The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

Most likely next month, to give proper time to test and bugfix RC2. Probably mid to late July or early August, just kinda from what I've been reading.

i hope they finish with this sp2 soon ,my bowels are getting loose already !!!

Thanks for your graphical input, a tad bit on the disturbing end dont u think? :huh:

Quote: "That is huge for a SP"

Gerry_74 - SP2 is really not a "Service Pack/Patch" - That is just Microsoft Marketing Speak - In Reality it is a TOTAL RECOMPILE of the "Windows XP" Operating System - Focusing on Internet Security.

Think of it as Windows XP v. 2.0!!!!! ;)

Windows XP was Cool when it first came out because it combined the Stability of Windows 2000 with the Multi-Media features of Microsoft's other "Consumer Operating Systems". The Only Problem is that the Networking Protocols were Stiil a mess - Hence SP1 (Which WAS more like a patch). MicroSoft has gotten more serious since then. SP2 won't be totally Bullet Proof - But it should be a LOT Better that SP-1. Plus if MicroSoft manages to squeeze out some more performance in there - while they are at it (i.e. Make the code a little more Leaner & Meaner) - then that will just be the Tasty Cheery on top!!!! :woot:

The Only Problem is that the Networking Protocols were Stiil a mess - Hence SP1 (Which WAS more like a patch).

Sorry but that is rubbish, the networking protocols are the same they haven't changed, SP1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Operating System.

Longhorn includes a completely rewritten TCP stack not XP SP1 or SP2.

strange I think he is right, on my windows xp sp1 machine there is a windows update which has new tcp stack, this seems to be built into sp2.

No :blush:

Can't i rollback my system with system restore like it was 1hour ago ?

I've got many things on my pc, it take days to configure everythings :(

Thanks in advance for your response.

Then stop asking for help, thief.

strange I think he is right, on my windows xp sp1 machine there is a windows update which has new tcp stack, this seems to be built into sp2.

That's IPv6, not IPv4 which everyone is talking about here.

That's IPv6, not IPv4 which everyone is talking about here.

Sorry im not too bright when it comes to this :blush: but what does IPv4 and IPv6 mean does IP mean Information Protocol? :blink:

Yeah, I've tried 2144.

Very fast but still I had problems with Divx, WMP 10, Outpost 2.1 and a small issue with that NX protection feature. It was disabling by Sonicstage from starting but it did give me the option to turn off the protection for that application.

Yeah, I've tried 2144.

Very fast but still I had problems with Divx, WMP 10, Outpost 2.1 and a small issue with that NX protection feature. It was disabling by Sonicstage from starting but it did give me the option to turn off the protection for that application.

I have not noticed any improvemt in the speed of my so. Maybe ur cpu is doing a great job. I would love to have a processor that support NX. Any mod for a 1.4 p4? :p :p

There is one problem with Bitdefender (Antivirus), is not being recongnized by WSA. This feature will be available only to microsoft partners or the program (antivirus) need an update?

Btw, i have problems with Divx too. Everytime i open a movie in divx/xdiv format, the programs (winamp/wmp)crash and dissapears. I am using divx player right now. This is since 2138.

By "Networking Protocols were Still a mess" - What I meant was that the "Port" implementation in Windows was/IS a mess. Microsoft left certain Ports Open all the time on purpose as a Back Door. If you are Paranoid like me you would have to dig deep down into the guts of the system to make sure that All Unnecessary Ports were CLOSED (BTW check out a Program called "Active Ports" - It works well). The Sloppiness of

"Outlook Express" being tied into "MS Messenger" - which is part of the Windows Sub-System ("Services") is a good example of this - we have all become accustomed to "Patch" - "Patch" - "Patch" (If you don't Patch up that Big Hole in MS Messenger you are shooting yourself in the foot - that thing likes to stay on all the time too) by now that maybe we have forgotten that MS should be putting out an OS that is "LOCKED DOWN" by "DEFAULT". Also, Microsoft has been Championing "Broadband" for the longest time now - but as anyone can see - if you hook up a "Win XP" system to lets say a Cable Modem (Which is Online 24/7) with out some form of Firewall (Only NOW is a REAL Software Firewall being built into SP2) in effect - you are dooming yourself to

Worms, Trojans, Adware, Spyware - etc. & eventually your System Performance will go totally down the drain!!!!

Windows XP SP2 build 2144 is not RC2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 RC2 Build 2214 is the lastest Build

Sorry i meant 2214, it was a common typing error :( prove that it is RC2 i cant find anything that says it defo is!

Sorry i meant 2214, it was a common typing error :( prove that it is RC2 i cant find anything that says it defo is!

No infact i was wrong as there is no such thing as 2214 so it wasnt a typing error :D

So, finally, what is the lastest build (and where to download it ?) ?

2142...and windowsbeta.microsoft.com. Yes, get on the beta team or wait.

I'm notin beta team but it' installed ;)

2145 seems to be the latest build, i dont think i want to give my opinion about illegal sources for downloading :)

using 2142 still doesn`t recognize NAV.

can anyone please confirm this?

AVG is recognized on alternate machine with XP SP2 2096

TIA

using 2142 still doesn`t recognize NAV.

can anyone please confirm this?

AVG is recognized on alternate machine with XP SP2 2096

TIA

Mate NAV has not been configured yet to be recognised by the security centre, it have never been thus far but microsoft do know about it and will correct it either in the RC2 or the RTM version but defo the final release :)