windows server CALs

can someone please explain to me wtf a client access license is? on microsoft's site (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...aloverview.mspx) it says this: "a Windows Server 2003 Client Access License (CAL) is required for each user or device (or combination of both) that accesses or uses the server software."

this can't possibly mean that if a business had a server hosting a website and streaming media server using iis and wms, that each person who visited the site/listened to the site had to have a CAL for that server? i am very confused by this, and have been wondering this ever since i read about it with windows 2000 server years ago. now that 2003 has launched, my curiosity is growing even larger.

It's for clients of the domain. Each seat needs to have a CAL, otherwise the server starts to complain when you go over the registered number of clients.

edit: further explanation:

You have a domain with 1 Windows 2000 server and 25 clients you want to connect to your server, and they each need a CAL. You need the 5 CALs that come with the server, plus enough CALs purchased to let them all login to your domain. You can buy them in fives or 25, whichever is cheaper for you (or more I'm not sure. I only buy in fives right now).

ok, but what type of client? someone within the company on the corporate network? just whoever's logged into the server? that's the only thing i can think of, but it doesn't totally make sense to me.

Do you need a CAL even though you have a valid Windows license?

This stuff is all new to me... :x

Yes, you need an access license, which is not the same as the software license.

ok, i think i get it now, thanks a lot silly_walk :happy:

now, if you have an extra minute, could you explain per server licensing? what if you have one really fast server with 300 users logged onto it, it's no different if you just have 5 users logged on? :pinch:

edit: ooh, ooh, i think i got it :D

a server is given x number of CALs. after x number of users log on, the server denies new logon attempts. am i right? :o :woot:

edit 2: do local users count in per server licensing? for example, if an admin is administering the server, does he/she take up one of the CALs for that server? :huh:

Edited by gameguy34

I sucks that you have to buy the server, and then the workstation and then you have to pay even more money just for the workstation to connect to the server. That's how MS makes money, but I think it's kind of a messed up way to do it.

If only Linux had Active Directory. hmmmmmmmmm

now, if you have an extra minute, could you explain per server licensing? what if you have one really fast server with 300 users logged onto it, it's no different if you just have 5 users logged on? :pinch:

a server is given x number of CALs. after x number of users log on, the server denies new logon attempts. am i right? :o :woot:

edit 2: do local users count in per server licensing? for example, if an admin is administering the server, does he/she take up one of the CALs for that server? :huh:

Actually on most versions of windows server this is just a legal issue. Tecnically it will work with any number of clients that you put into active directory but you will still be illegal.

And btw... you do need a special CAL for web servers which will be called Internet Connector with WS2003. As I have heard you buy one of this CALs if your monthly traffic is 1 user as well as 20000 users. This is one VERY expensive CAL.

I really dont see too many people upgrading legally from W2k to WS2k3. Too expensive just to have WinXP icons :p

fjv

now, if you have an extra minute, could you explain per server licensing?  what if you have one really fast server with 300 users logged onto it, it's no different if you just have 5 users logged on? :pinch:

a server is given x number of CALs.  after x number of users log on, the server denies new logon attempts.  am i right? :o  :woot:

edit 2: do local users count in per server licensing?  for example, if an admin is administering the server, does he/she take up one of the CALs for that server? :huh:

Actually on most versions of windows server this is just a legal issue. Tecnically it will work with any number of clients that you put into active directory but you will still be illegal.

And btw... you do need a special CAL for web servers which will be called Internet Connector with WS2003. As I have heard you buy one of this CALs if your monthly traffic is 1 user as well as 20000 users. This is one VERY expensive CAL.

I really dont see too many people upgrading legally from W2k to WS2k3. Too expensive just to have WinXP icons :p

fjv

just to have Windows XP icons?

i can see you didn't do your homework on Windows 2003 Server.

Glad you're not my system administrator. :D

just to have Windows XP icons?

i can see you didn't do your homework on Windows 2003 Server.

Glad you're not my system administrator. :D

Verily, thou speakest the truth. :cool:

Well there aren't many differences from Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003 tbh. A few nice additions but nothing ground breaking ;)