The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

Looks like Paul Thurrott is reporting that SP2 will be Final in late July or early August. Read it here.

RC1 - 17th March

RC2 - 15th June

RTM - Could be within 2 weeks.

The scroll build (RTM) is due within 2 weeks according to some but obviously RTM isn't date driven so it could slip. Putting a date on RTM is hard until the build is actually compiled and ready for OEM/Premium etc.

To say SP2 was key to Microsofts security strategy would be an understatement. If you read this thread, you will note that Microsoft are attempting to get SP2 too "ship with all new PCs as part of an agreement with OEMs and computer retailers."

They set out their stategy for all PC's retailing, Post SP2: "Ideally, every PC in the store will have SP2 pre-installed. For those computers that ship to retailers without the upgrade, we're working to get the upgrade installed at the time of the sale to the consumer. The customer will be able to wander into store, buy a machine and walk out with SP2 installed."

If SP2 is to go RTM by the end of July, I believe one of two things will happen:

1. SP2 is currently final, its going to press on new Windows CD's. It will be sent out too all OEM's in the next few weeks and we will have it available for download in two weeks time.

2. SP2 will become final at the end of July and will be released in the middle of August; to OEM's, to shops, on the internet and available on a free CD from Microsoft.

I am going for 2. Don't get your hopes up for a Mid/Late July release!

Yeah 2 is right. It's not final yet believe me heh.

As soon as it is RTM, big OEMs automatically get it and then internally it is deployed. Then it gets released to premier support customers and then finally an RTW in August.

We'll probably see it leaking out at the end of July same day as RTM or a few days afterwards.

OEMs have 90 days after RTM to get SP2 onto their PCs. Any PCs shipped in those 90days without SP2 will be shipped with an SP2 CD.

I tried SP2 RC2 and thought it was quite good. I had to uninstall it though because it played havoc with synching my iPod with iTunes. :(

I have a fully legal version of XP Pro SP1.

Then I had a SP2 RC1 installed successfully, no problems there.

After SP2 RC2 was released I updated it.

Starting 3 days ago, I am getting the following message after doing a Windows update (either way) -

Cannot validate the product key

The product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid. For more information about why you have received this error message, and steps you can take to resolve this issue, please visit How to Tell.

Anybody else is getting this?

By the way, on a very similar PC, my lesser used one, the same sequence was and is working fine, no issues at all!i

Quote: "on the internet and available on a free CD from Microsoft."

-YES but don't forget that Microsoft will verify that you are using a PAID FOR copy of Windows XP already before they let you have at XP SP2!!! Believe me - they have their Methods!!!

Is it still up to Build 2149 - or is there a more recent Build out?

What version of the ".Net Framework" are you guys getting with the SP2 Beta? I currently have the

".Net Framework V. 2.0 Beta" installed on my machine. I bet you that Microsoft slips it into SP2 before it ships!!!

:shifty:

Oh Microsoft - always a Proprietary solution - why can?t you just use Standard Networking Protocols - and give the people who actually developed the ProtocolCREDITb> for a change?

I just installed SP2 RC2 (XP Home), everything is working just fine, except for one thing. After the logon screen it takes an extra 30 seconds or so to load the apps I have that start up (Zone Alarm, Norton, Winamp, Yzdock). It's like there are more things loading or something. But after that it runs normal again. Any ideas?

That happens to me too, even with less apps that those you have starting automatically. What gives?

creamhackered, is there a reason why MS dont release the RTM to everyone at same time?

It would be further delayed if they did this. Just think:

1. MS need to finalise the code (Which is in English) and run a final round of testing.

2. They will send this out to press on CD's in the US and Ireland.

3. They will begin working on localised translations of the patch.

4. Once these are finished and all burn't onto CD.

5. All the CD's have to be distributed to OEM's and stores to replace Old SP1 stock.

6. OEM's need time to update their custom installs (I believe cream said they have 90 days), during this time each computer will be distributed with a seperate SP2 CD.

7. Microsoft will have to get Windows Update and the Microsoft site ready (in all languages).

8. Release.

Its a lot easier to finalise the code and get it out ASAP. Then deal with translations, OEM distribution, etc.

At least I think so.

Cream will probably have a better prospective on it.

So the main problem of SP2 is compability with old software because of the new security code, don't get me wrong i want security..

I bet most of the software company's don't have even tested their software with SP2.. So when SP2 is final and people starts using it with general software their will be a lot of bugs...

What do you think people...??

:happy:

Just checking through my e-mail and noticed an oem sp2 one and it says

If you registered for the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD, those will be shipped the first week in July.
I guess this date wasn't set in stone but I was wondering if anyone has got theres and if this is the RC2 not the final

if you have the xp firewall enabled, which it probably did by default, your zone alarm load is un-necessary

XP's firewall has no outbound protection at all

relying on it is a mistake

I thought this may be helpful to all of you. Posted by MasterSpy in this thread

Windows XP SP2 RC2:

Antivirus Software Detected Properly:

Grisoft AVG Pro 7.251 Yes

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0.121 Yes

McAfee VirusScan Yes

Panda Software Platinum 7.0 Yes

Panda Software Titanium Antivirus 2004 3.01.00 No

Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2004 No

Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security Yes

Zone Labs ZoneAlarm Security Suite 5.0 No

Firewall Software Detected Properly:

Agnitum Outpost 2.1 No

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus Yes

Panda Software Platinum 7.0 Pavfires Yes

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 No

Symantec Norton Personal Firewall 2004 No

Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 11.31 Yes

Zone Labs ZoneAlarm 4.5 and 5.0 (free edition) No

Zone Labs ZoneAlarm Security Suite 5.0

And ZoneAlarm 4.5 Pro No

Master Spy.

Leebobs :D

My Mistake

Edited by leebobs

WRONG. XP SP2's firewall has inbound and outbound protection. It is a complete re-write of the junky one from XP's release.

That is not correct. The SP2 firewall just enhances inbound request blocking. There is no outbound blocking at all.

You might want to look at the product overview, which mentions outbound requests will always succeed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/product...n/firewall.aspx

That said, outbound blocking isn't much of a priority for firewalls anyway unless you have a virus or trojan that is on your computer and trying to spread or send back information, but your virus scanner should take care of that.

Eh... I was relying on an old relase of that document. It seems as if they have "re-worded" it too say the least.

"Other than checking the source IP address, ICF does not do any outbound packet inspection." Although, that should protect you from the majority of internet attacks (with all the added inbound protection).

Plus if you are such are security nut, you may have forgotten the first rule of firewalling:

1. Never run the firewall [your only firewall] on the system you seek to protect.

If you are that obsessed with security may I suggest you buy / or make a dedicated firewall box. While your at it you may as well get an IDS, and Biometric passwording... Anti-Social engineering forums, Leave you main mission critical systems off line, put all daily backups in a fireproof safe, run weekly threat responce actions... You get the idea

Well answered my own question, but if anyone else is intrested I e-mailed microsoft to ask about SP2

Hello,

Thank you for your message.? Delivery of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD is scheduled to start by July 9.? Due to the overwhelming number of participants, we ask that you please allow 4 weeks to receive your CD. If you have not received your CD by August 1, 2004, please email us at

What kind of dumb service pack doesn't recognize the two market leaders in security products (I'm talking about NAV and Zone Alarm Pro)? Lol, perhaps MS are planning to buy all the other vendors and this is part of their monopoly behaviour!

Cod

What kind of dumb service pack doesn't recognize the two market leaders in security products (I'm talking about NAV and Zone Alarm Pro)? Lol, perhaps MS are planning to buy all the other vendors and this is part of their monopoly behaviour!

Cod

they have to make their security products support the microsoft security center. it isn't microsoft's fault.