F1 World Championship 2009 Thread

Rosberg confirms he will leave Williams

Nico Rosberg has confirmed he will leave the Williams team at the end of the 2009 season, after four years with the British squad.

Rosberg has been linked with a switch to the Brawn GP team for several weeks, and he has made it clear he wants to be driving a winning car in 2010.

The 24-year-old confirmed on Abu Dhabi on Thursday that he is to leave Williams after his current contract ends.

"It is my last race for Williams," said Rosberg. "And that is it really. It is a bit strange because for four or five years it is the only team I have worked with, so it has been a long time.

"I get on with everybody really well, obviously, and a lot of respect has built up - with the mechanics and everyone. So it will be quite strange to leave.

"I can also use this opportunity to thank the team, because all in all I think they have done, for my career, a lot of good. Especially Sir Frank [Williams], Adam Parr, Sam Michael and Patrick [Head], they supported my career all these years. So it is a big thank you to them."

He added: "I don't want to talk about my future. I just want to say that I won't be at Williams, because that is for sure."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79812

Trulli v Sutil Round 2: Jarno Goes Nuts in Abu Dhabi

Handbags at dawn at the Thursday FIA press confernce!

From Twitter:

d09adh857.jpg

NobleF1

Jarno Trulli and Adrian Sutil are having a big disagreement about their Brazil crash in the FIA press conference

NobleF1

Trulli has produced pictures of their crash to show he was alongside the Force India driver. Kimi and Fernando are laughing a lot :laugh:

byronf1

Trulli and Sutil have a public spat in a press conference in front of journalists over their Sao Paulo clash. "Are you blind" asked Sutil

alanbaldwinf1

Trulli and Sutil continuing row from Brazil, with former brandishing photos at news conference to make his point. Sutil not impressed.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?show...t&p=3961384

lol @ autosort thread

Especially ironic given Trulli pretty much caused this:

Yup Trulli also drove the WRONG WAY down the track in Singapore in 2008 after spinning and wanted to save himself another lap to get back to the pits.

I think we should start a thread on 'Trulli caused incidents in F1'. I'm sure someone would point Adrian Sutil to it...!!!

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?show...t&p=3961564

Drivers want clarification on standards

Formula 1 drivers look set to ask race director Charlie Whiting for a clarification about driving standards in Friday night's briefing in Abu Dhabi following a host of incidents in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

While most of the spotlight remains on the opening lap collision between Jarno Trulli and Adrian Sutil, which continued with the pair arguing in public during an official FIA press conference in Abu Dhabi on Thursday, concerns have emerged about other incidents in the race.

Outgoing Williams driver Nico Rosberg said that he would be seeking a clarification from Whiting about what was acceptable these days - with the German believing drivers were now being too aggressive in defending positions.

His comments come after separate collisions between Mark Webber/Kimi Raikkonen, Rubens Barrichello/Lewis Hamilton and Kamui Kobayashi/Kazuki Nakajima which all occurred after the driver ahead moved across on his rival in a bid to keep hold of his position.

"Barrichello, Webber and Kobayashi did exactly the same thing," said Rosberg. "With Webber, Raikkonen lost his front wing, with Kobayashi, Nakajima had a massive off, which could have been much worse - you can really hurt yourself, marshals and others in that sort of accident.

"With Barrichello, Lewis ran into the back of his tyre. That was the third time & and it is not allowed to happen.

"It is Michael Schumacher who started this, like at Spa [in 2000], when Mika Hakkinen tried to overtake him and he ran him off the track. When the guy behind has made a decision [to pass] and the guy in front then moves over, it is very dangerous. You cannot do that."

"That was the first time I remember it being a dangerous issue, so it needs to be looked at and clarified from my point of view. I will be mentioning it in the drivers' briefing."

"I am not saying anyone has done anything wrong [in Brazil], because there has not been a clarification about it, but the view of the drivers needs to be taken into account and we say it is very dangerous. Something needs to be changed."

Former world champion Fernando Alonso, who was an innocent victim of the Trulli/Sutil incident in Brazil, agreed that a clarification in the rules must be sought.

"I saw everything more or less, second or third row because there were some cars between us," he said. "But I think tomorrow in the drivers' briefing we will discuss it a bit deeper."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79822

Kimi lost that race b'coz of the noob webber.

I still think Trulli was actually at fault for that accident, ultimately though all the arguing in the world won't undo it now.

He's already been fined once, wouldn't surprise me if he gets fined for misconduct again!

James Allen

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen were sitting on the front row during this exchange and at one point Alonso said, “Shall we go?” But he couldn’t stop laughing as the two drivers went on and on at each other like a pair of schoolboys, both wanting to have the last word.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?show...t&p=3961853

Here’s a flavour of the Trulli/Sutil exchange:

Jarno Trulli: “I think I had every reason to be extremely furious. I’ve got all the evidence to show that I was there, I was next to him, so I think tomorrow we are going to discuss it.

Sutil: “I think there’s nothing to discuss. It was a quite obvious incident. In the end it was very disappointing for myself, even more, I think, because I was the one who was just driving and he lost control of his car and crashed in my back, so it was not my problem, it was his problem. I don’t know why he’s freaking out like that, to be honest. ”

JT: (Laughing)” If you want, I can show you some pictures. I don’t know if you’re blind but they clearly show you that my front wing is next to your front wing, so…”

AS: “Yeah, but you’re trying to overtake me on the outside on the kerbing. There was not a problem…”

JT: “So you mean… you didn’t move there…”

AS: “No, you were just not going off the power. The same happened in Barcelona where you lost control again and crashed again into a Force India car. You just have to sometimes also…”

JT: “I just lost…”

AS: “…expect the limits of the car. If there’s no way to go, you have to back off, that’s how racing is, and I don’t know how long you want to learn it. ”

JT: “In Barcelona I spun and he hit me because he tapped the kerb, he completely cut the circuit and he didn’t slow down, so basically… Anyway, I think it’s better… ”

AS: “No, no. Watch the race in Barcelona. I didn’t hit you, you hit me. I don’t know what’s the problem, but maybe your eyes are a problem.”

JT: “I don’t have any feeling about him. ”

AS: “I don’t understand, really, sorry.”

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen were sitting on the front row during this exchange and at one point Alonso said, “Shall we go?” But he couldn’t stop laughing as the two drivers went on and on at each other like a pair of schoolboys, both wanting to have the last word.

Sutil has been involved in plenty of collisions this year and he is quite sensitive to people reminding him of it.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/10/an-a...til-and-trulli/

:rofl:

would love the video version of this. :rofl:

Raikkonen says McLaren the only option

Kimi Raikkonen has revealed that his only real opportunity to remain in Formula 1 next year is to complete a deal with McLaren.

The Finn is a free agent after this season, having agreed an early end to his contract with Ferrari, yet he has not yet firmed up his plans for 2010.

He has been linked with moves to both McLaren and Toyota next year - but he revealed ahead of Abu Dhabi that there was only one real chance for him if he was going to remain in F1.

"Toyota has not even been discussed," Raikkonen told Finnish television station MTV3. "If I want to drive [F1] cars, then McLaren in the only option. I should know the situation in the next few days."

Raikkonen said in the official FIA press conference in Abu Dhabi that there were other options for him outside of F1 – including rallying or even a sabbatical.

"Basically I have a few different options and we will see what is the best one overall and then make my decision," he said.

When asked specifically about rallying, Raikkonen said: "It is definitely one of them, but I mean it is not just Formula 1 and rallying. There are other things I could do and we will see what happens."

Speaking about the possibility of taking a sabbatical, Raikkonen said: "I can if I want. I can do whatever I want, but like I said before, I haven't made my decision what I want to do yet."

Raikkonen's decision not to pursue an offer from Toyota leaves the Japanese manufacturer facing increasing difficulties to try and find a top-line driver for 2010 – with Robert Kubica also having rejected its overtures to sign a deal with Renault.

The team is understood to have offered both Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock deals for next year, but it is looking likely that both will leave – Trulli potentially for Lotus with Glock closing in on a deal with Renault.

McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen could be one option for Toyota, with Force India's Adrian Sutil also being linked in connection with the team. Japanese Kamui Kobayashi will also put himself firmly in the frame if he impresses again this weekend, following an encouraging debut in Brazil.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79831

Amusing but understandable that nobody really wants the toyota seat. For a team to have spent as much money as they have without having a single win to show for it is off-putting for prospective drivers.

Frank Williams confirms Cosworth switch

Frank Williams has officially confirmed that his team will switch to Cosworth engines next year, as AUTOSPORT revealed earlier this month.

Although the Grove-based outfit has so far kept silent about its engine plans, its move to Cosworth was decided on in the last few weeks after it ended talks it had held with Renault.

And now Williams himself has let the cat out of the bag about its intentions for 2010 after telling the Gulf News newspaper that his team was making the switch to Cosworth.

"We've finished our contract with Toyota and we've moved on to a British engine manufacturer Cosworth with whom we have won many world championships in the past," he said.

"They are 50 miles away from Williams which is very convenient. Besides we also like our independence. We will be not under the influence, not that Toyota ever bossed around, but we've just gone a private and independent route."

He added: "Our performance needs to improve. We staggered in the second half of the 2009 season. It's fundamental that the car is not fast enough, but from what I've seen we should have been a little more competitive."

Williams also revealed that the team will announce its driver plans for next year on Monday, with the team set to reveal Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg as its line-up.

"We will announce our drivers for next season on Monday," he said. "[Nico Rosberg] will be leaving and we just thought it was quite a long time.

"There are a few things going on at Williams for next season, with our engines, so we thought we can do better. Nico is German and Mercedes need at least one German driver to sit before their engine."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79835

So, Nico for Brawn or McLaren?

Brawn :p , obviously. Merc. buying 70%+ of Brawn GP.

If merc. puts Nico in McLaren, they know he'll never be given the same car as lewis', a winning car.

----------------------------------------

Hamilton heads first Abu Dhabi practice

2ljoqwi.jpg

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79846

Edited by san.W10

Qualifying has begun. Now we'll see what happens. Love the appearance of the track though, it's really nice looking!

Ok, Out of Q1 are: Alonso, Fisichella, Liuzzi, Sutil, Grosjean

Q2: Raikkonen, Kovalainen, Nakajima, Alguersuari, Kobayashi

Edited by Chasethebase

1 L Hamilton McLaren

2 S Vettel Red Bull

3 M Webber Red Bull

4 R Barrichello Brawn

5 J Button Brawn

I like the track, it is well layed out, it challenges the drivers, and it has overtaking possibilities. Also, a very impressive performance by McLaren all through the weekend, as long as Lewis gets away from the line well he should be able to run away with this one