Vista SP2 RTM

oh please, 7 is nice but there is not a damn thing wrong with vista.

Exactly where in his comment did it say anything was wrong with Vista :p

I sold my Vista Ultimate DVD on Ebay for $200. I was only joking. SP2 has improved Vista a-lot. Still not as good as Windows 7. I have Vista on my Laptop still :)

Damn! I can't wait. It's finished isn't it?

TechEd 2009 is 11-15 May so we have about 3 weeks.

If you have Windows Update on then you already have most of SP2 already. The fact is you will hardly know the difference between a fully patched SP1 and SP2.

The fact is you will hardly know the difference between a fully patched SP1 and SP2.

Are you kidding me?

If that's even close to being true (unlikely), then i'm ditching it on the last 2 computers and going to Win7. Which will happen when it releases anyway ;)

Has anyone heard of any chances in the RTM build/s for SP2 at all?

Are you kidding me?

If that's even close to being true (unlikely), then i'm ditching it on the last 2 computers and going to Win7. Which will happen when it releases anyway ;)

Has anyone heard of any chances in the RTM build/s for SP2 at all?

No, I am not joking. All SP2 consist of is a roll up of previous bug fixes, Windows Search 4.0, native support for blueray burning and a few other things that have mostly already been made available to SP1 in Windows Update for those that keep Vista patched. SP2 adds no significant features like SP2 for XP did, since that was the exception.

(Previously, Microsoft sold those types of fixes as a new OS or a SE edition of an existing OS.)

If you have Windows Update on then you already have most of SP2 already. The fact is you will hardly know the difference between a fully patched SP1 and SP2.

May have been true with SP1 but it is in no way true of SP2. SP2 brings the Vista kernel up to the same as Server 2008s, so it's definately more than that.

May have been true with SP1 but it is in no way true of SP2. SP2 brings the Vista kernel up to the same as Server 2008s, so it's definately more than that.

Whoa wait....Didn't SP1 bring Vista's kernel in line with Windows Server 2008. I think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_2008#Service_Packs

Because Windows Server 2008 is based on the Windows NT 6.0 Service Pack 1 kernel, the RTM release is considered to be Service Pack 1

With the exception of the updated kernel (Which is to help compatibility with Server 2008 and Windows 7), that is in fact the truth and that is according to Microsoft.

No, I am not joking. All SP2 consist of is a roll up of previous bug fixes, Windows Search 4.0, native support for blueray burning and a few other things that have mostly already been made available to SP1 in Windows Update for those that keep Vista patched. SP2 adds no significant features like SP2 for XP did, since that was the exception.

(Previously, Microsoft sold those types of fixes as a new OS or a SE edition of an existing OS.)

Actually you are Completely wrong, SP2 has over 700 fixes from SP1, ALOT of them are not out as Hotfixes, also there is a lot of added functionality NOT available as updates, I have no idea where you get your information from.

Whoa wait....Didn't SP1 bring Vista's kernel in line with Windows Server 2008. I think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_2008#Service_Packs

It was supposed to originally, but it didn't happen that way.

You'll see that it says Server 2008 is BASED ON it, not that it's the same kernel.

With the exception of the updated kernel (Which is to help compatibility with Server 2008 and Windows 7), that is in fact the truth and that is according to Microsoft.

That's a fairly large exception. I've used many of the SP2 builds and it's an impressive difference on my machines.

Actually you are Completely wrong, SP2 has over 700 fixes from SP1, ALOT of them are not out as Hotfixes, also there is a lot of added functionality NOT available as updates, I have no idea where you get your information from.

No I'm not and let me explain why.

For the majority of people they will notice little to no difference if fully patched because the major bug fixes are already automatically installed. Many of the 700 bug fixes are minor fixes or are fixes for specific configurations of hardware and software. Many of them are also enterprise bug fixes that will not affect the average consumer. then you add on top of that Microsoft will make many available that are not installed, but only if requested to fix specific issues that do not affect the majority of people.

So in essence what I am trying to say is for most people there will be little to no difference in the overall end user experience if they remain fully patched and keep their software and drivers updated.

Now show me what specific functionality most users will notice that Microsoft added that is already not available in Windows Update? The fact is there are none.

Vista and Server 2008 do share the same Kernel, hence the reason that 2008 is tagged as SP1 despite being at SP0 stage at this moment in time. Kernel development has been streamlined between the 2 to reduce overheads.

That's a fairly large exception. I've used many of the SP2 builds and it's an impressive difference on my machines.

Maybe you are suffering from the placebo effect that many experience when they install a service pack or maybe the SP reset some bad settings in the registry to better settings?

Hey, here's a good question : Does anyone know if the "forgetful folder view" bug is still present in SP2?

Edit : It's fixed. Hooray, about frickin time too!

I'm looking forward to Win7 a lot more than Vista SP2, that's for sure.

Edited by Raa

Vista was such a failure, it's dead even before the new windows came out.

:rolleyes: yeah, if it was such a failure why they base Windows 7 on it? and it's far from dead, god you Vista bashers need to get a clue.

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to SP2 :happy: