F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

with what happened to heikki in brazil, it was the teams' fault, to be precise - Lollipop Man's fault.

what FIA can do is, install a 'bright light' on the steering wheel, which would turn ON when fuel hose is connected. this way even if the Lollipop Man makes a mistake, atleast the driver can prevent any kind of dangerous situation.

Kimi was lucky to close his helmet visor before the fire started, otherwise it could have been really worse situation.

The problem there is you are introducing yet another object that the driver must concentrate on, and the lapse in reaction time between looking at the bloke and the light could cause havoc

They will probably bring back refueling the year after anyway :laugh:

Anybody else like the KERS system?

I thought it made races(well individual battles) more interesting.

According to Wikipedia, the rest of teams have dropped it due to cost, apart from Williams who want it.

I thought kers had made things interesting later one once the cars and kers were sorted. But everyone pretty much knew that it wasn't going to be cheap, but mclaren and ferrari could afford to make it work because I suppose they could flog it to other teams.

I like KERS, and I think it is a stupid decision to abandon it, when the major unit manufacturers have already got their units pretty much sorted, and the cost is already absorbed. Williams where not part of FOTA when this was agreed, and I believe they are lobbying to get this decision overturned, if not I believe we will see Williams departing from FOTA again soon, they could end up being the only team on the grid using KERS next year.

Personally I think the FIA should uncap the units, and allow them produce and utilise as much extra power as the units can physically generate, which would IMO make them far more attractive

2 or 3 teams with KERS was kind of annoying, the non-KERS drivers/teams who do a lot of hard work on Saturday, lose a lot on sunday, in opening lap itself. :laugh:

best example would be the Spa race, fisi could have won the race. & in the brazil gp, Rubens could have finished 3rd. :p

if everyone uses KERS, then it'd be interesting.

that Ferrari pit light system in Singapore was again the fault of the man who was controlling it.

Massa might have beaten the crap out of him after race :laugh:

Force India have the option of running Mercedes KERS, and I believe Brawn where given the option as well as where red bull to run Renault KERS, so its not like its an unfair advantage anyone could be running it. For me the fact that everyone doesn't run KERS is what makes it interesting, it makes for performance differentation. If every team had to produce their own KERS units, and they where completely uncapped, then it would be a better competition as there would be more scope for performance differences in the units.

As for the light system, yes I appreciate that but it was shown that that system was actually more prone to faults than the traditional lollipop system so I don't believe it would be the answer, whether the light is on the wheel or above the car

who will the next FIA president? :D

A new president awaits.

Analysis: Todt v Vatanen

AUTOSPORT analyses Ari Vatanen and Jean Todt, the two men who on Friday will fight for the presidency of the FIA

------------------------------------------

Did Honda throw a championship away?

Earlier this year I asked a Brawn engineer whether he thought the team would have been as competitive if its cars were still using Honda engines instead of Mercedes.

The response came back firmly in the negative, and various disparaging remarks were made about the quality of Honda’s engines and their inability to remove the skin from rice pudding.

:laugh:

:laugh:

now, lets see what happens in Todt Administration.

Todt elected new president of the FIA

Jean Todt is the new FIA president after comfortably winning Friday's election in Paris.

The former Ferrari team principal had been up against former world rally Ari Vatanen for the top job within motor racing's governing body.

Todt got 135 votes compared to Vatanen's 49. There were 12 abstentions or invalid votes.

The entire voting procedure was supervised by an external Huissier de Justice, the French state-appointed public witness.

The victory means he will succeed outgoing president Max Mosley, who made it clear from the outset that he wanted Todt to win the vote.

lol

Button to join Hamilton at McLaren in 2010?

Newly crowned F1 world champion, Jenson Button could be on the verge of signing a deal to link-up with Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next year.

Button, who clinched the title on Sunday at the Brazilian Grand Prix, is understood to be keen to stay at Brawn GP, however, there is believed to be a considerable discrepancy between what the Brit wants to be paid, and what his current team is willing to give him.

The 29-year-old surrendered more than 60 per cent of his previous Honda pay packet last winter to enable the team to stay afloat in the wake of the Japanese parent company's sudden and shock withdrawal from competition – but there was always the understanding, he thought, that his retainer would be re-instated once the necessary finances were in-place.

Now with Button said to be disappointed with what has been offered, it appears he could be set to leave and reports in British newspaper The Daily Mail say there is a 'secret plan for an all-British dream team of world champion Jenson Button and 2008 king Lewis Hamilton'.

McLaren-Mercedes boss, Martin Whitmarsh was cagey when asked if there had been any discussions with Button or his management, who are not set to begin proper negotiations with Brawn GP until after next weekend's finale in Abu Dhabi.

"We've talked to a number of drivers," Whitmarsh told the 'paper. "It wouldn't be appropriate to say more than that.

"We will hire the two best drivers available to us as we always have."

Meanwhile Button has also been linked to Toyota, with London's Evening Standard reporting as much on Thursday.

"There are a number of drivers around who people seem to think are fixed but who don't appear to be fixed," Toyota team president, John Howett said. "We're watching what happens in the driver market."

For the record, McLaren and Toyota are also said to be in talks with Kimi Raikkonen, who has been replaced at Ferrari by Fernando Alonso.

crash.net

I'd feel sorry for Brawn, but DAMN i'd love to see Hamilton and Button with Mclaren.

It seems though that Button's manager is talking to anybody who will listen.

New FIA president Jean Todt reveals plan for Schumacher reunion

Jean Todt may use his position as newly elected president of the world motoring federation to usher Michael Schumacher back to Formula One. Schumacher, who won five world championships under Todt's management at Ferrari, could become a commissioner responsible for Formula One following Todt's electoral defeat of Ari Vatanen in Paris today.

"I want to nominate commissioners because I am not intending to run Formula One as a first person," said Todt. "I don't want to underestimate the problems but success in my career has always been to have the right people in my teams. He [schumacher] is like a son. There has always been a place for him next to me and there will still be."

read more

New FIA president Jean Todt reveals plan for Schumacher reunion

Just read that about Todt. Congrats. Thought he was a good guy when @ Ferrari. Knows his stuff. Think he'll make a good president.

Wonder if he'll stand up to Bernie Ecclestone though?

McLaren keeping their distance from impatient Jenson Button

Jenson Button's growing impatience to secure a better pay deal with Brawn GP became clear yesterday with the new Formula One world champion's adviser hinting darkly that the British driver may look to another team. That has fuelled speculation that he could switch to McLaren, though Lewis Hamilton's team appear unlikely to sign Button.

Button is seeking a ?5m pay rise to ?8m after taking a pay cut to ensure the future of Brawn after Honda pulled out of Formula One before the start of the campaign. Brawn, however, have yet to offer Button new terms.

His manager, Richard Goddard, said: "Brawn could have sorted Jenson out weeks ago and none of this would be going on. We've been trying to agree terms with them. He's made it clear he wants to stay and, had they agreed a contract, there would be no speculation. People will speculate that anyone with a free seat next year will be offering Jenson a drive. That speculation won't die until Brawn offer him new terms.

"He has displayed his great talent in a good car this year. A lot of quality seats may still be available, so it's down to Brawn to make us an offer."

The Formula One commercial rights holder, Bernie Ecclestone, also seemed to display some impatience with Brawn as he commented on the situation. "They are being a little bit arrogant considering how long they have been in Formula One," Ecclestone said. "They should remember they have only been in the sport 10 minutes, really."Mercedes-Benz, McLaren's engine partner, was quick to distance itself from any link with Button, however. The car maker's director of motor sport, Norbert Haug, said: "There are no current negotiations with Jenson Button but I do understand that people in England are dreaming of an English team with two world champions in the cockpits. However, dreams don't always come true."b>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/2...e-jenson-button

I am not that keen on Todt becoming president. I don't like the way the election was handled by the FIA, and I don't like someone having past ties to a team being in charge of the organisation that sets the rules.

And I don't think Ferrari are in as much trouble as some people seem to think either, they have just had a bad year through pushing for the 2008 title so hard and are now suffering from their lack of development. They will be strong next year, as will McLaren

Full list of F1 2009 driver salaries:

1. Kimi Raikkonen $45m :ninja:

2. Lewis Hamilton $18m

3. Fernando Alonso $15m :unsure:

4. Nico Rosberg $8.5m

5. Felipe Massa $8m :huh:

6. Jarno Trulli $6.5m :wacko: :blink:

7. Sebastian Vettel $6m

8. Mark Webber $5.5m

9. Jenson Button $5m

10. Robert Kubica $4.5m

11. Heikki Kovalainen $3.5m

12. Nick Heidfeld $2.8m

13. Timo Glock $2m

14. Giancarlo Fisichella $1.5m

15. S?bastien Buemi $1.5m

16. Rubens Barrichello $1m

17. Jaime Alguersuari $0.5m

18. Vitantonio Liuzzi $Nil

19. Adrian Sutil $Nil

20. Romain Grosjean $Nil

21. Kazuki Nakajima $Nil

What the F1 teams spent on drivers in 2009:

1. Ferrari $53m

2. McLaren-Mercedes $21.5m

3. Renault $15m

4. Red Bull Racing $11.5m

5. Toyota $8.5

6. Williams $8.5m

7. BMW-Sauber $7.3m

8. Brawn GP $6m

9. Scuderia Toro Rosso $2m

10. Force India $1.5m

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/154093/1/f1_2...s_revealed.html

If Kimi doesnt lower his salary demad, he better start looking at Rally:pp

Toyota could afford kimi tho:DD

Honestly, F1 wants to lower the costs right? Why not introduce a salary cap? There's no reason Kimi should be getting $45m compared to 2nd highest paid at $18m. A $25m-30m cap seems about right (for those drivers combined, not each)...

They've talked about a cap before, they've said instead of paying them, reward them based on the achievement of the company, such as give them shares.

Button and Rubens are very low because they accepted a cut in wages to help the team when it went from Honda to Brawn GP. I think Jenson would proably want something a bit more next season, but it all depends on what Brawn can afford.

Those wages don't seem that bad to me, then again we don't know any hidden costs. Kimi is earning a wad load. I suspect Ferrari want to be near Mclaren in terms of contract costs., 10mill equal. Kimi is one of the best drivers but dam thats a lot of money.

I didn't realise Rubes only got paid $1m :s, thats gotta suck balls.

He's been in it for so long, he could retire any time and never have to work. I guess he just enjoys it enough to take the lower salary.

Button and certainly rubens have very low pay because as we know Brawn GP had money issues to start with. I imagine Rubens took a small pay check as he is nearing retirement soonish and wanted to keep going

Budget capping is the most ludicrous idea in the history of motorsport, and I am glad it got shelved. I do think Brawn need to rethink their strategy though, Button took a huge pay cut to help fund their success, with the money they will make I am sure they would be able to pay him what he wants, after all the years of loyal service, sticking by the team with crap cars ETC, he deserves a break and it is disappointing to see Brawn trying to shaft him like they're doing