Windows 7 Can't Stay Asleep!

Windows 7 (build 7057) will go into sleep, sit there maybe a minute or two (almost definitely no more than ten minutes), then wake up again. It will eventually realize the mouse and keyboard haven't been used for several minutes (whatever my settings are set to use) and will then return to a short period of sleep which will be again interrupted for no apparent reason. What's the deal? Thanks.

Most likely because you need to turn off the wake up setting on your network card. I had a more detailed walkthrough here. It was based on the older build of Windows 7 but it should be the same thing

I've had similar issues way i fixed it was just change power settings and disabled screen turning off and disabled auto go to sleep since i just leave pc running almost always which has stopped it doing the reboot and dropping USB keyboard for some reason but if you still wish to use keyboard just take it out and plug it back in then recognises it and can use it as usual again.

1. Open a command window

2. type powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

3. Open device manager

4. Open every device you found in step 2 and uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer".

Most likely because you need to turn off the wake up setting on your network card. I had a more detailed walkthrough here. It was based on the older build of Windows 7 but it should be the same thing

This fixed it for me on every build.

This happened when I used to use Media Center for Vista last year, my computer kept turning on throughout the day, and night - ever so irritating.

What does it mean when the window closes? I tried "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" and it opens the command window but then quickly closes itself out.

What does it mean when the window closes? I tried "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" and it opens the command window but then quickly closes itself out.

Open up a command prompt window and type it into that. Then you will be able to see the output.

Yep, that was it. The network card must have been getting random traffic. The weird thing is that Windows Vista never did this. I wonder if Windows Vista has this Wake-on-Lan setting disabled by default. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

Did you update the lan drivers. You can go to the lan drivers in device manager,advance setting wake on ping and make the changes there also. There are also setting in the bios fro this . WOL WOR

I had that problem too until I turned off the wake timers in the advanced settings of your active Power Plan. (That may be what the command line instructions already mentioned do but I'm a UI kind of guy).

You shouldn't have to change any wake timer settings.

This is almost certainly due to your network card(s) triggering Wake-On-LAN. I think this is either due to a change in the default WOL setting or due to buggy network drivers, but am not absolutely sure. I know my home desktop has this problem (if I don't disable WOL in Device Manager) but my other machines don't.

this problem was driving me insane, it even made me install vista back again.... but then noticed how much slower it was and reinstalled win7! disabling wol on my network card fixed it for me too, cheers

it stays asleep on my notebook (acer ferrari 5000), but it doesnt on my desktop pc. strange.

Same with mine. However, even disabling the WOL setting, it very randomly wakes up for 2 minutes then goes back to sleep. When the setting was enabled, it woke right after going to sleep, however, with the setting disabled, it still wakes up every day or so for the 2 minutes and goes right back to bed. :hmmm: Very strange.

• 1 year later...

Windows 7 (build 7057) will go into sleep, sit there maybe a minute or two (almost definitely no more than ten minutes), then wake up again. It will eventually realize the mouse and keyboard haven't been used for several minutes (whatever my settings are set to use) and will then return to a short period of sleep which will be again interrupted for no apparent reason. What's the deal? Thanks.

Yes ! I found the solution for Windows 7. Strange, but true.

My hp desktop computer waked itself automatically after 10-30 seconds of being hybernated. I had disabled all the wake up for the network card settings in bios, disabled the computer browser service, the tcp ip netbios helper service., etc. and NOTHING WORKED... UNTIL I TRIED THIS:

---------------------------------------------------------

Go to control panel, power options.

on your current plan, select "change plan settings"

again, choose "change advanced power settings"

select the category Display, and on "Turn off display after", set the setting to Never.

---------------------------------------------------------

I know this seems absurd, as it initially does not have nothing related to the problem, but it worked.

I hope it helps,

Roger