Compaq HELP PLEASE

ok heres the deal i wiped a compaq 7478 disk clean now when i try to install win xp pro to it via floppy disks 1-6 on the first disk i get the error I/O error ..2nd it wont boot to the cd at all ..3rd so i said ok i'll install win98 on it , well when i try to switch to the d drive it tells me that theres no drive there !! ughh...so i am at wits end ., anyone here have a solution to my problem besides the fact that i should toss it in the dumpster ?

You try checking your bios to see if you can't change it around to boot off your cd drive? Do you have a windows startup disk available? That might help you get atleast 98 installed on it.

If you're getting an I/O Error from a floppy disk it may be damaged or just old.

First go into the BIOS (Hit F10 when you power on) and under the Boot Menu check to see if CD-Rom is first. I'm not sure what kind of BIOS you have since there are different models, in my case my compaq has an Award BIOS. If it still fails to boot from a CD or you can't figure it out.

What you want to do is make a new boot disk off another computer and try booting from that. Get the XP boot Disks off Microsoft and that will create disks that will start Setup and put all the neccesary drivers in RAM for the CD-Rom,etc...