The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

was that security part in the normal windows xp??? i'm talking about the control panel... bottom left corner of the pic... i could have sworn it wasn't there?!

was that security part in the normal windows xp??? i'm talking about the control panel... bottom left corner of the pic... i could have sworn it wasn't there?!

It wasn't there before for sure. I can't remember seeing it in xp sp1 either.

I get all the Active X popups too, and after working for 9 hours a day on other peoples broken pcs last thing i want to do is fiddle with IE Security settings to figure it out, oh well i'll just use mozilla until i get a day off and a chance to dig deeper.

Installed SP2, and am very happy to find out that my Firewire devices were perfectly detected during every boot. Except for one thing: I can't browse the net if I put all my p2p (bt, kazaa, you-know-what) up. There seems to be some sort of bandwith limiter working under shadow here that I'm not bright enough to figure it out. Disabling and enabling services (that includes ICF and stuffs) prove useless (at least for me). Also, connection and remove-devices icons that I previously enable in SP1 disappeared mysteriously. Requesting anyone's advice to these annoying problems.

So, just curious, since I just saw this... what's this all about... :huh: I have an Athlon XP... what CPU does this have to do with? P4? Ones with HT? Ones not out yet? :unsure:

post-11-1071895072.jpg

Well... just finished UN-installing SP2... the reason? Simple, made accesing My Pc, Explorer, Run command etc... to slow . I took about 20 seconds to laod My Pc on a modest 2.0 ghz pc with 512 sdram. Has anyone else noticed this?

lol... i haven't actually installed it yet... and i don't really plan to. I'm fine right where i am. Though i wonder why there isn't as much of a rush for SP2 as there was for SP1...

So, just curious, since I just saw this... what's this all about... :huh: I have an Athlon XP... what CPU does this have to do with? P4? Ones with HT? Ones not out yet? :unsure:

Looks almost like "Trustworthy Computing"... :unsure:

Its for newer processors with the ability to mark segments of memory execute only and write only.

Some newer 64-bit processors have this ability.. ;)

i;ve visited it countless times, but i keep getting the following error:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

You may wish to try one of these sources for more information about Windows Update:

Support Information

About Windows Update

Windows Update Home Page

Error Number: 0x80070422

is this just from heavy traffic? or is everyone getting this too? cuz i need those 5 updates.

Enable auto updates and the problem goes away. ;)

lol... i haven't actually installed it yet... and i don't really plan to. I'm fine right where i am. Though i wonder why there isn't as much of a rush for SP2 as there was for SP1...

there was a big rush for the SP2 a while back. but after MS issued that it would be delayed everyone just stopped caring....

[...]what CPU does this have to do with? P4? Ones with HT? Ones not out yet?

AMD's Althon64 and Intel's Itanium feature NX technology, which makes the stack unexecutable.

Looks almost like "Trustworthy Computing"

It's completely unrelated to NGSCB.

Hi,

I just finished installing Windows SP2. Dont know if i am going mad or anything but it seems that IE is rendering web-sites faster now :s

Is it just me or can someone confirm this?

Cheers,

Mark