Windows 7 RC/RTM Builds

Chris's information is usually accurate and Paul is accurate too. The case here is Paul claimed that winmain builds have stopped and Microsoft are focusing on RC which is partially true in a way, the RC builds have been branched but until the RC is declared the work and builds that are 710x are still 707x/708x builds replicated so yes winmain is just a shaddow of the RC builds at the moment so technically "no work is being done" but it's a bit more complicated than that.

I bet you'll refuse again to back up your assumptions with reliable sources, right?

Replicating the winmain builds using winrc builds which are a few days older would make no sense whatsoever, and you still expect people to believe that? :hmm:

I bet you'll refuse again to back up your assumptions with reliable sources, right?

Replicating the winmain builds using winrc builds which are a few days older would make no sense whatsoever, and you still expect people to believe that? :hmm:

Yet, the code in 7106 is older, it does not include the changes done in 7077. What is your explanation to make sense of this?

Yet, the code in 7106 is older

Feel happy parroting that unfounded claim? :pinch:

it does not include the changes done in 7077. What is your explanation to make sense of this?

The builds were split into two main forks, winrc (7076+) and winmain (7105+).

That means, changes done in winrc don't automatically appear in winmain, because the two are built separately.

When the final RC will be completed, the two trunks will be unified again, and the changes from winrc will be introduced into winmain.

Jeez why the heck is this so hard for you to understand

They are BRANCHING the code, not replacing it. 71xx builds will be part of the RTM line, and will be developed towards the RTM release. The branching is just a way to split their development, so that they can put some of their focus into delivering the RC. Bugs that are found in the RC will be merged back into the official RTM code line, as development on the RC line will probably be frozen once the build is released.

These recompiled builds are a replacement of nothing, just the start of the RTM line. As I stated in another thread recompiling code does not make it newer, regardless of what the build tag says

Jeez why the heck is this so hard for you to understand

I'll just give that back to you.

They are BRANCHING the code, not replacing it.

I never claimed they would be *replacing* anything, don't make up things out of thin air here.

I just said they split the code into winrc and winmain.

71xx builds will be part of the RTM line, and will be developed towards the RTM release. The branching is just a way to split their development, so that they can put some of their focus into delivering the RC. Bugs that are found in the RC will be merged back into the official RTM code line, as development on the RC line will probably be frozen once the build is released.

That's just what I said above. Once the final RC has been completed, any changes done in winrc will be merged back into winmain. When the final RC has been released, it will of course make no sense anymore to continue the winrc branch.

As I stated in another thread recompiling code does not make it newer, regardless of what the build tag says

You're contradicting yourself here :pinch:

Above you said that they branched as a way to split their development. Nothing to say against that.

Now you're saying that they actually didn't split their development and that winmain is the same as winrc, just recompiled with a different build tag. Having two builds of the same code, with the sole difference being the build tag would make no sense whatsoever.

If you see Tom W. Have him explain it to you. All I know is that I am staying with build 7077 until the RC1 is released.

No one is forcing you to use anything else if you don't want to.

Or did you see a man with a pistol standing behind you, demanding that you install 7106 or whatever?

Above you said that they branched as a way to split their development. Nothing to say against that.

Now you're saying that they actually didn't split their development and that winmain is the same as winrc, just recompiled with a different build tag. Having two builds of the same code, with the sole difference being the build tag would make no sense whatsoever.

Really, please just stop pretending to be an expert because you aren't pulling it off all too well. What I said may not have been clear to you, but it is to me, and the statement that a recompiled build doesn't have to be newer is correct.

And yes, it does make sense, it is really quiet simple. The code branches are merged so that they can focus on finalising the RC code and remove any showstopping bugs before release. They then continue working on the RTM code line and merge any fixes from the RC stage back into it. You have to have a startline, and the startline is the recompiled build from the RC branch, it is merely recompiled to signify a divergence into the new codeline.

Wow, Ba'al you're overcomplicating the hell out of this lol.

+1

Build 7075.winmain (April 1) = 7105.winmain (April 4)

Build 7076.winmain (April 2) = 7106.winmain (April 8)

Build 7077.winmain_win7rc (April 4) = 7107.winmain (April 9)

http://icrontic.com/articles/charting-windows-7-development

Really, please just stop pretending to be an expert because you aren't pulling it off all too well.

it is really quiet simple.

That, too, goes right back at you, Mr. "Quiet Simple".

The code branches are merged so that they can focus on finalising the RC code and remove any showstopping bugs before release. They then continue working on the RTM code line and merge any fixes from the RC stage back into it. You have to have a startline, and the startline is the recompiled build from the RC branch, it is merely recompiled to signify a divergence into the new codeline.

You really think they waste that much time to merge the current winrc code into winmain every day? :blink:

Hardly. They'll maintain both branches separately and then merge the changes from winrc into winmain once the final RC has been built.

Why doesn't everyone just wait and see what happens? :)

Seems like a fairly simple solution to me. Fighting over which builds contain what and when they were compiled accomplishes nothing.

What does it even matter anyways?

so let me get this straight, after the split at 7076, the 710x branch is used for implementing new features, and the 707x branch is used for fixing bugs?

Correct. :)

You really think they waste that much time to merge the current winrc code into winmain every day? :blink:

Hardly. They'll maintain both branches separately and then merge the changes from winrc into winmain once the final RC has been built.

At this point I don't think they're working on Winmain already. They're just finishing up WinRC so it gets just that little more stable and has those little quirks ironed out. As soon as RC is done they will continue in the Winmain branch. At this point they are probably just copying things over, so Winmain and WinRC will be exactly the same.

so let me get this straight, after the split at 7076, the 710x branch is used for implementing new features, and the 707x branch is used for fixing bugs?

Yes, that's how I see it as well. In the winrc branch, any remaining bugs are worked out, to make the RC as polished as possible.

In the winmain branch, the new features for Rtm will be implemented, and the bugfixes from winrc will be merged here once the final RC is done.

You may be part of the few on this forum but 99% of the general public know little to nothing about Windows 7 at this point. Some of us (myself included) live for this stuff. Once Windows 7 RTM is out, we will have to get a real life I suppose. ;)

You may be part of the few on this forum but 99% of the general public know little to nothing about Windows 7 at this point. Some of us (myself included) live for this stuff. Once Windows 7 RTM is out, we will have to get a real life I suppose. ;)

You still got Windows 8 :laugh:

:) Good point.

Where is that beta signup page for Windows 8? :omg:

I remember when Windows Vista RTM leaked, everyone was talking about "Melinda Gates serial key" I LOL'd.