The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

I have one more question and I realy don't want to read the whole topic again... :s

My gf's laptop needs to be totally cleaned up (I'll do a data backup and reformat the HDD) and I'd like to reinstall Windows XP with a slipstreamed SP2. From what I've heard before the SP2 would be release in the 1st week of August, right? If that's true I can wait a few more weeks before cleaning the laptop, however if it isn't going to be released until September I'll install WinXP SP1 with the updates seperatly. What do you people think? Should I wait and hope it's going to be released in august(1st week) or should I clean it up now and install SP2 later (don't realy want to do that, but the laptop needs some cleaning very soon).

uhh... that's kind of up to you and her...

personally if the thing is falling apart i would just rebuild in then apply the sp when you get it, even if it's the next day.

Well it's not falling apart but it's terribly slow. Actually they have 2 laptops which are almost the same, and we had to switch everything (using Nortong ghost images) because of a hardware problem. Even though both hardware configs were very much both same it wasn't very succesfull. So I'll have to rebuild the whole system. Everything works, but it's just soooo slow. They can wait a few more weeks but I don't think more than a month...

maybe you should have run the install switch (I wish I could remember what it is already) that you can run so on next reboot, it detect again every piece of hardware (it kind of start the setup process but only for the hardware). This way, you don't have any hardware problem. Also, a ghostwalk might help.

RTM is now in the build strings of XPSP2 builds. Nearing final now :)

YAY! YAY!

today was one of the scheduled dates. perhaps we'll see final next week sometime.

YAY! YAY!

today was one of the scheduled dates. perhaps we'll see final next week sometime.

What so the RTM is already out?????? I dont get it lol :blush:

Ah right, ive just never heard of that happening :) Iif its legit im sure its unlikely

Yeah I actually didn't have any problem. Didn't even get asked to reactivate again.

Running smoothly here, though for some reason my mouse scrolling is....weird...I'd report it as a bug, but since I'm not a "real" tester I don't think I should lol

when ever i got to windows update, a download box comes up asking wether to save or open the file v5track.bin, what should i do.

Never came across it before :s But i thought the V5 track file was so it can allow WU to check update history maybe?

when ever i got to windows update, a download box comes up asking wether to save or open the file v5track.bin, what should i do.

i meant to this guy... maybe he is using some starnge browser which isnt IE so he gets a download dialogue as its not supported or something. Have done it myself with firefox by accident, but i didnt get a download dialogue. Thats why i put "supid question"

Buddy, try selecting TLS 1.0 in Internet Options--->Advanced and check use TLS 1.0 :) Let me know if it works or not lol.

If not try register the files again!

Try registering the necessary files:

Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.

"REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok.

"REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok.

"REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok

"REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok.

"REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok.

"REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok.

"REGSVR32 WUAUCLT.EXE" (w/o quotes)

Press Ok.

Edit: Baldmonkey quit jabbering, its a legitimate problem!

If it works give credit to Kwapster lol.

Edited by McGazza

lol im sorry, i chat crap sometimes :p

Lol no worries :)

Anyway any news on SP2 nearing the final? so is the RTM out now or what as pp lare sayin the final is nearly here ?

nevermind guys i fixed the problem it was a registry key i had to change, but WU still shuts down IE when i access it, i get an error, that IE has encountered a problem and must close

Edited by hman333