The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

There seems to be some sort of bandwith limiter working under shadow here that I'm not bright enough to figure it out. Disabling and enabling services (that includes ICF and stuffs) prove useless (at least for me).

Im assuming you have "disabled" the QoS packet scheduler?

it makes a fairly big difference to do that

QoS has it's effects if completely disabled ??

Yeah you keep it enabled but set it to 0%

for those that dont know where the QoS control is....Start>Run>gpedit.msc .. under Computer Config goto Admin Templates, then Network, then QoS, double click Limit Reserveable Bandwidth, make sure its enabled, and set to 0%

QoS doesn't do anything unless you have an application that is handled to request via QoS.

It was orignially thought to be a mega bandwidth tweak, because everyone thought that Windows was setting aside 30% of their bandwidth.

What it really really means is that any QoS-aware application will get a minimum of 30% of your bandwidth when it is running.

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=2090

More than likely, you do not have any QoS-aware application, but if you do, you can set it like this.

Be aware of the large bold letter at the end of the page that say "THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR INTERNET BANDWIDTH IN ANY WAY AT ALL"

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=282

just a question about downloading sp2. do you download it from betaplace or from a link provided in the newsgroups, because when i go to betaplace they still have the link to the survey and nothing else, but when i check the newsgroups, they've given me access to the windows sp2 newsgroups so i'm pretty sure i'm in the beta.

and for those wondering i haven't really checked the newsgroups to much so that's why i don't know if they have a download link there.

Im assuming you have "disabled" the QoS packet scheduler?

it makes a fairly big difference to do that

Yeah, I did have it disabled, but so it was before I installed SP2. Multiple BTs did just fine. Just a moment ago I uninstalled SP2 and my connection's back. After reading your reply, I installed SP2 again, did set the QoS as it was meant to be, and here I am, with only one window of BT and a browser running. Weirdly it only applies to my browser, which doesn't happen before I installed SP2. Running another BT window makes no different than unplugging the lan cable. Tried resetting my router but without any luck. And I wonder where goes my connection icon on the taskbar?

Hi,

I just finished installing Windows SP2. Dont know if i am going mad or anything but it seems that IE is rendering web-sites faster now :s

Is it just me or can someone confirm this?

Cheers,

Mark

It's true... IE does seem to be rendering sites faster... but don't complain... ;)

does anyone know why sp2 won't install on my computer?

it brings up the screen for a few seconds then says "sp2 error" "setup cancelled" ???

Are you installing with an account that has admin rights?

For those of you who are having trouble with Automatic Updates do what Astrokat suggested. I did as he suggested by enabling Automatic Updates and it downloaded eveything fine. After that I was able to manually log on the Update page with no problem and was able to download and install the rest of the updates.

just a question about downloading sp2. do you download it from betaplace or from a link provided in the newsgroups, because when i go to betaplace they still have the link to the survey and nothing else, but when i check the newsgroups, they've given me access to the windows sp2 newsgroups so i'm pretty sure i'm in the beta.

and for those wondering i haven't really checked the newsgroups to much so that's why i don't know if they have a download link there.

Log into windowsbeta.microsoft.com with the Passport account you have associated with your beta id.

win xp sp2 biggest piece of junk since win me ,with this release we have the return of bsod issues as well as slow terriblely slow video performance ,i suggest microsoft keep working on this if it is released as is it will ruin windows xp as we know it. :devil:

win xp sp2 biggest piece of junk since win me ,with this release we have the return of bsod issues as well as slow terriblely slow video performance ,i suggest microsoft keep working on this if it is released as is it will ruin windows xp as we know it. :devil:

Does beta mean anything at all to you? :whistle:

You much have a sh*t PC aswell :whistle: Working great for me, aswell for other people that has it. Anyway, if your having problems, are your reporting them on the beta site? I bet your not a beta tester either ;)

So, just curious, since I just saw this... what's this all about...?:huh::? I have an Athlon XP... what CPU does this have to do with?? P4?? Ones with HT?? Ones not out ye:unsure:unsure:

Itanium and Athlon64 / Opteron.

Intel P4/XEON and AMD Athlon XP do not have these Instructions in the CPU.

Execution Protection is to eliminate / reduce the Buffer Overrun error.

I hope that future pentium 4's will include this...probably in Tejas not Northwood or Prescott.

Memory protection technologies

This section provides detailed information about the memory protection technologies included in Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Execution Protection (NX)

What does execution protection do?

Execution protection (also known as NX, or no execute) prevents code execution from data pages such as the default heap, various stacks, and memory pools. Protection can be applied in both user and kernel-mode.

It also forces developers to avoid executing code out of data pages without explicitly marking the pages as executable. This promotes good software engineering and best practices for application and driver developers.

Execution protection is an operating system feature that relies on processor hardware to mark memory with an attribute that indicates that code should not be executed from that memory. Execution protection functions on a per-virtual memory page basis, most often changing a bit in the page table entry (PTE) to mark the memory page.

The actual hardware implementation of execution protection and marking of the virtual memory page varies by processor architecture. However, processors that support execution protection are capable of raising an exception when code is executed from a page marked with the appropriate attribute set. The 32-bit version of Windows currently leverages the ?no-execute page protections? processor feature as defined by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD). This processor feature requires that the processor run in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode.

Although the only processor families with Windows-compatible hardware support for execution protection that are currently shipping are the AMD K8 and the Intel Itanium processor families, it is expected that future 32-bit and 64-bit processors will provide execution protection. Microsoft is preparing for and encouraging this trend by supporting execution protection in its Windows operating systems.

Who does this feature apply to?

Application and driver developers should be aware of execution protection and the requirements of software running on a supporting platform. Applications that perform just-in-time (JIT) code generation or execute memory from the default process stack or heap should pay careful attention to execution protection requirements.

Driver developers are encouraged to be aware of PAE mode on platforms supporting execution protection. PAE mode behavior on Windows systems with less than 4 gigabytes (GB) of physical address space has been changed to reduce driver incompatibilities.

Microsoft is supporting emerging processors that incorporate execution protection by making additions to Windows, beginning with Microsoft? Windows XP Service Pack 2. Execution protection has obvious advantages concerning buffer overrun exploits and promoting general good coding practices for Microsoft and third-party developers.

Edited by xStainDx

I hope everyone is backing up their existing instlations.. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO FINAL SP2 without reformatting, if you do not backup your previous install.

//edit looks like microsoft is forcing a archive in the installer.. good job. :D