The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

http://internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3317211

but i dont see any antivirus in my build 2082

They, along with almost every other site, or so it seems, appear to be confusing, making an assumption of this, with regard to the security centre and the Anti Virus tab.

All this tab is doing (as far as I see it) is checking to see if you have AV software installed (at least at the moment) They may add their own AV software eventually, but as far as the current build is concerned it is only a check to see, as mentioned, if you have AV software installed.

@HoochieMamma: just open control panel with Category View on, its there with a great big new fangled icon :)

It appears that IE is sucking more CPU in this build than in SP1 and SP2 beta1. My laptop's CPU fan has come on twice today doing the same things I used to do without it ever coming on. Hopefully this will be fixed by final :angry:

I don't know how many people this affects, but I'll post anyhow:

After installing this new build, everything seems more responsive. My wireless connection is especially faster for whatever reasons. The trouble came when I tried to install VirtualPC 2004. The software installs fine, with one hang at the end saying that after a reboot I need to run the install.bat file from the Utility folder within VirtualPC. I do that, the command box pops up and says that everything installed successfully. I am never able to launch VirtualPC, however. In Device Manager the Virtual devices of my PCI wireless NIC and other NIC's are created, but marked with the yellow exclamation, meaning they're installed but the driver won't start. Also, I lost wireless internet connectivity completely. Uninstalling Virtual PC 2004 solves the problem completely.

Anyone have a guess as to why this would happen? I should file a report, but I uninstalled the MS report program.

How goddamn cool :woot: Fully updated AV and Firewall shows up as cool in the MS Security centre, it even warned me when my McAfee definitions were out of date :o

post-11-1077749686.png

How cool is that? Will this work with other AV also?

Doesnt appear to work with PandaAV (a program I have had nothing but trouble with, see screenshot above)

Just tried with McAfee and have to say all is fine, except I dont like all the damn cookies etc its always trying to save ... (I have IE6 set to notify when anything attempts to save a cookie, and Im surprised its still active and notifying even though my default browser is Fx)

My Security Center isn't picking up the Windows Firewall. It will be "On" when I start the service, but after around a minute or so i'll get the balloon popup saying firewall wasn't available. So I open it up, go to the recommendations button, hit the "enable now" button and I get that popup message about "We're sorry..." (see attached Image). What's up with this?

Edit: Oh, and the firewall actually is on, even though it doesn't show that in the Security Center. ALG and Windows Firewall are started and set automatic.

post-11-1077760874.png

Oh, and the firewall actually is on, even though it doesn't show that in the Security Center. ALG and Windows Firewall are started and set automatic.

I reported this very problem to Microsoft.

They said they are testing a fix.

They, along with almost every other site, or so it seems, appear to be confusing, making an assumption of this, with regard to the security centre and the Anti Virus tab.

All this tab is doing (as far as I see it) is checking to see if you have AV software installed (at least at the moment) They may add their own AV software eventually, but as far as the current build is concerned it is only a check to see, as mentioned, if you have AV software installed.

@HoochieMamma: just open control panel with Category View on, its there with a great big new fangled icon :)

How do i find this...I'm not to sure

How do i find this...I'm not to sure

Im assuming you mean the Security Centre?

If so just click on Control Panel in the Start Menu, and if the Category View is selected you will be able to see it, if not, and it shows Classic View then just click it from the list.

Hope that helps.

Looks like I'm going to ghost back to SP2 Beta 1. My laptop fan never used to come on while surfing, but with this build IE is using more CPU than it used to. Oh well, Beta1 worked fine. :angry:

That doesn't even look like build 2082, that look like 2055 because the Firewall is named differently and the icon has changed since 2055. What build are you running?

ohhhh crap its 2055 (but on neowin the express install of 2082 was on for a bit before they got rid of it and i thought it was 2082)

what do you mean illegal??? its not like iam telling you where to get XP (even though i know ;) ) its a service pack they are FREE!!!! (neowin themselves had the express install on the site for like 3 hours)

what do you mean illegal??? its not like iam telling you where to get XP (even though i know ;) ) its a service pack they are FREE!!!! (neowin themselves had the express install on the site for like 3 hours)

:huh:

No comment.

No comment at all.

You're so 1337, what with your "For me, EVERY piece of software is under the GNU licensing agreement." statement and all. Perhaps you should take your illegal copy of Windows XP and knock on Bill Gates door and ask to play with his latest toy, SP2.