The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

will XP SP2 be available at midnight tonight....not that I would stay up 'till midnight, but atleast when I wake up tommorrow, it would be nice to be able to download & slipstream so that I can start getting all my computers set up.

Midnight in what time zone? I would guess PST since that's where Redmond is. Then you need a decent link. That might be the other good advantage to getting it in the wee hours.

But.....we all know:

They will put it up when they are good and ready. They've proven that time and time again..(sigh) :unsure:

Ditto's on your post wanting to have it for morning work :rolleyes:

winsupersite.com is nothing but FACTS. RTM was August 4th & RTW is today.

It says:

"On August 4, 2004, Microsoft released Windows XP SP2 to manufacturing. You will be able to download this update starting August 5, 2004 here."

However, Obviouslly, The Link does not contain the update..

WELL DUH!

Proving, That The WinSuperSite is in fact NOT nothing but facts..

winsupersite.com is nothing but FACTS. RTM was August 4th & RTW is today.

It says:

"On August 4, 2004, Microsoft released Windows XP SP2 to manufacturing. You will be able to download this update starting August 5, 2004 here."

However, Obviouslly, The Link does not contain the update..

WELL DUH!

Proving, That The WinSuperSite is in fact NOT nothing but facts..

Any idea what time it was in Redmond when you posted that? Early hours of the morning by my reckoning. Even if RTM hadn't been delayed it's unlikely MS would have put the update in that link in the middle of the night. Usually it's mid afternoon (Redmond time) when releases seem to hit the web from MS (from my own observations)

How many of you are currently running a buggy XP and putting off re-installing it knowing SP2 is due any time now? Working on Sod's, Murphy's & all those other backwards laws, if we all do a clean install, SP2 will get released immediately afterwards. :rolleyes: (now if someone else will prove those laws work, that would be really cool :D )

Paul may be skeptical about a release today as well; He's removed the "download link" from his news post. (He still claims it's RTM, but it doesn't look that way to me.)

I was planning to get it today, but it doesn't look like that anymore. I wouldn't mind waiting, if I just knew when the final version would be ready. Maybe it'll be ready on Patch Tuesday. Or maybe not 'til the 25th. :p

Yeah Jason - I got Over Excited - I was also Hoping for a Performance Boost - I haven't seen it so far - Stabile but not Speedy - I think that I was Psyching My-self into Thinking that Win XP SP2 was like "Longhorn Light". :wacko:

RTM means "Release to Manufacturing." Pretty much means that the service pack is finished, and they're making CDs, getting it ready to put on their web site, etc.

RTM and "Final" should be the same thing.

After it RTMs, it may leak, so people could get their hands on it before it is posted on MS's web site or Windows Update.

It doesn't look like it has RTM'ed yet, though.

It is supposed to be released today or tommorow. They will also release a FREE CD instead of downloading around August 20th or so. Just be patient.

To acquire the RTM, we MUST turn on Automatic Update to get it?

dL

no, RTM is simply said a release for computer stores (if I'm correct...) but usually someone in computerstore X will put it online so we get it before MS puts it on the web themselves.

If you turn on Automatic Updates you'll get a message from MS when it's available on windows Update (when they put it there).

But I think you'll also have to wait till the time that is set on your settings for automatic updates (for example it checks at 10:00)

If you want to be with the first to get SP2 you realy have to check this website or maybe some others. But nobody will die because he didn't get the SP2 immediatly, so if you install it in a week it won't matter to anyone.

Me, I've been waiting to fix my GF's computer untill this SP came out (will do a slipstream to install windows) so I'm actually waiting to get it as soon as possible... :happy:

Schedule and Builds

Beta 1 Build 2.055 was released on 12/16/03

The current build in test is Build 2.094 which was released on 3/12/04

The next targeted milestone is RC1 on 3/17/04

RC2 is targeted for 4/30/04

RTM is targeted for 5/28/04. MS is currently 90% confident of meeting this date.

Apprently available for download today (05/08/04).

For everyone who is over excited about getting their hands on SP2, plan on getting on the 25th via windows update. Microsoft still plans on upholding that date. Anything before then is gravy. So sit back and relax because there's still another 20 days.