

"It was for this reason that Alguersuari, who drove an F1 car for the very first time in Hungary, did not have the opportunity to familiarise himself with the Toro Rosso before he made his race debut.

"Williams sees no distinction between Alguersuari's situation and Schumacher's and feels that any deviation from the rule would create a precedent for the future.

"In a similar situation, Williams would unhesitatingly use its current test driver. For the sake of consistency and fairness, therefore, we oppose Ferrari's proposal to test ahead of the European Grand Prix."

Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz also said yesterday that his teams were opposing the test.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77551

It seems as though Renault never wanted him, seems rather harsh to have a performance based contract (he had to get 40% of Alonso's points) when Alonso had a faster car the majority of the time. Not to mention Piquet having half the testing time etc.

Yep, I agree it is pretty sad really

Ferrari slates Williams over test block

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77551

Ferrari complaining that other teams don't play fair, and resorting to arrogant cheap shots? how sad. Their lack of competitiveness this season dulled me a bit, but that read reminds me how much I despise them.

I only say Ferrari shouldn't be allowed to test because Toro Rosso weren't either due to some teams (probably williams) refusing to allow it. As long as the FIA checked the car over to make sure no parts changed from the last GP there would have been no harm in it.

Schumacher sheds weight for F1 return

Michael Schumacher says he has already lost three kilos as he continues to prepare for his return to grand prix action in Spain.

The seven-time champion admitted, however, that he needs more work on his neck, which is still hurting slightly.

"I'm currently in the midst of my preparations for the upcoming race," Schumacher wrote on his website. "I already lost three kilograms even if it is also important to me to build up muscles. So all in all, the practice works pretty well.

"I only have to admit that my neck pinches a bit. We have to get a grip on that as health has priority - that's the clear arrangement made with Ferrari and, by the way, with my wife, too.

"It's on! I accepted the challenge. And as you all know, I really love challenges. It seems as if my fans would love them, too."

Schumacher was also thankful for the support he has received since it was announced he would replace Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix.

"I really would like to thank all my fans who keep their fingers crossed for my plans for all the positive feedback. It's incredible how much support I get from all over the world in these days.

"It almost feels like as if a flush of positive energy is coming over me. Compliments to all of you!"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77552

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ecclestone sure Schumacher will shine

Michael Schumacher will give driving lessons to some of his rivals when he returns to action in Spain, according to Bernie Ecclestone.

"I think he's going to give one or two of them a driving lesson," Ecclestone was quoted as saying by Reuters during a press conference on Tuesday.

"He obviously wouldn't have decided to come back unless he thought he was going to be competitive and Michael is a competitive guy.

"He's always been super popular even though he won too many races and people said he was boring. He was never boring and he won't be boring now."

The seven-time world champion will race for Ferrari at the European Grand Prix, replacing the injured Felipe Massa.

It will be the first F1 race for 40-year-old Schumacher since retired at the end of the 2006 season.

Ecclestone admitted Schumacher's return caught him by surprise.

"I think I was just as surprised as Willi Weber - his manager - he didn't know he was coming back (either)," he added.

"I think it was (Ferrari president) Luca di Montezemolo that convinced him."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77553