The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

I'm sure when I downloaded RC2 the filename of SP2 RC2 was called "sp2rc2.exe"??? If so, if you go here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/sp2predl.mspx and click on "English Version" it comes down as "xpSP2.exe" !!! (Ignoring the fact that the top of page says RC2)

Could this actually be SP2 final???

SP2 is slated for the first week of August now, I think they're still working on it...Highly doubtful it will be released before the end of the month.

Sorry for not searching through this post.. little big.. but I downloaded 2149 off of WU just to see how it is but now seem to have a wierd problem of windows explorer starting up when first starting windows.

I don't really see a service for this, and my start-up options are the same as before, just my wireless program and ad muncher.

Any way to stop this?

SP2 is slated for the first week of August now, I think they're still working on it...Highly doubtful it will be released before the end of the month.

Just installed the file I d/l and it is v2149

Na, i think SP2 is done and ready with 2162 but we have to wait for WU to be completely finished now. WU will be the main delivery system for SP2 and perhaps there is something small to work out with it yet. I agree, first week in august seems likely tho.

is there a list of fixed for SP2, just like there was with SP1. That list of like 100+ fixes?

I have searched microsofts site and I have found nothing.

I'm curious. I have a legit copy of XP Pro SP1 intergrated. It's one of those university deals. I'm just a tad afraid to update to this version of SP2 in case it locks me out, my product ID isn't 640 (or anywhere near the 641-649 range for that matter)

Anyone have a XXXXX-008-XXXXXXX-XXXXX going that sucessfully update to this build, or any build of SP2 for that matter?

I'm curious. I have a legit copy of XP Pro SP1 intergrated. It's one of those university deals. I'm just a tad afraid to update to this version of SP2 in case it locks me out, my product ID isn't 640 (or anywhere near the 641-649 range for that matter)

Anyone have a XXXXX-008-XXXXXXX-XXXXX going that sucessfully update to this build, or any build of SP2 for that matter?

:blink:

eu... legit?? yeah sure, if it is, why you bother asking that question??? you should know that all legit copy don't have any problem with that... think about when it go out: "Thank you for buying windows, but you didn't bough one wih a product id valid for sp2 so buy again please"... yeah right....

Uh, there's been several people that have legit copies that were locked out of their installs. They even posted as such here in several of the build post threads. This is why I'm asking.

Happens to me too. If I go to Winupdate from MS's site though it works fine.

Only have the problem when I try to connect from the tools drop down.

1) you need winupdate v5

2) you need to merge a special registry key to have the sp2 rc2 2162 appear into WU. This key is sent buy microsoft to beta tester.

Also, I had seen some ppl on the comments of the first news about rc2 2162 release and they say that after update, they still see "SP2 v.2149" in there computer... I just made an update (without uninstalling, since microsoft says its ok to do so) with windows update and when I look at my version info, it sais 2162 so I don't see the problem.

Do you really think we can put that kind of pressure on MS :argh:

I don't think we put any pressure on microsoft... Or else, it would already be out...

As he says, this is something that ****ed me off... That it be xp sp2, doom 3 or half-life 2, its all "oh, it was suppose to be gold this day and its delayed 1 years later...", "they just sucked, they fixed a day and can't even respect it, a new delay again" and so on...

What do you want? that they put a product on the market, you try to play, find many bug and then say "this game sux because it have so much bug, they should release a patch" and then the patch take 1 year to go out, so in meanwhile, you toss the game and say you wasted your money... or do you prefer waiting 1 more year, having a product "bug free" (well, better then it was 1 year before) and say "hey, it wort the waiting"...

Same here for update, patch, program... you prefer that microsoft release 1 sp each 6 months/year like 2000 had??? how much time it take to have 3 sp... not too long... would you rather had 1 service pack fix all of them at once and in the meanwhile having some patch???

They say release date, but nothing keeps them from respecting these days... They could only says: "The product will come out when it will. This way, nobody will come crying to us saying we don't respect any release date. So no release date will be fixed internal or external."

u can get Windows Update V5 simply by changing

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

to

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Then download and install it all, btw, i didnt know if this was posted cos i cant search thru 70 pages!

I don't think we put any pressure on microsoft... Or else, it would already be out...

As he says, this is something that ****ed me off... That it be xp sp2, doom 3 or half-life 2, its all "oh, it was suppose to be gold this day and its delayed 1 years later...", "they just sucked, they fixed a day and can't even respect it, a new delay again" and so on...

What do you want? that they put a product on the market, you try to play, find many bug and then say "this game sux because it have so much bug, they should release a patch" and then the patch take 1 year to go out, so in meanwhile, you toss the game and say you wasted your money... or do you prefer waiting 1 more year, having a product "bug free" (well, better then it was 1 year before) and say "hey, it wort the waiting"...

Same here for update, patch, program... you prefer that microsoft release 1 sp each 6 months/year like 2000 had??? how much time it take to have 3 sp... not too long... would you rather had 1 service pack fix all of them at once and in the meanwhile having some patch???

They say release date, but nothing keeps them from respecting these days... They could only says: "The product will come out when it will. This way, nobody will come crying to us saying we don't respect any release date. So no release date will be fixed internal or external."

The developers for America's Army want more people like you on their forum.

Lots of people crying at them for new patches have made them pretty reclusive now and again...they don't release a patch until its done. And its done when there are no bugs. They hate saying when a patch will be released (used to give general estimates) becuase it has bitten them in the ass too many times : the time of the month suggested as an estimated release date rolls around and the entire forum erupts into a gigantic fireball when the patch isn't released 'on-time'.

I agree completely, there should be no bugs in the product released to the public...however, there isn't such a thing as 'no bugs'. A line must be drawn between perfect and good enough. When that line is crossed, products should be released.

G

I agree with you for the line. When I say "no bugs", I know it nearly impossible to do a bug free product. People just need to learn that, but it seems hard to understand.

Yes, they didn't release the patch in time, who cares??? Do you want a patch that will have many bug and need another patch to patch or a fully fonctionnal patch??? They could also say: "well, we didn't make it in time and since all of you people crying that we didn't respect our "estimated release date", we won't release it at all. I would laught so much at these people if a cie would do that.

I agree with you for the line. When I say "no bugs", I know it nearly impossible to do a bug free product. People just need to learn that, but it seems hard to understand.

Yes, they didn't release the patch in time, who cares??? Do you want a patch that will have many bug and need another patch to patch or a fully fonctionnal patch??? They could also say: "well, we didn't make it in time and since all of you people crying that we didn't respect our "estimated release date", we won't release it at all. I would laught so much at these people if a cie would do that.

Exactly =P

Windows Update will be ONE of the ways to get XP SP2 onto machines. Did you guys forget about CD-Roms? Once it reaches RTM Gold - SP2 will be put into Retail "Win XP" boxes. This is the prefered method - since they put the little serial number on there & it has the anti-pirating tech. It is how MS sells Units - to OEMS who they install it on thier machines & Directly to Consumers - Windows Update is a good way to do just that - Update Windows already installed on Machines - it is Microsoft's method to Maintain thier Market Dominance & make sure that people don't venture off to Linux Land. Personally I Ventured off to Linux Land just to see what the big fuss was all about - I learned what "software" really was & the many numerous Marketing tricks that MicroSoft Uses - I still Mostly Use Windows XP however - it has mad crazy Support while Linux is all about DIY!!! :yes:

It could be worse.. isn't the latest Duke Nukem game a good 5 years behind schedule already? :p Talk about a blunder... all those people posting on that forum all these years.

Windows Update will be ONE of the ways to get XP SP2 onto machines. Did you guys forget about CD-Roms? Once it reaches RTM Gold - SP2 will be put into Retail "Win XP" boxes. This is the prefered method - since they put the little serial number on there & it has the anti-pirating tech. It is how MS sells Units - to OEMS who they install it on thier machines & Directly to Consumers - Windows Update is a good way to do just that - Update Windows already installed on Machines - it is Microsoft's method to Maintain thier Market Dominance & make sure that people don't venture off to Linux Land. Personally I Ventured off to Linux Land just to see what the big fuss was all about - I learned what "software" really was & the many numerous Marketing tricks that MicroSoft Uses - I still Mostly Use Windows XP however - it has mad crazy Support while Linux is all about DIY!!! :yes:

notice we aren't talking about the RTM one but the beta one... your a bit out of the topic...

but as for the linux thing, I personnaly use linux too (gentoo since not very much time, but I was a red hat guru before that) and yes, it is DIY, but with all distribution (like red hat or mandrake) everywhere, it's pretty much the same as windows. Everything as an interface, auto install prog, etc...

Hey all,

Just back from a Weekend away :shifty: with my Girlfriend :whistle:... Have updated the main page with the latest SP2 info.

Uh, there's been several people that have legit copies that were locked out of their installs. They even posted as such here in several of the build post threads. This is why I'm asking.

Ah right, ive just never heard of that happening :) Iif its legit im sure its unlikely